Coopers Community

australian blond v canadian blond

worry wort

is there any major difference between the Aussie and Canadian blond kits? I've got 2 cans of Aust blond but have a few recipes which call for canadian, is the difference that great that one can't be used in lieu of the other?

Hi Worry Wort.

Are you talking about Morgan's Australian Blonde & Coopers Canadian Blonde?

If so...I cannot find any IBU listings for the Morgans Australian Blonde but I'd expect the main difference between these two kits would be the bitterness levels.

Typically an Australian Blonde is bittered quite low as a dry enzyme is often used with it to make a low carb beer, whereas the Coopers Canadian Blonde is bittered much firmer & based on a true beer style.

Essentially the Aussie blonde is an under bittered "Draught". 😉

If these details aren't disclosed on the kit tin itself, perhaps contact Morgan's & ask them for the specifics.

I hope that helps,

Lusty.

Edited by PB2
Inappropriate content
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, worry wort said:

is there any major difference between the Aussie and Canadian blond kits? I've got 2 cans of Aust blond but have a few recipes which call for canadian, is the difference that great that one can't be used in lieu of the other?

Australian Blond?  🤔    Didn't know there was an Aussie Blond can? 

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

Australian Blond?  🤔    Didn't know there was an Aussie Blond can? 

its by Morgans, it was on spec for $12 a can so bought a couple to try

Edited by worry wort

On 6/6/2019 at 9:23 AM, Beerlust said:

Essentially the Aussie blonde is an under bittered "Draught". 😉

If these details aren't disclosed on the kit tin itself, perhaps contact Morgan's & ask them for the specifics.

thanks for that, yes it is the morgans, i forgot to mention that, it was on spec and i've had a couple of morgans brews which were ok, but never had a blond so thought it would be worth a go.

cheers

ww

Edited by PB2
Inappropriate content

Yeah I am not too impressed with Morgan's Australian Blonde. I've sampled one I bottled a bit over 2 weeks ago and it is lacking bitterness. However using 1.5kg LME and no extra hops probably isn't helping. 

I like Morgan's Golden Sheaf Wheat and Iron Bark Dark Ale but the blonde hasn't impressed me so far.

I'm going to bottle a Coopers Canadian Blonde on the weekend. Let's see how that one will turn out.

Edited by PB2
Inappropriate content

On 6/5/2019 at 8:53 PM, Beerlust said:

.....the Coopers Canadian Blonde is bittered much firmer & based on a true beer style.

Canadian Blonde is a true beer style? The two big mega swill producers in Canada (Molson's and Labatt's) are always bragging about how their products taste like beer but American mega swill tastes like water, so it must be true. 😆  Not sure how accurate these numbers are but Mr. Internet says Budweiser has 5 IBUs, and Labatt's Blue and Molson Canadian both have 12 IBUs, which is the same as Corona Extra! Wow, that is some firm, eh?

Speaking of dry enzyme, I recently was given a Brut IPA for my birthday. I had never heard of Brut IPAs. It's an IPA made with dry enzyme. It wasn't that bad actually, but I prefer a beer with some mouthfeel. 

Cheers,

Christina.

4 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Canadian Blonde is a true beer style? The two big mega swill producers in Canada (Molson's and Labatt's) are always bragging about how their products taste like beer but American mega swill tastes like water, so it must be true. 😆  Not sure how accurate these numbers are but Mr. Internet says Budweiser has 5 IBUs, and Labatt's Blue and Molson Canadian both have 12 IBUs, which is the same as Corona Extra! Wow, that is some firm, eh?

Speaking of dry enzyme, I recently was given a Brut IPA for my birthday. I had never heard of Brut IPAs. It's an IPA made with dry enzyme. It wasn't that bad actually, but I prefer a beer with some mouthfeel. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Cracking up about that firm bitterness of US style pale lager. 

I brewed a Brut about 12 months ago and it was ok but yeah I prefer more mouthfeel too.