Coopers Community

The English Bitter Thread!

17 hours ago, Graubart said:

Mmmm and it makes me terribly sad to look at this picture as the keg is completely devoid of any festive fluid and as well it needs cleaning 😋

Well it is a damn nice looking beer @Graubart  As I assume there is no Frau Graubart I thought would have an army of elf type 'Graubettes' to clean the Brauhaus & the equipment ready for the next brew. That would free up your time for imbibing your lovely beer. 🏃‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 2:22 PM, Tone boy said:

I think I’ve settled on a recipe for my first ESB. Feedback is welcome. If I’ve missed the mark here please let me know. It’s due to be my next brew -in about 2 weeks time. 

Black rock lager kit 1.7 kg (20 ibu’s)

1.2 kg Maris Otter 

300g Munich

200g light crystal 

150g Aromatic 

75g dark crystal 

250g LDME

250g Dextrose

25g EKG @ 30 mins

5g Fuggles @ 30 mins

Lallemand “London”

23 litres

the hops should add about 14 IBU’s by my calculations, for a total of 34 IBU’s. Expected OG 1.050 and Brewfather tells me expected FG is 1.012. BU:GU 0.68. 
I chose the black rock lager kit because it’s a nice clean base to build on with low IBU’s. I think the NZ Draught would also be a good kit as a base because it has some crystal (2.9%) and black malt (1.9%) in it already...so might save some time and effort on brew day...

Brewfather is a bit weird on working out IBU’s on partial mashes for some reason. I think it has a fair bit to do with me having NFI how to use it! I think it assumes all the fermentables are getting thrown into a 8 litre boil! But I’m not sure about that 🤨

Cheers legends 🍻✌️

Had a taste of this again last night. I’m really enjoying it. It’s my first try at this style and can see myself brewing another one. Definitely glad the FG ended up high(ish) at 1.016 as I do get a malty flavour, but not too sweet. Hops are there, but not a smack in the face hopiness. Sorry about the dodgy photo...D8EB87EA-25DD-41EE-8249-CB60C748BE65.thumb.jpeg.ba42b0e57fea0fd2e9f10c3dadef5cc1.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Quick poll of the brains trust (yes that’s you!). I like my attempt at the ESB however I don’t know if I have ever tried the real deal. So I don’t really know how close I am to the real thing.

Question: Does anyone have a recommendation of a good commercial ESB type beer that I can buy for a taste? Just interested to see how close I am…

TIA beer legends 

Tone

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 2:15 PM, Tone boy said:

Sorry about the dodgy photo...

I reckon it's a cool photo Toner w a bit of festive blackboard art in the background quite the hip thing for a Micro Brewery! 🙂

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Quick poll of the brains trust (yes that’s you!). I like my attempt at the ESB however I don’t know if I have ever tried the real deal. So I don’t really know how close I am to the real thing.

Question: Does anyone have a recommendation of a good commercial ESB type beer that I can buy for a taste? Just interested to see how close I am…

TIA beer legends 

Tone

It is more of a Best Bitter but my favourite is Timothy Taylor Landlord.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

It is more of a Best Bitter but my favourite is Timothy Taylor Landlord.

Sound interesting : ) @Hairy

On 6/22/2021 at 3:36 PM, Tone boy said:

a good commercial ESB type beer 

Dunno if Old Peculiar is an ESB but when I think Yorkshire Moors and British Aley Beery stuff I think of a freezing cold but crisp walk across the Moors with a howling wind and then my mind wanders me across to the wood fire at the Lion Inn, Blakey Ridge(Kirkbymoorside, North Yorkshire) where a syrupy dark beautiful brew called Old Peculiar awaits...

Even if it is not an ESB and I don't know far call about the BJCP Guidelines to be honest... but I reckon @Tone boy Toner that Old Peculiar is definitely worth sampling whatever category it lives in...

Only had it in a Pint Glass - a 'Straight' - poured in Pub - so dunno what bottlies are like sorry... 

image.thumb.png.31fc7a49731ff3f2d7f2eb899908f411.png

@Aussiekraut Aussie Kraut though a true Bavarian does seem to know and like a good British Pint @Tone boy Toner - you there AK?

Any suggestions @Aussiekraut for commercially available ESB for Toner to facilitate his ongoing research commitment into Brewing Science?

WRT Pommy Bitter in General - mainstream readily available stuff - I think of big tins of London Pride and Abbott Ale.... but there are quite a few smaller Free Houses around England and Wales that make fantastic Ales that I think are much better than the general bigger brewery lines. 

If you are in Wales and anywhere near Conwy then get yer troosers over to this joint it is sennnnnsational... Albion Ale House - w links to some smaller breweries and brewing seasonal stuff that changes regularly - deffo a good pub to spend a bit of time in and walk back to your accomm or get SOMEONE ELSE to drive you ; )

https://albionalehouse.weebly.com/

Geeeeze Looouise @Tone boy Toner yer asked for a bale and you got a whole semi-load of hay sorry....  you just sent me off on a very enjoyable tangent : )

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks @Hairy and @Graubart ! I enjoyed your ramblings through the old dart Graubster and the whole truckload of hay. I felt like I was walking to the pub with you!

