Coopers Community

fermenting times

EWildcat7

36 minutes ago, MitchellScott said:

So do you guys n gulls think I'm better off sticking to ales and ipa's ..?

100% Lager yeasts need lower temps. Best around 10-12 degrees ... That is opposed to the kit lagers as they use an ale yeast, with a few exceptions, so they are actually ales they ferment at 20ish but as I said are not lagers.  So if a kit lager has instructions to ferment in the 18-24 range it is an ale yeast.  

4 hours ago, Navigator said:

I dont have a temperature controlled fridge of any sorts,

I have two milk crates in a room that my 2 Fv's sit on and my wort seems to sit around 21 c, 

I would and did, until I got a fridge and control. It's possible to get to lager brewing temps without it, but it's a lot of fartarsing about with ice buckets, jackets, fans and constant monitoring to do it.

Getting an old fridge and a temp control if you want to make them, is a low-cost no-stress option. It also help make your ales more consistent when you brew favourites.

17 hours ago, Instigator said:

I'd probably go with RStudio for a statistical analysis. MATLAB would be good for a nice real-time 3D plot of density, bubble formation, and temperature which could then be integrated to find the B3R factor (Bearded Burbler Brew Readiness factor). 🤔😋

Luvyerwork

21 hours ago, EWildcat7 said:

I have not tried that spreadsheet; was it created by NASA - it looks as complicated as your science experiment above 🙂

followed the Bilby Chocolate Porter recipe, so the ingredients were:

From the ingredients stuffed into Ian's spready - reckon 1.010 is on the money... so your 1.011 is real close.

BUT... be a good boy and next time MEASURE the OG... just helps ; )

In the big scheme of things I reckon if you have no OG then FG is really just shooting in the dark.... 

It's the delta - the difference between the two - and knowing where you start at that really helps... 

not trying to Schoolmaster you - just an opportunity for improvement 😋

image.png.c59fe35faadf314eed49b22fa8396d3f.png

11 hours ago, Navigator said:

I have two milk crates in a room that my 2 Fv's sit on and my wort seems to sit around 21 c, 

Not a bad option!

There are so many opportunities to brew in that temp regime with top-fermenting Ale Yeasts...  to make so many amazing great beers.

Rather than fight your ambient Temp to do Lagers-Pils at the lower degrees.... unless you are v keen to do Lagers/Pils like I am and I have a fridge and temp controller.... but my Larder is at 10 deg at the mo so prolly also go the cooler climes to my advantage finally where I am based ; )

Well that is my humble take on things... 

Edited by Bearded Burbler

6 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

I would and did, until I got a fridge and control. It's possible to get to lager brewing temps without it, but it's a lot of fartarsing about with ice buckets, jackets, fans and constant monitoring to do it.

… unless you live in a fridge 😜

My Larder Temp is just pure Lager Temp brewing opportunity at the mo.... 

And I wanna brew an Ale ?!   But not so hard to get from 12 to 18 with a heat belt ; )

Edited by Bearded Burbler

6 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Yeah I know mate☹️

Unfortunately besides Germany that upholds the Reinheitsgebot (Hops-Malted Grain-Water-Yeast and nothing else and legislated) the rest of the world's megaswill Lager might have greater volume sales than Ales... But I really believe that well brewed grain-n-hops beers whether Ale or Lager when well done are just miles ahead of most of the stuff you can buy in the general pub or bottle in Australia.... 

A few years ago I was in Pom (UK) and went to a festive small brew-pub where the cracking brewer was putting down seasonal brews... and his local Real Ale style and other offerings were all good... his German/Euro Lager styles may have not rated so well in Europe but they were just plain authentic good quality wholesome tasty brews....  a lack of hyperfiltration and clarity maybe that the megaswillers are used to.... but just great taste - mouth feel - hop fragrance.... a beautiful thing.

So I think it is not a question of ale or lager but really what temperatures you have got at your disposal, your water quality, your brewing preference, what ingredients you put into it and what comes out ; )

And optimising for what you have available!

• Like 1

Im of the opinion every style of beer has its place depending on the season. I do asian lagers with 25% rice every summer because there aint nothing better on a hot and humid day than a very light asian style beer. I dont want a full malt brew in that weather. Full malt brews go down hard in that weather. Lighter style beers go down easy.

• Like 1

@Greeny1525229549 agree! The reason why i carry so much stock is because I like variation. At any one time i have 3 different types of lagers, Rice, Pils and generic European/Australian style. two IPA/APA styles, an English Bitter and a stout plus a cider in the beer fridge ready for consumption....I drink the ales more often this time of year and the lagers in the warmer months. When I start to keg in the next month or so that will just add to the variety ... for me variety is the key .... 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Navigator said:

Lagers might be a bit tricky. 

I don't have a fermenting fridge. I use a Cool Brewing Bag and ice bricks to keep things cool. I like to use yeast strains that are happy just a bit below ambient temps so I ferment lagers for maybe 4 or 5 months of the year here in Canberra.

To give you an idea of the room temp, if I leave beer to stabilise in the Cool Brewing Bag after fermenting with no ice bricks it tends to settle at around 15C with the central heating running in the mornings and evenings. 

I would recommend something to insulate against day / night temp swings even if you're not actively heating or cooling. Just stops your yeast giving up early and dropping out if you get an unexpected cold snap. 

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

@Greeny1525229549 agree! The reason why i carry so much stock is because I like variation. At any one time i have 3 different types of lagers, Rice, Pils and generic European/Australian style. two IPA/APA styles, an English Bitter and a stout plus a cider in the beer fridge ready for consumption....I drink the ales more often this time of year and the lagers in the warmer months. When I start to keg in the next month or so that will just add to the variety ... for me variety is the key .... 

Yep. I love the variety of beers as well. Thats why i have a yeast bank which currently has 18 yeasts. 4 lagers. 13 ales and a cider. Some only get used once a year.

I did a cull couple of years ago but have added to it. Time for another cull.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Thats why i have a yeast bank which currently has 18 yeasts. 4 lagers. 13 ales and a cider.

Wow that is a great bank I have 4 in my bank .... W34/70 M32 Liberty Bell  US05 5th gen and  US05 2nd gen I don't bank the Cider yeast ... I need to add 2 an Urquell and a Nottingham ...think that will do me ... 

I only have three. That's all I need for the styles I like drinking. I have a smaller variety than some, but I'm happy with all malt beers in summer. I've been able to brew them to still be refreshing, usually by employing lower mash temps but sometimes modifying the grist a bit as well. 

I don't feel like I'm missing anything by not drinking a large variety of different styles. I don't really have that "keeping up with the Jones's" thing of doing that just because others are. No point brewing styles I don't like just to have variety. I'll muck around with different recipes within my preferred styles though. 

• Like 1