Coopers Community

The English Bitter Thread!

I don't usually use much in the way of late hops in my bitters either, after reading the style guidelines which suggested late hops aren't really used in the style, as well as trying commercial examples which weren't particularly hoppy. They usually turn out pretty well but there is definitely improvement there. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

I see you used no late hops. Interesting.

I don't really see the need for late hops in some styles. 
Moderate to low hop flavour says BJCP......

And it is funny as I just happened to have ordered the Toasted Malt, and it was there....

3 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

I don't really see the need for late hops in some styles. 
Moderate to low hop flavour says BJCP......

And it is funny as I just happened to have ordered the Toasted Malt, and it was there....

Yes,  you are right. I may have added too many late hops. I can't do anything about the hops already in my brew, but think I will skip the dry hopping....Next time I will switch to using the APA kit as the base, and add less hops late in the boil.

Regarding the toasted malt, I see I have an error in my recipe.  I actually used toasted barley, not toasted wheat....I hate not being able to edit stuff anymore, since they upgraded the site.

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1

I like a little late hopping in my English Bitters. Nothing over the top and using English hops which don't really pack a big punch.

Not that I strictly adhere to the style guidelines when brewing for myself but I guess it would be considered moderate hop flavour and still be in style.

• Like 1

I like a little late hopping in my English Bitters. Nothing over the top and using English hops which don't really pack a big punch.

Not that I strictly adhere to the style guidelines when brewing for myself but I guess it would be considered moderate hop flavour and still be in style.

I am with you Hairy, on liking a bit of late hops in my English Bitters. I will continue to use them, but I may have overdone it with this one.

I think I am going to follow your example Hairy and try Wyeast 1469 on my next ordinary bitter. They say that because of their low starting gravity it is important to keep the FG up  around 1.011 or it ends up being too watery. I have been playing around with my brewing software and even if I leave out Demerara sugar, mash at 68C, and use a ratio of 2L/kg for my partial mash, the FG gets too low with most yeasts, including the MJ Liberty Bell I used in this one. But Wyeast 1469 looks like it might be the ticket....If I try it, it will be my first time using liquid yeast.

I don't know why I am such a liquid yeast chicken. 😄 If I can get three brews out of it, it is not that expensive. I need to go back and look at Kelsey's thread on yeast viability, the one he made after he got his microscope. While I love English Bitter, I am not sure I want to make three in a row.

When you make your bitter Hairy, can you please post a copy of your recipe in this thread? Thanks!

And that goes for everyone: if you make a bitter, please copy your recipe here. 👍

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1

Brew day tomorrow; time for my Frankenbitter. 

Definitely not to style but I came up with this when playing around with some different grains and really liked it. I might follow it up with a more traditional bitter.

4kg Gladfield Ale Malt

650g Gladfield Munich I

200g Weyermann Special W

150g Caraaroma

50g Choc malt (English)

20g Target @ 60 minutes

10g Challenger @ 10 minutes

15g Challenger @ whirlpool

15g Bramling Cross @ Whirlpool

15g Styrian Gouldings @ Whirlpool

23 litres

Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale

OG - 1052

FG - 1015

IBU - 36

• Like 2

I usually use Special B but the LHBS didn’t have any. I used Special W in my last version of this beer for the same reason and it seemed to work well.

I’m also looking forward to seeing what Bramling Cross adds to this beer.

6 hours ago, Hairy said:

I misjudged how much Ale Malt I had left so I had to go with:

2kg Gladfield Ale malt

2kg Gladfield American Ale malt

It really is a Frankenstein beer now.

Is there much difference between the two malts anyway??

23 hours ago, Hairy said:

I misjudged how much Ale Malt I had left so I had to go with:

2kg Gladfield Ale malt

2kg Gladfield American Ale malt

It really is a Frankenstein beer now.

The most Maris Otter I can fit in my (partial mash) brews is 1kg, so you are doing better than me. 😄 And your hops and yeast are English. 

Never heard of Special W. Is that like Special B but made out of wheat? 

Cheers,

Christina.

On 6/11/2019 at 5:22 PM, King Ruddager said:

Just did a search for "blackcurrant" on the LHBS website and the two results that came back were Bramling Cross and Brewers Gold ...

...and Pacific Gem.  I used Gem in a bitter,  obviously too much because it was bloody awful.  Tasted like steeped twigs.  I later followed with another bitter using Bramling Cross instead. It also tasted pretty woody.  If by 'blackcurrent' they mean 'dried rotting wood' then, yeah... lot's of 'blackcurrent' in these hops!   😄

In hindsight I think the main problem was I simply used too much of these hops, too late... and in fact I think I also had a steep addition in one of these beers.  These hops are definitely going to give you earthy/woody notes,  dunno about the berries though!  I'd approach with some caution - particularly if using Pacific Gem.    

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Never heard of Special W. Is that like Special B but made out of wheat? 

Cheers,

Christina.

I think it is the Weyermann version of the Belgian Special B. It is supposed to be pretty similar.

I'll be putting this one down in the next day or so.  Last batch for a while which will be bottled before I head off to the UK for a few weeks!

Pretty straight forward 60/40 (grain/kit) partial mash recipe:

• 1.7kg Coopers OS lager
  • 2kg GF Ale Malt
  • 250g GF Med. Crystal
  • 150g GF Biscuit Malt
  • 50g Carafa III
  • 25g Fuggles @ 20mins 
  • 25g EKG @ 5mins
  • 5g Gypsum
  • M36

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BlackSands said:

I'll be putting this one down in the next day or so.  Last batch for a while which will be bottled before I head off to the UK for a few weeks!