I really don’t know about the beer guidelines but the esb may be in a strong bitter type style - dunno. And hey if the beer tastes good does it really matter? Maybe it does when I’m researching recipes to copy a particular brew…

im definitely going to keep my eyes out for a Timothy Taylor and an old peculiar though and further my research! 
I would love to go over there and check out those old pubs and their festive fluids - maybe one day when we can travel again!

In the meantime, I’ll sample what I can from here, and try to fine tune my esb with the help of all the legends on this site. Pretty happy with how it is at the moment though.

cheers TB

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not my cup of tea but found this recipe for an Australian Old Perculier which maybe @Graubart or others may be interested in having a crack at.  The author of the recipe claims it is in the Old Ale (17 B) category.  I notice his taste notes say "slightly too bitter for style" after aging so maybe that area of recipe needs a tweak.

Australian Old Perculier.PNG

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Tone boy said:

im definitely going to keep my eyes out for a Timothy Taylor and an old peculiar though and further my research! 

Just in case you missed it TB, our friend @stquinto posted a recipe for the Timothy Taylor here.   Scroll down to June 14.

I might even have a crack at one of these myself (just to stretch my envelope in the name of research.... bla bla blah).

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hairy said:

Old Peculiar used to be in the Old Ale category in the previous guidelines.

@Hairy @iBooz2 @Tone boy @Graubart

I've got a recipe for Old Peculier in my Camra Home Brew book. So far I've only made Timothy Taylor Landlord and Old Speckled Hen, the extract version, not the full grain. Pretty happy with both of them . Here's a coupla recipes from the book:

recipe_old_peculier.thumb.jpg.19fb022480fbf9198a713c1a007503fd.jpg

recipe_landlord.jpg

recipe_boltmaker.jpg

recipe_best_bitter.jpg

recipe_camra.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Hairy said:

If making the Timothy Taylor Landlord then I recommend using Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire yeast.

Will try that next time. I used Notto - the book doesn't give much info on yeast, and Notto seemed appropriate. 

You can't get it on amazon.com.au, or bookdespository.com, only second hand on amazon.co.uk ((b@5tard profiteers) !

image.thumb.png.95dc8d2de0c16cd39fdf1f1cde415902.png

Don't even have it on the CAMRA site...

59 minutes ago, stquinto said:

I've got a recipe for Old Peculier in my Camra Home Brew book.

Thanks so much for that @stquinto The Saint - Gold - I have got some dirty old X in me malted grain crate so maybe that would be a good use of it... there seems to have been a general bagging of Crystal Malts on the site threads recently... and I have not been using it for some time after an earlier burn-on my heating element... but there must be some good way of using it... and am thinking that TOP might be good - and your festive book suggests it.

You there @Green Blob Blobski or @Greeny1525229549 Greeny... or @Hairy Hairy and @Aussiekraut AK - any thoughts on the festive Saint's @stquinto Old Pec Rec?

image.thumb.png.7bcd53c238f45edf87aa1cfe089fca29.png

And thanks @iBooz2 Boozer for your recipe - was more of an extract recipe - but some interesting useful inf there with Black Patent Malt and hop regime - thanks mate!

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

I will have to try this, I love Theakston, Old Peculier. @Graubart I have never tasted it "on the wood" but in the bottle it is a great beer - superb.

Maaaaaaaaaaaate yer need to get your fur over to Blakey Ridge and give it a run... pref in the Winter haha... and hopefully it is all still there and not been turned into a McSpew Roadside Burger Joint by the time you get there : )

Keen to see how you go @kmar92 cos I reckon I might give it a try - tho am sorta thinking I might sneak in a bit of Maris Otter and as always Wheat for me... just for the LOLs haha ; )

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Graubart said:

Thanks so much for that @stquinto The Saint - Gold - I have got some dirty old X in me malted grain crate so maybe that would be a good use of it... there seems to have been a general bagging of Crystal Malts on the site threads recently... and I have not been using it for some time after an earlier burn-on my heating element... but there must be some good way of using it... and am thinking that TOP might be good - and your festive book suggests it.

You there @Green Blob Blobski or @Greeny1525229549 Greeny... or @Hairy Hairy and @Aussiekraut AK - any thoughts on the festive Saint's @stquinto Old Pec Rec?

image.thumb.png.7bcd53c238f45edf87aa1cfe089fca29.png

And thanks @iBooz2 Boozer for your recipe - was more of an extract recipe - but some interesting useful inf there with Black Patent Malt and hop regime - thanks mate!

The only pommie ale recipe I have is my London Pride "approximation". This one here looks interesting but will stretch the capacity of the Guten to the limits with 6.5kg grain. It'll make for a long brew day with 90 minute mash and boil. Hmmm my head is already spinning, trying to figure out mash and sparge volumes 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have nothing against crystal malts, they just need to be used used in the right beers in the right proportions.

I use them in my ESBs and American Pale Ales.

In lighter beers, like my Australian Pale Ales, I prefer to use some Munich.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Graubart said:

general bagging of Crystal Malts

I have never been a fan of them when used just because. They do bring a certain something to some beers, the aforementioned beer looks great, nice and malty.

9 hours ago, Breaktrainjack said:

its the younger gens bagging out the crystal malt

How young is that?

39 minutes ago, Hairy said:

American Pale Ales.

Not a fan in those, I use Munich like you in the Aussie beers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1