Im definitely a hoarder!!!

Lagers

Budvar, Danish lager, W34/70, Coopers Kit Lager

Ales

US05, S04, WY1272, K97, CCA.

Belgians

WY1214, WY3787, WY1388, Danstar Abbaye

Saisons

Dupont, Farmhouse, Belle, Dupont/Belle Blend.

And the saf cider

Favorite yeast at the moment is the dupont/belle blend. Has like 3/4 of the dupont influence without the BS that goes with fermenting straight dupont. Its a cracker. Next APA im going to do a 1L US05 and a 1L 1272. I think a middle ground flavour would be awesome with those two yeasts.

Edited by Greeny1525229549

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Dumb question time:

What is a yeast bank?  Or are you snobs just trying to big-note a shelf in your fridge?

My bank is in the door of the fridge. In not that sophisticated to have a shelf. My yeast sits right next to the mayonnaise and batteries

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yep. I love the variety of beers as well. Thats why i have a yeast bank which currently has 18 yeasts. 4 lagers. 13 ales and a cider. Some only get used once a year.

I did a cull couple of years ago but have added to it. Time for another cull.

Greeeny… mate I have a few ex-brew slurry yeasts in the fridge - from successful brews - so how long do you think I can store them for future use? BB

7 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Dumb question time:

What is a yeast bank?  Or are you snobs just trying to big-note a shelf in your fridge?

Shamus is the man! Hahaha, my yeast bank is next to my kegs, in 750ml bottles. Top notch security guarding it.

20190621_203244.jpg

• Like 4

Mmmm… now we must engage with our resident Philologists… 

But…. The real estate Agent says the room behind my Kitch is called THE LARDER... 

So we may need to adopt her Naming Convention on the Lease that at the moment I cannot find.... which is troublesome to say the least. 

image.png.ef26e7f6bd5c8cdf58b7a254c8316e2a.png

My assessment is that the LARDER is a defined space receptacle... i.e. a room... while to LAGER is a an act or process... in the big scheme things of things WGAF...

My 1890 LARDER is in winter pretty cool... despite stupid Global Warming fluctuations and nasty recent hot dry summers... cooler Larder temps can be useful. 

7 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Dumb question time:

If you're White Labs, it's just a @#$%ing unattainable tease!

I have NFI why they even bother with advertising the fact especially to the home brew community given the availability times.

Just my 5 cents,

Lusty.

5 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

If you're White Labs, it's just a @#$%ing unattainable tease!

I have NFI why they even bother with advertising the fact especially to the home brew community given the availability times.

Just my 5 cents,

Lusty.

Agreed.

However Lusty, have you heard that they are releasing all of the ordered yeast bank no matter how much has been ordered of that batch/type by a time in the near future, like August maybe?

I should say the “vault”

Edited by The Captain!!

2 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Agreed.

However Lusty, have you heard that they are releasing all of the ordered yeast bank no matter how much has been ordered of that batch/type by a time in the near future, like August maybe?

I should say the “vault”

No I didn't Capt.

Thanks for the heads up. Definitely a good move for them. I think they'll be overwhelmed with the interest globally.

Cheers,

Lusty.

3 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

No I didn't Capt.

Thanks for the heads up. Definitely a good move for them. I think they'll be overwhelmed with the interest globally.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Heard it on experimental Homebrew but kinda listened but didn’t listen. They also said that’s there’s something new coming for the vault I think after that burn out of all the strains. 

Just had a look. There’s some pretty cool stuff in there. 

https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-vault

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Just had a look. There’s some pretty cool stuff in there.

https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-vault

Yup. I intermittently have a look at their vault & progress towards releases etc. Their current processes & approaches seem to lead nowhere fast. TBQH I'm not sure what their current processes are aimed at apart from the logistics of preparing large scale volumes of yeast for selective sale.

I understand that certain strains are more popular than others & are easier to maintain in regular ferment cycles, but if in a professional sense your business revolves around the sale of certain strains & you wish to offer particular strains, then shouldn't it be advantageous to make your whole spectrum available at all times?

The selective approach by White Labs, I don't fully understand or agree with TBQH. It just seems to be counter-intuitive.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Greeeny… mate I have a few ex-brew slurry yeasts in the fridge - from successful brews - so how long do you think I can store them for future use? BB

If your prepared to do starters and step them up i dare say you coukd get 2+ years.

