Coopers Community

Should I be worried?

In my haste today, while opening a can of extract that wouldn’t open cooperatively, I have potentially contaminated the extract. My can opener died half way through and not thinking, I used the closest thing which was a butter knife to pry it open. 

Im not sure what was on it, but it definitely wasn’t clean. It was more than likely butter residue from this mornings breakfast. 

Upon realizing what I’d done, I poured the extract into the fermenter followed by 3 Ltrs of boiling water, gave her a stir and then poured in my recently boiled wort that was probably sitting at around 60degrees.....

should I prepare for some nasties or would the boiling water have saved the day? 

Cheers,

Mitch Butterknife 

2 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

In my haste today, while opening a can of extract that wouldn’t open cooperatively, I have potentially contaminated the extract. My can opener died half way through and not thinking, I used the closest thing which was a butter knife to pry it open. 

Im not sure what was on it, but it definitely wasn’t clean. It was more than likely butter residue from this mornings breakfast. 

Upon realizing what I’d done, I poured the extract into the fermenter followed by 3 Ltrs of boiling water, gave her a stir and then poured in my recently boiled wort that was probably sitting at around 60degrees.....

should I prepare for some nasties or would the boiling water have saved the day? 

Cheers,

Mitch Butterknife 

I think you'll be okay. You did everything you can (after realising) to try and kill anything off before adding the wort.

I wouldn't stress on it. IMO you would have to be extremely unlucky to get an infection from doing that. Although, it is possible.

Monitor the fermentation and taste test before kegging or bottling. If it smells and tastes like liquid gold, your all gooooooood 🙂

Edited by MitchellScott
  • Thanks 1

If you had not panicked after the deed  and added the boiling water all would have been good ... the sugar in the wort would have had a very strong osmotic affect on any bacteria and killed them similar to the impact of a high sugar environment in jam and the way it is a preservative ... the hot water was a boo boo as it gave a medium for bacteria to spread and multiply ... I can now sense your panic ... as an ex-microbiologist  I would say that you probably have a 1 billion to 1 chance that it has been contaminated ... 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

If you had not panicked after the deed  and added the boiling water all would have been good...

Wouldn’t say I panicked, but more of a decision to add hot water. Maybe the wrong one in the eyes of a biologist,  what ever will be will be I spose?? 

When does it not become a high sugar environment? 

1 minute ago, MitchBastard said:

When does it not become a high sugar environment? 

When it is diluted ... but originally i was only playing with you ... all is good ....biologically speaking you inadvertently made an environment more suitable for bacterial growth that what was there previously ...

• Haha 1

Should be okay (hopefully).

I smear a little olive oil on my Coopers fermenter tap to help slide it in.  This method is as recommended by Coopers.  The yeasties are supposed to love the oil and seek it out to consume.  It does appear to be the case because I do get yeast sneaking right inside the tap.  

Butter is not exactly olive oil but maybe close enough.

• Like 1

Yeast gets inside the taps I use too, no olive oil necessary for that. 

I do need to take the tap on my fermenter apart though, and put some keg lube in it. This one and the one on my old fermenter leaked slightly (a few drops over the course of a batch, but attracts mould) until I did that.