Coopers Community

New PET Bottles

Beer82

Hi was wondering how to prepare New PET bottles for bottling. Do I need to Sanitise then clean with bottle washing powder or just do one of these or even none of these and just rinse with water.

I am not experienced person on this, but i did hot wash and star-san'ed my bottles. They might be new to you, but they could have been in the box for ages. 

I did also splurge 15 is bucks for one of those bottle sprayer things, that shoot liquid into the bottle. Bit of star-san and a few squirts, then fill and cap. Viola

excellent thank you my sanitizer is Sodium Metabisulphite and my Bottle washing powder is Alkaline salts, do think I should just use the bottle washing powder (alkaline salts)??

20 minutes ago, Beer82 said:

excellent thank you my sanitizer is Sodium Metabisulphite and my Bottle washing powder is Alkaline salts, do think I should just use the bottle washing powder (alkaline salts)??

Umm not too sure about that. I specifically used starsan / stellarsan as its ingredients are consumable by yeast, so when your bottle conditioning is complete, there is effectively no trace of the sanitiser in the bottle. 

Id be checking the bottle/packet for instructions, and focusing on if it mentions to rinse or if its "no rinse". 

You dont want to leave trace cleaner in there if it shouldnt stay in there. 

I hate when they call it alkaline salts and don't actually say what they are. It's probably sodium percarbonate though or some mixture of it and other things. It's a good cleaner.

Sodium metabisulphite is a terrific sanitiser. It releases sulphur dioxide when dissolved in water (or any liquid) which is what does the sanitising. This evaporates away so it wouldn't hang around. Probably worth rinsing off if using the bottles straight away but could probably get away without if if they're drained dry.

On an unrelated note I use potassium metabisulphite in my distilled brewing water as a preventative disinfectant. Probably not necessary but a bit of peace of mind. The SO2 gets boiled off when the wort is boiled.