Coopers Community

La Chouffe Blonde

Aussiekraut

I was introduced to La Chouffe Blonde the other day. A well crafted Belgian ale, sweet, fruity malty and strong. Not a bad drop at all but at 17 bucks for a tallie it isn't the cheapest brews out there. I did drink it straight out of the fridge but in hindsight, letting it warm up a little might have helped releasing all the flavours. It's a little sweeter than it should for my palate but I'll have it again, preferably in Belgium and then taste the other offerings of Brasserie d'Archouffe 🙂 

• Like 1

Why not have a crack at making one Aussiekraut?

... The grain bill is simple as it's just pilsner malt and white sugar. I think it uses styrian and saaz for bittering and coriander for flavour. Wyeast 3522 and white labs WLP 550 are both the la chouffe strain. You can grow from bottles of la chouffe too but get fresh bottles if you can.

I found that info after a simple search & review of a few posts on a few sites. A little more investigating on your part & I'm sure you could come up with a recipe that would produce something reasonably close. The secret to many Belgian beers are the yeast strains used to ferment them, as the bulk of the flavour for many of these beers is derived from the yeast. Use the correct strains & ferment them at the correct temps & you can create some really terrific beers in the Belgian beer space.

I have faith in the Aussiekraut Brewery. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I found that info after a simple search & review of a few posts on a few sites. A little more investigating on your part & I'm sure you could come up with a recipe that would produce something reasonably close. The secret to many Belgian beers are the yeast strains used to ferment them, as the bulk of the flavour for many of these beers is derived from the yeast. Use the correct strains & ferment them at the correct temps & you can create some really terrific beers in the Belgian beer space.

Cheers,

Lusty.

+1. They are actually fairly easy beers to make in my opinion. The grain bills as lusty says are simple as. I will add to lustys comment that it's not just the strain and the temp but the pitch amount too. A 0.75 pitch rate will give a big difference in flavour to a 1.00 pitch rate.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2019 at 4:30 PM, Beerlust said:

Cheers,

Lusty.

I didn't even see this before I set off to our European adventure :) I did have another of the La Chouffe, in Belgium and at the right temp. They have some really nice brews over there. I might give it a go, once I caught up with demand again :)

• Like 1