Coopers Community

Dark ale ideas

I've recently been enjoying a Cooper's Dark ale I made as a basic K&K to 19 ltrs with CCA yeast. For a basic extract beer it's surprisingly good. Although I thought I'd make it again with some extra additions and would like some feedback on the following recipe and what some thoughts would be to improve on the standard extract beer. Was thinking of doing the following:

1 can Cooper's Dark Ale

1kg light DME

200g choc malt

200g roasted barley

150g toasted oats

CCA yeast

19 ltrs

Would obviously steep the grains/oats for 30mins at about 70 degrees.

Would this end up a tasty beer or should I make some adjustments? Basically after something with a nice roasted malt n choc notes to the already delicious dark ale flavour seeing it's winter.

Like the idea of dark DME. However I took advantage of the uncle Dan's bundle deal that gets u the dark ale and be3 for $17 so figured I'd use that. I know it's not 1kg of only malt and there's a bit of Dex n maltodextrine in there but with the other steeped grains it'd only improve the end result. 

What would US05 offer instead of the CCA yeast?

When I put 100g of choc in my Hopgobbler (close to Yeastyboy's recipe), it was way bitter to start with. It's mellowing out to something like a lite Porter.

If I was to go 200g, I'd be upping the malt to counter it. For me, BE3 would make a thin beer, I like malt backbone in my bitters and darks.

At 19l, you might end up with a Mocha monster. If that's what you're going for, it should get there.

Edited by Lab Rat

8 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

However I took advantage of the uncle Dan's bundle deal that gets u the dark ale and be3 for $17 so figured I'd use that. 

What a good buy that was. I could only buy 2 because my local Dan only had 2 x BE3 in stock.

5 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

What's the reason for the oats?

Purely experimental. Ive toasted them and I want to see if they'll add any sort of flavour. You've told me previously I need to use oats with a base malt to benefit from using them, even though I've added oats to 2 previous extract based brews and it's added body and cloudiness to get the NEIPA style I was after with those respective brews and they were both delicious. I'm all about trying things just because. What's the worst that could happen? 

Dark LME is made with black malt, not roasted barley, so Dark LME is not a substitute for roasted barley. Most likely the Dark Ale kit is also made with black malt. Black malt  lends roasted and bitter chocolate flavour, as you noted in you previous brew. 

I find Thomas Fawcett's Pale Chocolate malt has nice chocolate notes. Joe White might be similar, as they have a similar colour.

To me roasted barley tastes like espresso. I find it very astringent and aggressive. If you want chocolate, I would drop the roasted barley, as it will dominate the flavour.  You could replace it with black malt or, for a smoother flavour, Midnight Wheat, or a combo of black malt and Midnight Wheat. Wheat does not have a husk, so it is less astringent. I would be inclined to knock the amount back a bit though. I would suggest 100gm black malt, or 150gm Midnight Wheat, or 75gm black malt + 75gm Midnight Wheat. 

Good luck, and cheers. 

Christina.

PS Not sure 150gm of toasted oats would be noticeable. I would drop them.

I like espresso so I may still include the barley.

The other option would be to still use some choc malt and do some late hop additions and kind of make a cascadian dark ale or lower ABV Black IPA. Really love those style of beers too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 1:26 PM, Gazzala said:

I got one of those bundles too - will be brewing in Saturday but currently undecided on whether to do just the K&K or a Toucan with a Coopers Lager...

Did you make a Coopers Lager Toucan? Any good?

Got some tins for half price recently and want to try brewing lager now that I have a temperature controlled fridge. 

Yeah I did a Toucan with the dark Ale + Lager + 1kg BE3 - currently cold crashing - should be bottling tomorrow. The FG sample tasted really good. Very happy at this stage. Will post an update once it’s been in the bottle a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2019 at 12:23 AM, ChristinaS1 said:

Dark LME is made with black malt, not roasted barley, so Dark LME is not a substitute for roasted barley. Most likely the Dark Ale kit is also made with black malt. Black malt  lends roasted and bitter chocolate flavour, as you noted in you previous brew. 

I find Thomas Fawcett's Pale Chocolate malt has nice chocolate notes. Joe White might be similar, as they have a similar colour.

To me roasted barley tastes like espresso. I find it very astringent and aggressive. If you want chocolate, I would drop the roasted barley, as it will dominate the flavour.  You could replace it with black malt or, for a smoother flavour, Midnight Wheat, or a combo of black malt and Midnight Wheat. Wheat does not have a husk, so it is less astringent. I would be inclined to knock the amount back a bit though. I would suggest 100gm black malt, or 150gm Midnight Wheat, or 75gm black malt + 75gm Midnight Wheat. 

Good luck, and cheers. 

Christina.

PS Not sure 150gm of toasted oats would be noticeable. I would drop them.

I agree re: Fawcett's pale choc.   Other darker choc malts I can't tolerate... even Gladfield's light choc is too much! 

Other options to also consider are Carafa Special I,II & III (dehusked).   They say:  "Even small amounts of Carafa Special malt in the grain bill produce dark beers of unusual smoothness and mildness with a firm, creamy, white head."

• 3 weeks later...

I've looked into this recipe again. Have got the following:

Dark ale tin

1kg BE3

150g roasted barley

200g choc malt 1200

100g Columbus hops.

Want to do a steep/sparge then a decent size boil with the BE3 thrown in.

After ideas on a suitable hop schedule with the Columbus. It won't be a dark IPA regarding ABV, bit if I can get a nice balance of the choc and hops similar to a black IPA that'd be great.