Coopers Community

India Pale Lager

Beer Baron

I was thinking about making an IPL for September and that got me thinking........ 

What is the sweet spot for an IPL?? 

If you lager it too long then you will lose the hoppyness.  

Does anyone have any experience with this beer??

I was thinking after fermentation I would just lager it for one month. 

No idea, never made one but I'd agree the hops would likely fade with too much lagering. 

Given the amount of hops it probably doesn't need a long lagering anyway because the hops would drown out any minor things that would easily be noticed in a traditional lager. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

I was thinking after fermentation I would just lager it for one month. 

Yep that's plenty. I just let them drop nice and bright in the fermenter before bottling and then sit in the bottle in the nice cold Canberra winter for a month.

Cheers, 

John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

I have tried Kingfisher which is an Indian Pale Lager. Not very hoppy though.

correct it is a lager .... don't know of any heavily hopped lagers the method just does not compliment the heavy use of hops ... 

2 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

correct it is a lager .... don't know of any heavily hopped lagers the method just does not compliment the heavy use of hops ... 

I was just being facetious with my post.

There are many commercial IPLs out there now. These are heavily hopped lagers; like IPAs only with a lager yeast and fermented at cooler lager temps.

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

I was just being facetious with my post.

There are many commercial IPLs out there now. These are heavily hopped lagers; like IPAs only with a lager yeast and fermented at cooler lager temps.

yea but not made in Asia ... just calling it a IPL doesnt make it an IPL ...  it is like ordering a well done "Fillet Minion" .... Fillet Minions are served rare so it is not a FM 

3 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

IPA isn't an Indian based style either. It was first brewed in England. They named it that because of where it was headed, not where it originated. 

100% the extra hoppiness was to act as a preservative... so authentic IPA would have English/European hops

Edited by MartyG1525230263

• 7 months later...

Resurrecting an old thread. I have only recently become aware of this style and it has caught my imagination. Now that I have started fermenting lagers under pressure in my keg, I want to make an IPL. Fermenting under pressure would seem to be an ideal way to make an IPL, as you can drink them young, while the hops are at their peak.

I have not tried a commercial example as yet; I will have to see if any are available locally. But that being said, the style is evolving and there is not much consensus. In my mind the late hops should include at least one German or Czech hop, and one bold American hop. I read an opinion somewhere that piney hops should not be included, and that makes sense to me, so I think I will focus more on the citrus and fruity ones. Trying to figure out some hop combos now. The first one that comes to mind is Mosaic and Hallertau.

If you have made an IPL please share some info. What choices did you make on malt bill, and hops? How many IBUs? What was the BU:GU?

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1

I have been playing around with hop combos using Scott Janish's hop oils calculator. http://scottjanish.com/hop-oils-calulator/

It is interesting. In testing dozens of combinations I have observed several patterns. Different pairs of hops will sometimes give you the same descriptors. For example, Mosaic&Hallertau 60:40, and Centennial&Tettnang 50:50 will both give you, "mild and pleasant with spicy, herbal tones." I guess it has to do with how their hop fractions add up.

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 1