Coopers Community

What is the weirdest thing you tried to ferment and did it work?

drewbert

I've been thinking of what would be considered as weird thing to ferment. Was thinking of cola but it's packed full of preservatives. Then found people have used Milo in stouts. 

Get your freak out and confess! Liberate yourself 😂

• Haha 1

I’d have to say chocolate chips in a stout. 

Did it work, yes it did. For that beer it damaged the head quality but was all good. 

Next time I would actually add Vanilla too to lift the chocolate  flavour or presence of flavour. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, drewbert said:

Was thinking of cola but it's packed full of preservatives. Then found people have used Milo in stouts. 

Yeah mate I would stay away from Cola due to the lack of natural ingredients other than sugar and water 😋

Thing is you know Milo has got a fat load of malted barley in it plus sugar !?!  ; )

So is relatively well related to brewing.... 

I had to chuckle at Captain's point above...  'Did it work, yes it did.  For that beer it damaged head quality'.... 

I think that Vanilla and natural spice type additives are cool but in general when it comes to beer I suspect malted grain water hops and yeast work pretty well and there is so much room to move therein that you end up with a massive spectrum of possibilities!

Just over six years ago, with little information to go on matched with very little brewing knowledge, I attempted to brew a beer like the now defunct "Carlton Dry Lemon" for a mate that drank it exclusively. At the time I think it was about to be discontinued by CUB & he was really P.O'd about it.

So being very naive & lacking knowledge, I sought out the most "lemony" hops based on descriptions that I could find & then constructed a hop schedule to hit a similar IBU as the commercial version.

Did it end up like the commercial version. Errr... No. LOL! 🤣

On a positive note, the hop combination produced an extremely interesting final flavour & aroma. One I've meant to adapt to a different type of beer, but just keep forgetting to try year after year since.

Thanks for the reminder. 👍

Lusty.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Did ya get a bit off choc through to the glass? 

...I would suggest not. The magical Easter Bunny choc stout thief likely consumed it before BB got to taste it at the glass.

Also the eldest child in BB's family has begun building their hostility towards their father over missing out on chocolate goodies for the first time at Easter.

Good luck mending that bridge BB. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 1

Nothing too unusual for me.

I have made a pumpkin beer before and also a Coconut and fig oatmeal stout (this was awesome).

Oh, and I used PB2 (peanut butter powder) in a stout. It tasted awful.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

I have made a pumpkin beer before and also a Coconut and fig oatmeal stout (this was awesome).

How did the pumpkin 🎃 beer turn out I have thought about doing one but haven’t done it yet? 

Edited by RDT2

The pumpkin beer was ok. I don’t think the pumpkin really adds much to the beer, it is more the spices you use.

I’m not a massive fan of beer with spices. I tried a Panhead Hex Breaker Swamp Ale recently. Not sure what spices they used in it but it was a struggle to get through it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

No, nothing unusual about them ingredients.

The Pumpkin Beer sounded interesting.  I listened to an old Beersmith podcast during the week and the guest was talking about brewing a bratwurst beer.  He said more or less the same thing.  The trick with the bratwurst beer was not to use bratwurst, but to use the same spices as bratwurst to invoke the mental memories of the flavour so you thought you were drinking bratwurst beer.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hairy said:

The pumpkin beer was ok. I don’t think the pumpkin really adds much to the beer, it is more the spices you use.

I’m not a massive fan of beer with spices. I tried a Panhead Hex Breaker Swamp Ale recently. Not sure what spices they used in it but it was a struggle to get through it.

I've got American in laws. Might plan a small batch for Thanksgiving. They love root beer as well but that sounds harder...

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Brigalow cider 😄

I reckon you would have to be right Muzzy...

It would have to be pretty rough - with all due respect to Australian native plants of course.

But a cider made out of it - especially where it was grown in a semi-evergreen vine thicket 0 would have to be dreadful!?!

(Just a poor attempt at a quiet pisss-take joke... but I do think that the brigalow species subset of Acacia was around before the brew company pinched its name 😜)

image.png.d2f550857603f456736bacdffc52d1fe.png

Brigalow (Acacia harpophylla) is a species of silvery wattle that gives the mosaic of open forest and woodland communities known as the Brigalow Belt its name. The canopy is usually 10-15m in height, and the dominant tree species that may occur with Brigalow include Belah, Gidgee, Lancewood or Bendee.

Along the eastern boundary of the Brigalow Belt are scattered patches of semi-evergreen vine thickets with bright green leaves that are highly visible among the more silvery brigalow communities. These patches are related to rainforests and are remnants of the extensive subtropical rainforest vegetation that occupied much of the brigalow lands millions of years ago.

