Coopers Community

Looking for some cider advice please

drewbert

Hi everyone.

My first cider is in the FV and bubbling away. But i think the yeast got stressed.

The recipe is:
21 litres of Golden Circle Applie Juice 2 litres of Golden Circle Pear/Apple/Raspberry Juice (60% pear, 38% apple, 2% raspberry)
1 kilogram CSR Brown Sugar
5g (1 packet) Brigalow Brewing Yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae)

pitched at 20 degrees.
OG was 1059

The first night the FV got very cold (16 degrees) but the yeast apparently has a tolerance range down to 15 degrees.
After a day of warming it slowly, it returned to 23-24 degrees and is sitting happily around 21.

But after a few days the FV has a distinct ammonia smell (which is why i suspect there is yeast stress)
As its still in the FV, probably for atleast 2 more weeks (or longer), what actions should i take on this?

The yeast is still going, sitting at 1048 gravity at the moment and bubbling away quite well.

Should i look at either:
  • Opening the FV to let the gas free and oxygenate the wort
  • add any thing like black tea or more sugar to help heal the yeast
  • do absolutely nothing and stop worrying gorram-it

thanks everyone for you help!

8 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Option 3 for now. Just let it do its thing. Fermentation can give off some funky odours.

Thank you Otto. I really need to learn some patience for this. Just got a tad worried that it might not have started off correctly. 

Thank you again.

3 hours ago, drewbert said:
Hi everyone.

My first cider is in the FV and bubbling away. But i think the yeast got stressed.

The recipe is:
21 litres of Golden Circle Applie Juice 2 litres of Golden Circle Pear/Apple/Raspberry Juice (60% pear, 38% apple, 2% raspberry)
1 kilogram CSR Brown Sugar
5g (1 packet) Brigalow Brewing Yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae)

pitched at 20 degrees.
OG was 1059

The first night the FV got very cold (16 degrees) but the yeast apparently has a tolerance range down to 15 degrees.
After a day of warming it slowly, it returned to 23-24 degrees and is sitting happily around 21.

But after a few days the FV has a distinct ammonia smell (which is why i suspect there is yeast stress)
As its still in the FV, probably for atleast 2 more weeks (or longer), what actions should i take on this?

The yeast is still going, sitting at 1048 gravity at the moment and bubbling away quite well.

Should i look at either:
  • Opening the FV to let the gas free and oxygenate the wort
  • add any thing like black tea or more sugar to help heal the yeast
  • do absolutely nothing and stop worrying gorram-it

thanks everyone for you help!

I have brewed a fair few Apple juice Ciders for the missus and I personally found the Safcider Cider yeast to be the best. 10-30* temp range (ideal 18-24*).

So after some investigations (due to being unable to get time to duck out to a local HBS) i found that raisins are pretty good at doing the whole nutrient business. Tried organic sultanas, didnt do too much.

On a trip to the shops got hold of some raisins. Feral little things. But the cider seems to love it.
Within a very short period of time they were busy bouncing around in the wort, and general activity was substantially more active.

Thanks to everyone who has assisted and given me advice. it is very much appreciated.