Pretty straight forward 60/40 (grain/kit) partial mash recipe:

• 1.7kg Coopers OS lager
  • 2kg GF Ale Malt
  • 250g GF Med. Crystal
  • 150g GF Biscuit Malt
  • 50g Carafa III
  • 25g Fuggles @ 20mins 
  • 25g EKG @ 5mins
  • 5g Gypsum
  • M36

Lucky you, going to the UK. Be sure to hit some pubs (or actual breweries) and bring back some tasting notes. 

Nice looking recipe.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BlackSands said:

...and Pacific Gem.  I used Gem in a bitter,  obviously too much because it was bloody awful.  Tasted like steeped twigs.  I later followed with another bitter using Bramling Cross instead. It also tasted pretty woody.  If by 'blackcurrent' they mean 'dried rotting wood' then, yeah... lot's of 'blackcurrent' in these hops!   😄

In hindsight I think the main problem was I simply used too much of these hops, too late... and in fact I think I also had a steep addition in one of these beers.  These hops are definitely going to give you earthy/woody notes,  dunno about the berries though!  I'd approach with some caution - particularly if using Pacific Gem.    

They are two different things. Woody is due to cayrophylleneI whereas "blackcurrant" is usually due to 4-mercapto-4-methylpentan-2-one (4MMP) which comes across as catty to some people.

I have read that 4MMP does not appear in European hops and I have not been able to find mention of Brambling Cross and 4MMP, but they say one of its parents was a wild Manitoba hop, which are high in 4MMP.  I used to have two black currant bushes and they smelled a lot like cat pee to me, when I was picking them. Not something I necessarily want in my beer, but might be okay in small amounts. 4MMP is said to be an aroma "lifter." 

I have also read blackcurrant can come from 3-sulfanylhexan-1-ol (3SH) and 4-methyl-4-sulfanylpentan-2-one (4MSP), but not much information about them. 

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 1

@ChristinaS1 this more of a northern English brown ale, l call it a bitter, still very good

4.20kg coopers ale malt

0.410kg caramel/ crystal

0.160kg choc malt

16.00g challenger boil 60min

16.00g east kent- goldings boil 60min

English ale s-04 yeast

cheers

John

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John304 said:

@ChristinaS1 this more of a northern English brown ale, l call it a bitter, still very good

4.20kg coopers ale malt

0.410kg caramel/ crystal

0.160kg choc malt

16.00g challenger boil 60min

16.00g east kent- goldings boil 60min

English ale s-04 yeast

cheers

John

Yes, as you say, more of a Brown Ale, but it still looks yummy. Thanks! 

What brand and type (pale vs dark) of chocolate malt do you use?

Cheers,

Christina.

16 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Yes, as you say, more of a Brown Ale, but it still looks yummy. Thanks! 

What brand and type (pale vs dark) of chocolate malt do you use?

Cheers,

Christina.

Item

Sku

Qty

Subtotal

Coopers Ale Malt

COOPERALEMALT

AU$15.00

Gladfield Light Crystal Malt 50 °EBC

GFLIGHTX

AU$2.64

Gladfield Supernova Malt 114°EBC

GFNOVA

AU$0.99

Subtotal

AU$18.63

Shipping & Handling

AU$0.00

Tax

AU$1.69

Grand Total

AU$18.63

On 6/19/2019 at 2:13 PM, ChristinaS1 said:

Just put this baby down:

Brown Sugar Bitter with Toasted Malt

1.7kg Coopers Mexican Cervesa
1.0kg Maris Otter 30.9%
200gm home toasted malt 6.2%
350gm Demerara sugar 10.8%
125gm C75L 3.9%
60gm TF Pale Chocolate 1.9%
30gm Willamette 3.5% AA boiled x 30 min
15gm Willamette boiled x 10 min
20gm Willamette at FO + hop stand x 20 minutes
23L reverse osmosis water
10mL Clarity Ferm
10gm MJ's Liberty Bell yeast, dry pitched

OG 1.041 FG 1.009  ABV 4.17% IBU 28 BU:GU 0.73 EBC 24

Decided to use Demerara sugar this time around, instead of making Inverted Sugar No. 2 syrup. Looking forward to tasting this one.

Cheers,

Christina. 

Bottled this yesterday, using Demerara sugar for bulk priming, for a wee bit more flavour. Bottling leftovers tasted quite carmel-y. I held the dry hops. Looking forward to trying it when it carbs up.

Cheers,

Christina. 

Crystal 75 & Toasted Wheat Bitter

1.7kg Coopers Lager
650gm Briess Golden Light LME (half container) 18%
750g Maris Otter 20.8%
200gm home toasted wheat malt 5.5% 
250gm C75L 6.9%
60gm TF Pale Chocolate 1.7%
15gm Willamette boiled x 20 min
15gm Willamette hop stand x 20 minutes
22L reverse osmosis water
10mL Clarity Ferm
sloppy slurry from previous batch MJ's Liberty Bell yeast. Fridge set to 20C.

OG 1.043FG 1.0011  ABV 4.6% IBU 33 BU:GU 0.64 EBC 19

Tried for a thicker mash using 2L/kg x 60 minutes but it seemed too thick for comfort. Added a bit more water to thin it out and ended up missing my target temp of 68C, and mashed at 66C instead. 

OG 1.042 FG 1.009 ABV 4.21%+ 0.5% = 4.7%;  IBU 33 BU:GU 0.78 EBC 20.5. Will use Demerara sugar for bulk priming again.
  • Like 1