Coopers Community

Second Yeast?

BlueBru

After 2 weeks in the FV, with a OG of 1040, the density has settled at 1012. Can I add a second quantity of yeast to achieve a lower FG? The yeast used was the supplied bag of Coopers from under the lid and I expected the FG to be lower. 

How much fermentables is to much for the 7g if Coopers yeast? Will it get to a point where it quotes Monty Python and says 'F@#k off I'm full.

For what your brewing Otto is right, all your fermentables are eaten up.

There is a way to eat more sugars, but we are starting to get into advanced settings by doing that. 

Enzymes are the “trick” and there is many to choose from for different fermentation profiles. 

• Like 1

As captain said you can use an enzyme if you really want to dry the beer out. Usually this is added with the initial yeast though. Other option is using a higher attenuating yeast. Some yeats particularly saisons will ferment an all malt brew down to to 1002. You might not like the taste though. They are an acquired taste.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably not a bad idea. 

I don't take much notice of the makeup of the wort when it comes to yeast. The main factors that affect how much is needed are the batch volume and the OG. For batches of the same size, if the OG goes up, more yeast is required. Similarly for batches of the same OG, the higher the volume the more yeast is needed. 

There are other variables such as beer style too. Some styles are better when pitched with what would be considered an underpitch for other styles, as that's what gives the right flavour. Others, such as lagers are better when pitched with a lot of yeast, which would be an overpitch for most other beers.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

On 6/14/2019 at 5:39 PM, BlueBru said:

7g if Coopers yeast

That 7g of yeast multiplies many many times during the ferment and is much more than 7g of yeast at the end ... I have never weighed a yeast cake at the end of a brew 50 -75g would not surprise me or more ... That is all pretty much yeast and the by products of fermentation ... 

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 1