Coopers Community

fermenting times

EWildcat7

the difference in gravity readings over the last 2 days has taught me a valuable lesson about using the hydrometer to know when fermentation is complete!

since I am in a minor time crunch (I am going out of town) and need to get the beer bottled before a week from tonight, I will be taking gravity readings every day until I see it is stable.  Hopefully it is done by Thursday, I can cold crash until Sunday and then bottle

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Cool. What was the second SG reading? 

Also, what are the ingredients and batch volume? Could probably estimate the FG based off that info

1.017 on Saturday; 1.013 on Monday.  I am going to take another reading tonight (Tuesday)

I followed the Bilby Chocolate Porter recipe, so the ingredients were:

- 1.3 Kg Mr. Beer Winter Dark Ale

- Mr. Beer unhopped malt extract - smooth

- 100 g midnight wheat grains

- 1 tbsp cocoa powder

- lallemand nottingham yeast

56 minutes ago, EWildcat7 said:

1.017 on Saturday; 1.013 on Monday.  I am going to take another reading tonight (Tuesday)

I followed the Bilby Chocolate Porter recipe

That recipe has a ABV of 6.6%  .... 46 point of movement on the Hydrometer is close to 6% so if you had the OG you could calculate the FG within a point or 2 ...   

10 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I wouldn't expect it would go much under 1.013, and very surprised if it went under 1.010. 

1.017 on Sunday; 1.013 yesterday; 1.011 tonight, so I guess it is still not done fermenting

2 hours ago, EWildcat7 said:

1.017 on Sunday; 1.013 yesterday; 1.011 tonight, so I guess it is still not done fermenting

Mine started at 1.052.  However, I took it up to 9.5L instead of 8.5L.  Finished (Stopped) at 1.017.  ABV in the bottle of 5%

2 hours ago, EWildcat7 said:

Doesn't sound like it, unless it stops at 1.011.

How long are you out of town for? If it isn't ready in time you may be able to just cold crash it until you get back. The other option would be to bottle it without a cold crash. 

49 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Doesn't sound like it, unless it stops at 1.011.

How long are you out of town for? If it isn't ready in time you may be able to just cold crash it until you get back. The other option would be to bottle it without a cold crash. 

I am gone for 3 weeks, but I don't leave until Tuesday morning, so I still have a few days.  I figure that I will take a reading tomorrow (Wed) and, if it is the same as tonight, start the cold crash on Thu morning and bottle on Sunday.  This plan gives me an extra day just in case the reading is different tomorrow.

1.011 this evening - same as yesterday, so I will give it another 12 hours and start the cold crash tomorrow morning

However, I saw something very interesting...when I took the gravity reading tonight (1.011), I got distracted and didn't take the hydrometer out of the tube.  When I looked at it after a while, it had risen to 1.200!  I took it out and re-inserted it and it read 1.011 again.  Any ideas?

Edited by EWildcat7

30 minutes ago, EWildcat7 said:

1.011 this evening - same as yesterday, so I will give it another 12 hours and start the cold crash tomorrow morning

However, I saw something very interesting...when I took the gravity reading tonight (1.011), I got distracted and didn't take the hydrometer out of the tube.  When I looked at it after a while, it had risen to 1.200!  I took it out and re-inserted it and it read 1.011 again.  Any ideas?

Is it a glass cylinder and glass hydrometer... or a plastic tube and hydro?

Is everything completely on the level and you took the same reading in exactly the same place with exactly the same temp?

How long did you wait for the hydro to settle when you took the first reading... bubbles?

These things are pretty finicky I think... 

Edited by Bearded Burbler

12 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Is it a glass cylinder and glass hydrometer... or a plastic tube and hydro?

Is everything completely on the level and you took the same reading in exactly the same place with exactly the same temp?

How long did you wait for the hydro to settle when you took the first reading... bubbles?

These things are pretty finicky I think... 

Both are plastic and everything was level.  I waited for the bubbles to subside before inserting the hydrometer.  It seemed like the hydrometer rose over time

Velly intellesting! To say the least.

