Coopers Community

Clearing beer after dry hopping

stquinto

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

The idea that cold crashing for more than a few days drops out enough yeast to significantly lengthen the carbonation process, at least in my own experience, is utter rubbish.

You're probably right. My experience is based on 2 CC and siphoning episodes. Both times the sedimentation was really minimal, and carbing slower than usual.  But my garage is far cooler this year as well. Beer only took an extra week, and it's likely more to do with temperature.

I remember posting about one of my first non-fridge brewed beers that took ages to carb. Plenty of yeast in that one, but the garage couldn't stay warm enough to get them going. 

Edited by Lab Rat
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Ive just started filtering my beers. (Keg to Keg) Its a fair bit of a pain at the moment but ill put up with it for a bit. (Just haven't quite worked out a system yet)

Im basically doing some experiments with it to see if I like it or ill be going down the chill for 8 more days route, which I don't want to do as thats like a full ferment and a waste of time. plus I'm a believer in getting it off the cake as soon as practicable. 

My last filtering day was two different size filters to see how they carb up and look. At this stage I think ill be sticking with the 1 micron filter.  

Have done filtering twice with the 1 micron. Its a total pain in the ass but im going to dust mine off with my asian lagers in summar as i cant get them clear despite the fast chill and gelatine and cold crash treatment. It depends on the yeast as well. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all of your comments fellas. Concerning the cloudyness, after dry-hopping I bottled the two batches yesterday (19 days after pitching the yeast), the FG was about 1.08. It tasted pretty good and it had cleared. Unfortunately I only had icing sugar for priming so I dissolved it into hot water and added it to a fresh key. Fingers crossed that the icing sugar works ok...

Hi Greeny.

On 6/14/2019 at 2:00 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Have done filtering twice with the 1 micron. Its a total pain in the ass but im going to dust mine off with my asian lagers in summar as i cant get them clear despite the fast chill and gelatine and cold crash treatment. It depends on the yeast as well. 

Are you Beta-gluc/protein resting &/or step mashing & getting good starch conversion of the rice malt? Maybe not using a high enough potential base malt to convert? Maybe not mashing/boiling long enough for this style of beer?

A combo of the above? 🤔

Cheers,

Lusty.

28 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Hi Greeny.

Are you Beta-gluc/protein resting &/or step mashing & getting good starch conversion of the rice malt? Maybe not using a high enough potential base malt to convert? Maybe not mashing/boiling long enough for this style of beer?

A combo of the above? 🤔

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi lusty. I usually do mine in two steps. I will bring the strike water in a pot on the stove up to 78c then add the kilo of rice and about 200gm of pale malt. Lid goes on the pot and its held there for 20 mins. Aftet then take it up to the boil and boil it for 20 mins. In that time ive prepared my robobrew with the other base malt and usually 100gm of melanoiden. I start to mash the grain at 60c and then add the cereal mash back in. Usually takes it ip to 65 or 66 then hold at 65c for the Mash for 60 mins and boil for 60. Then fast chilled

Efficiency is usually very high with rice. Early 80s brewhouse.

Next one i will take your advice and mash and boil for 90. See if it makes any difference.

Thanks for your comments mate.

HI Greeny.

If I'm reading what you're doing correctly, you're missing the beta-gluc/protein rest for the rice malt.

It should be held @ approx. 50-55°C for at least 15mins prior to moving towards normal mash temps & duration according to the literature. I'm happy to stand corrected on that by any of the AG'ers. Hopefully I'm right on this one. 🤔

On the mash & boil duration thing, PB2 mentioned a clarity improvement by mashing for 90mins OR boiling for 90mins, sorry I can't remember which one?! 🤔 Hopefully PB2 reads this & can clarify that. Sorry I'm not a full AG'er, so didn't take full notice on that one.

Cheers,

Lusty.

11 hours ago, Beerlust said:

HI Greeny.

If I'm reading what you're doing correctly, you're missing the beta-gluc/protein rest for the rice malt.

It should be held @ approx. 50-55°C for at least 15mins prior to moving towards normal mash temps & duration according to the literature. I'm happy to stand corrected on that by any of the AG'ers. Hopefully I'm right on this one. 🤔

On the mash & boil duration thing, PB2 mentioned a clarity improvement by mashing for 90mins OR boiling for 90mins, sorry I can't remember which one?! 🤔 Hopefully PB2 reads this & can clarify that. Sorry I'm not a full AG'er, so didn't take full notice on that one.

Cheers,

Lusty.

It is a 90 minute boil that helps with clarity.

Also, as Lusty says, a beta glucan may be beneficial if it is the beta glucan compounds that are causing the clarity issues. Something to try anyway.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, stquinto said:

Thanks for all of your comments fellas. Concerning the cloudyness, after dry-hopping I bottled the two batches yesterday (19 days after pitching the yeast), the FG was about 1.08. It tasted pretty good and it had cleared. Unfortunately I only had icing sugar for priming so I dissolved it into hot water and added it to a fresh key. Fingers crossed that the icing sugar works ok...

It will work, it's just really finely ground sugar. Nothing wrong with transferring the beer for bulk priming. I used to do that and prefer it over bulk priming in the main fermenter.

4 hours ago, Hairy said:

It is a 90 minute boil that helps with clarity.

Also, as Lusty says, a beta glucan may be beneficial if it is the beta glucan compounds that are causing the clarity issues. Something to try anyway.

Thank you guys. Will give it a shot with the beta glucan rest and the 90 min mash and boil and report back.

• Like 2