I fired up the K97 after like 16 months. Needed a step up starter though. My w34/70 is 13 months old. I dont think I'll bother with the dry yeast strains when they get old though. They are cheap anyway. Ill definitely be careful in keeping budvar and danish though as they are now seasonal strains only.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Yup. I intermittently have a look at their vault & progress towards releases etc. Their current processes & approaches seem to lead nowhere fast. TBQH I'm not sure what their current processes are aimed at apart from the logistics of preparing large scale volumes of yeast for selective sale.

I understand that certain strains are more popular than others & are easier to maintain in regular ferment cycles, but if in a professional sense your business revolves around the sale of certain strains & you wish to offer particular strains, then shouldn't it be advantageous to make your whole spectrum available at all times?

The selective approach by White Labs, I don't fully understand or agree with TBQH. It just seems to be counter-intuitive.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I completely agree with ya. I’m hoping they’ll come out and say that the vault only takes one preorder and we will make it ha ha ha

33 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

So If your prepared to do starters and step them up i dare say you coukd get 2+ years.

I fired up the K97 after like 16 months. Needed a step up starter though. My w34/70 is 13 months old. I dont think I'll bother with the dry yeast strains when they get old though. They are cheap anyway. Ill definitely be careful in keeping budvar and danish though as they are now seasonal strains only.

Thanks Greeny. That's really cool.  I have got a few jars of different festive strains at 2 deg C... wheat-ale-lager.

And now this week as I had to go to "the big smoke" I went on the way past to my LHBS (2-3 hours)  and got 5 packs of US05 and 5 of W34/70...

John-911 suggested on an earlier post it was not a bad idea to have some dry-live-packs up yer sleeve - and think that is a good idea.

So I got a bit of both.... 

BB

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments and advice.

So I have about 150ml of Nottingham slurry from early May in the fridge.  Would it be good to use in a Coopers English Bitter can with 1kg LDM and a short EKG boil and dry hop?  Should I chuck in the kit yeast too?

@Norris! that's a mighty looking doggo.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

I completely agree with ya. I’m hoping they’ll come out and say that the vault only takes one preorder and we will make it ha ha ha

One thing I've always liked about you Capt is your optimism.

The funny thing about the word optimism is it rhymes with astigmatism. Astigatism is a common vision condition that causes blurred vision, & most people have it to some degree.

I sort of look at optimism as the way the world wants you to look at things (with glasses on), not the way your eyes naturally see things (glasses off & blurred).

Capt must wear bi-focals.  😜🤣

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 2

She has licked many of people into submission.

The slurry should be good, but stepping it up with a shaken not stirred starter, or stir plate, would ensure it is viable and get the fermentation going. I would save the kit yeast as back up.

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

@Otto Von Blotto interested to know what yeasts you have in the bank... my guess an Urquell, W34/70 and US05 or Nottingham ...  am I close

All Wyeast. 2278, 1469 and 1056 currently. Does me for lagers, English ales and others, and APA/IPA. I'll buy specific yeasts for certain recipes at times that don't get reused, such as S-04 when I make my porter. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

All Wyeast. 2278, 1469 and 1056 currently. Does me for lagers, English ales and others, and APA/IPA. I'll buy specific yeasts for certain recipes at times that don't get reused, such as S-04 when I make my porter. 

Glad there is more S04 fans. One of my favorites. Never understood the hate. There are so many more to hate on. BRY 97 and S 23 come to mind.

13 hours ago, Beerlust said:

The funny thing about the word optimism is it rhymes with astigmatism. Astigatism is a common vision condition that causes blurred vision, & most people have it to some degree.

I sort of look at optimism as the way the world wants you to look at things (with glasses on), not the way your eyes naturally see things (glasses off & blurred).

Capt must wear bi-focals.  😜🤣

Hey there Lusty - I did like the construction of the above excellent logic trail which was Gold!

But as for optimism rhyming with astigmatism...  I am not feeling the vibe 😜

I am picking up on the ISMS but would suggest that line of thought would then deliver anarchism, bonism, communism, dualism... all the way to zoism and zootheism as being partners in rhyme.

Maybe you have reached a higher plane via transcendentalism that I have not yet quite attained?! 😋

Maybe it will all become clear for me one day... like my first AG Lager which is now reaching nirvana level clarity and will go into the bottle tomorrow hopefully!

• Haha 1