My plazzi hydro was a bit troublesome... and had quite a lean on the plazzi cylinder which made measurement more challenging.

As a scientist I would suggest that you need to take 5 replicates and observe the Specific Gravity Measurements in the cylinder for each rep in 30 second intervals over a half an hour period per sample, and then utilize MATLAB to provide some statistical analysis to determine the standard deviation and........… only joking..... 

Dunno… suspect that the 1.011 on initial, then on post-rise... might be where things are at... I would go with that.

And the festive rise up to 1.020 might be a collective adherence of bubbles to the hydro bulb?

Or an Alien was momentarily tele-transported in an inadvertent tear in the time-space continuum mesh into the Hydro Bulb which caused a negative-gravity vortex effective enough to allow the bulb to float 9 points free?👽

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Velly intellesting! To say the least.

My plazzi hydro was a bit troublesome... and had quite a lean on the plazzi cylinder which made measurement more challenging.

As a scientist I would suggest that you need to take 5 replicates and observe the Specific Gravity Measurements in the cylinder for each rep in 30 second intervals over a half an hour period per sample, and then utilize MATLAB to provide some statistical analysis to determine the standard deviation and........… only joking..... 

Dunno… suspect that the 1.011 on initial, then on post-rise... might be where things are at... I would go with that.

And the festive rise up to 1.020 might be a collective adherence of bubbles to the hydro bulb?

Or an Alien was momentarily tele-transported in an inadvertent tear in the time-space continuum mesh into the Hydro Bulb which caused a negative-gravity vortex effective enough to allow the bulb to float 9 points free?👽

I feel pretty confident in the 1.011.  It matches last night, so I am considering this done and will start the cold crash in the morning

55 minutes ago, EWildcat7 said:

I feel pretty confident in the 1.011.  It matches last night, so I am considering this done and will start the cold crash in the morning

So what main ingredients have you to begin with:

1.3kg Dark Ale

0.25kg Malt Extract

Grains... cocoa...

And what Volume - 12L?

Plugging into Iain's Spready... says 1.011 is a little high... but not far off... 

Have you used this?

Wildcat.xls

7 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

So what main ingredients have you to begin with:

1.3kg Dark Ale

0.25kg Malt Extract

Grains... cocoa...

And what Volume - 12L?

Plugging into Iain's Spready... says 1.011 is a little high... but not far off... 

Have you used this?

Wildcat.xls

I have not tried that spreadsheet; was it created by NASA - it looks as complicated as your science experiment above 🙂

followed the Bilby Chocolate Porter recipe, so the ingredients were:

- 1.3 Kg Mr. Beer Winter Dark Ale

- Mr. Beer unhopped malt extract - smooth

- 100 g midnight wheat grains

- 1 tbsp cocoa powder

- lallemand nottingham yeast

8.5 liter (although with 4 hydrometer readings, it is slightly less now)

Edited by EWildcat7

4 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

As a scientist I would suggest that you need to take 5 replicates and observe the Specific Gravity Measurements in the cylinder for each rep in 30 second intervals over a half an hour period per sample, and then utilize MATLAB to provide some statistical analysis to determine the standard deviation and..

I'd probably go with RStudio for a statistical analysis. MATLAB would be good for a nice real-time 3D plot of density, bubble formation, and temperature which could then be integrated to find the B3R factor (Bearded Burbler Brew Readiness factor). 🤔😋

• Haha 1

I dont have a temperature controlled fridge of any sorts,

I have two milk crates in a room that my 2 Fv's sit on and my wort seems to sit around 21 c, 

So do you guys n gulls think I'm better off sticking to ales and ipa's ..?

Edited by Navigator

15 minutes ago, Navigator said:

I dont have a temperature controlled fridge of any sorts,

I have two milk crates in a room that my 2 Fv's sit on and my wort seems to sit around 21 c, 

So do you guys n gulls think I'm better off sticking to ales and ipa's ..?

18-22C is prime temp for ale yeasts, so that is probably your best option.

Mitch.

• Thanks 1