Coopers Community

Lack of Hoppiness

Gazzala

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

I've read that temp rise can be instigated after the first 3 days of active fermentation as this is the period when yeast impart the bulk of their flavour attributes onto the brew. I'm not sure if this time-frame differs between ales & lagers, but even if it did, I would think a lager wouldn't be much longer than a day or so based likely on the observation of the reducing gravity as it ferments. It's probably based on a percentage of SG fermented vs unfermented as to when to flick the switch.

Some yeast strains need no temp rise as they just eat everything in sight regardless of temp, whereas other lazy buggars do need to be "mollycoddled" a bit more by increasing ferment temp or allowing the brew to free-rise at certain educated junctions of the brew to ferment out to expected levels.

Time, problem ferments, the odd failed brew, & experimentation using different strains gives you this firsthand knowledge moving forward. And valuable knowledge it is.

Just my 5 cents,

Lusty.

This is a much more detailed response to exactly where I was going with it. 

Thumbs up Lusty

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 4:58 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

You did mention not really checking FG...

Yep I sure dropped myself in it there 🤣 You’re right about being consistent though and I should keep that in mind. Hell, it’s pretty much the golden rule of brewing!