Coopers Community

BIAB recipes

Olemate

Nearly set to have my first BIAB brew-day.. Have been looking at the "beginnerbrewer" site who suggest the American Pale Ale as my first brew;

https://beginnerbrewer.com/your-first-all-grain-brew-biab-american-pale-ale-recipe/

Where in fact I'm rather taken with this recipe from Brewsmith Cloud. For whatever reason I can't copy and paste this one, so it's;

https:/beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1645/bells-two-hearted-ipa

I'd really appreciate advice from the brain bank of any changes I'd need to make. For example, I intend to make 19L batches. What else is there in there that I need to be mindful of??

Cheers

You can scale them yourself with a bit of simple maths, but I would suggest getting some software anyway. It's probably better to get used to using it with other recipes before you start making your own up. 

Unfortunately the linked recipe doesn't have a batch volume which doesn't help. If you want to match the figures at the bottom you kinda need to know it. Based on the grain weight and expected OG it's probably an 18/19 litre batch, but it depends on the efficiency of your brewing system. 

As I wrote, the article suggested the American Pale Ale, But I'm taken with the Bell's Two Hearted IPA, particularly having read the feedback below the printed recipe. I'd like to do this one, but not if it'd going to overly complicate my first brew.

It doesn't look overly complicated but if I was brewing it, assuming the hop additions are calculated on chilling, I'd probably just move the last two. Change the 15 minute to 5 minutes and move the flameout (0mins) to the cube. The 30 minute and longer ones won't be affected.