Coopers Community

Looks like your prayers have been answered... Coopers XPA Clone

2 hours ago, Instigator said:

Bugger. Maybe if there's interest someone can grab a pack and split it up. I haven't seen it in stock anywhere else. With the discount it's only $27 + shipping and there's enough for 20 brews.

Last time I checked, KegLand had them in stock.

EDIT, looks like they still do - https://www.kegland.com.au/lemondrop-100g-pellet-hop.html

Edited by MitchellScott
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Gazzala said:

Received my XPA ROTM ingredients today - one pack of the Simcoe hops look like this - I should send these back, right??

45141647-61F2-4ACC-A434-74FBA05A59A8.jpeg

I've had hops that looked similar to that before, although not that crushed up. I thought it was caused by how much they vacuum sealed the container. Hard to be sure though. 

The coppers support are brilliant so I'm sure if you shoot them an email they will help out. 

Edited by MitchellScott
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Gazzala said:

Received my XPA ROTM ingredients today - one pack of the Simcoe hops look like this - I should send these back, right??

45141647-61F2-4ACC-A434-74FBA05A59A8.jpeg

No reason to, that's what the pellets turn out like once you put them into a fermenter/boil. Still going to give the same end product 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The photo might not show it but they don’t look crushed to me - they look they’ve gotten wet - I would’ve thought they would lose some of their effectiveness if they had been wet then dried out - which is how they look to me...

But if the general consensus is that they’ll be fine then I’ll just use them.

@PB2 - would be interested to hear your thoughts?

It's a little difficult to tell from the pic whether the hops are still moist or are perhaps powdery. Either way the pellets have broken down. It's not something I generally like to see when I receive or purchase any pellet hops. You almost feel obligated to use them all up fairly quickly as the broken down matter seems to dry must faster than the solid pellets, losing its oomph as a consequence.

When you open the hops for your brew day make sure there is an obvious, notable hoppy aroma to them. If they seem to present a little lack-lustre, I'd be contacting the customer service line.

On a positive note, the hops are part of a ROTM that you will use up quickly, & my own dealings with Coopers ROTM's I'm yet to have any problems with the quality of the hops contained in them. 🙂

Best of luck with the brew,

Lusty.

12 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

Just wondering

Yes, I use Brewman a lot. Custom Wyeast orders hops and grains. Great reliable service.
I have just ordered some Lemondrop and Simcoe from him this week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Yes, I use Brewman a lot. Custom Wyeast orders hops and grains. Great reliable service.
I have just ordered some Lemondrop and Simcoe from him this week.

Cheers Ben. I might do the same. Any idea on where they're based and freight costs etc? 

No dramas.

I tried another one of these XPAs yesterday. Bloody delicious.

Looking closer at the recipe, I can't see how only a 10 minute boil of a total of roughly 37g of hops in about 3 litres of water could add anywhere near enough flavour and aroma to a batch size of 24 litres. The efficiency of such a small amount of hops in such a small boil size could not possibly impart the required taste as the real thing, surely. The total dry hop is roughly the same too.

Im happy to stand corrected as I'd like to try and replicate this new beer, but I don't think this would come close.

1 hour ago, karlos_1984 said:

So I've found another online vendor that apparently sells lemon drop hops, amongst other things at fairly good prices. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of it and/or purchased from it before? 

www.brewman.com.au

Brewman is awesome. The only place I get my ingredients from

On 6/21/2019 at 1:40 PM, karlos_1984 said:

So I've found another online vendor that apparently sells lemon drop hops, amongst other things at fairly good prices. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of it and/or purchased from it before? 

www.brewman.com.au

Steve at Brewman is great. I only order hops and Wyeast from him. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

1.8 is a little less than 25 😜

It was around the time you had to buy that incredibly low alpha Saaz.

You needed about half a kilo of it alone for your Czech Pilsner recipe just to hit your intended IBU. 🤣 

Cheers,

Lusty.