The Brigalow Belt ecosystems provide habitat for a distinctive fauna. Unfortunately, many of the species that presently or formerly occurred in Brigalow communities are now nationally threatened, including the Bridled Nailtail Wallaby (E), Northern Hairy-nosed Wombat (E), Black-breasted Button-quail (V), Squatter Pigeon (V), Brigalow Scaly-foot (V), Ornamental Snake (V) and the Black-throated Finch (V). A number of brigalow reptiles will probably soon join that list.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I reckon you would have to be right Muzzy...

It would have to be pretty rough - with all due respect to Australian native plants of course.

But a cider made out of it - especially where it was grown in a semi-evergreen vine thicket 0 would have to be dreadful!?!

(Just a poor attempt at a quiet pisss-take joke... but I do think that the brigalow species subset of Acacia was around before the brew company pinched its name 😜)

image.png.d2f550857603f456736bacdffc52d1fe.png

Brigalow (Acacia harpophylla) is a species of silvery wattle that gives the mosaic of open forest and woodland communities known as the Brigalow Belt its name. The canopy is usually 10-15m in height, and the dominant tree species that may occur with Brigalow include Belah, Gidgee, Lancewood or Bendee.

Along the eastern boundary of the Brigalow Belt are scattered patches of semi-evergreen vine thickets with bright green leaves that are highly visible among the more silvery brigalow communities. These patches are related to rainforests and are remnants of the extensive subtropical rainforest vegetation that occupied much of the brigalow lands millions of years ago.

The Brigalow Belt ecosystems provide habitat for a distinctive fauna. Unfortunately, many of the species that presently or formerly occurred in Brigalow communities are now nationally threatened, including the Bridled Nailtail Wallaby (E), Northern Hairy-nosed Wombat (E), Black-breasted Button-quail (V), Squatter Pigeon (V), Brigalow Scaly-foot (V), Ornamental Snake (V) and the Black-throated Finch (V). A number of brigalow reptiles will probably soon join that list.

Joke or not, BB, I now know what a Brigalow is. You learn something new every day.  🙂

• Like 1

… it is a truly bizarre world in which we live mate 😝

And this site keeps teaching me all sorts of festive new things... I joined to brew beer and now it seems I may be destined to become a smallgoods producer?! 😜

I just hope my body holds out from all this beer and wurst that I am going to be consuming!?!

At least I will know what the ingredients are hey.

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:
7 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

… it is a truly bizarre world in which we live mate 😝

And this site keeps teaching me all sorts of festive new things... I joined to brew beer and now it seems I may be destined to become a smallgoods producer?! 😜

I just hope my body holds out from all this beer and wurst that I am going to be consuming!?!

At least I will know what the ingredients are hey.

Sounds like you have been watching too much River Cottage. 

Just imagine growing a few strains of hops, rye, wheat etc, a handful of dairy cattle, chickens and some pigs for meat. Maybe a small apple orchard.

Just get practising on yeast washing etc. 

Edited by drewbert
formatting
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Did ya get a bit off choc through to the glass? 

Certainly got a bit of Choc through to the glass on this weird-arssssed brew seen below 😝

And no - I was not the consumer of this concoction - I viewed the ceremony from a safe distance only...

And no - I did not manufacture this picture using the latest version of Adobe Photoshop 👺

Was a bizarre offering available at my LHBS/microbrewer that I came across after Easter earlier this year.

image.thumb.png.57c6f658f0bd7554dbd1d8171ba0abee.png

Look what you have started Drewbert!?!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Bearded Burbler said:

image.thumb.png.57c6f658f0bd7554dbd1d8171ba0abee.png

Look what you have started Drewbert!?!

I am 100% unashamed, and i soo want one. 

ps hope the bunny was cold. last thing you need is that cheap chocolate that melts at the first touch.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, drewbert said:

I am 100% unashamed, and i soo want one. 

ps hope the bunny was cold. last thing you need is that cheap chocolate that melts at the first touch.

Sorry I am unable to report as I was keeping a safe distance from such a thing 😵

But in reality DB - mate yeah the festive brewers had the chocco-bunnies kept very cool and it appeared that it was still fairly whole after the unfortunate consumer had slurped the contents and then was making his way through consuming the container.

Suspect also that the serviette provide some insulation between said consumer's pinkies and the chocco-container 😋

Certainly removes any issue of waste being generated and no need for 10c bond on that beverage container?!

• Haha 1