Coopers Community

fermenting times

EWildcat7

31 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Wow Kelsey you sure are a bottomless pit of info .... thanks for that ... 

21 minutes ago, LabRat wrote 

Wow! Kelsey, you are a cerebral fountain of knowledge when it comes to the science of enzyme breakdown.  I doff my hat to thee !

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

21 minutes ago, LabRat wrote 

Wow! Kelsey, you are a cerebral fountain of knowledge when it comes to the science of enzyme breakdown.  I doff my hat to thee !

Instant classic! Hahaha! I will be using this quote.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Second that. Thank you Kelsey for your contributions.

Shout out to everyone else, also, who contribute!  It has been said several times, but this site offers a wealth of information. Except for what I say, please disregard my comments, in your own best interests.

Mate, don’t be so hard on yourself. I remember you made a good post once before. I’ll go back through your history and try to find it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

Courtesy goes both ways.

I was courteous.

1 hour ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Lab rat it is punctuated ... see these ... that is punctuation it signifies moving from 1 thought to another ... and yes I taught Maths for nearly a decade and worked at the DPI as an entomologist and have been on the academic staff of QUT and the University of the Sunshine Coast and have published scientific papers ... sorry but I very rarely write in prose ...  if I could write everything in dot point i would ... 

Yeah I get it. Maths isn't 'writing', it's a different language. But what you write isn't dot point, they're ellipses - used to signify when you omit certain words or phases from a passage you're quoting. They aren't used for general punctuation.

I guess I'm the only one who finds your posts hard going as judged by the general pisstake. Your excuse is being a scientist, mine is being a medical writer and editor.

1 hour ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I know that Kelsey said not much and I assume he is right on the money ... the thing with lagering is if you do it a ambient for months then the carbonation will develop over time if the temp is in the low range of the yeasts ferment temp but if you do it the way some suggest ambient for 2 weeks then in the fridge  you would have problems if in bottles and the ambient was too low for those 2 weeks ... the low temp lagering is great if you are using kegs and CO2 to carbonate as it is not temp reliant like bottle secondary carbonisation  ...  anyway not that i am an expert but that is what i have picked up from the community ... bottle secondary is temp reliant as it has to be above the minimum temp for the yeast's fermentation ... keg carbonation isn't unless you are looking for the optimum temp for keg CO2 carbonisation which is around 4 degrees ...  gee i hope that makes sense ....  and sorry if I over explain it is the school teacher in me ... 

This stuff is great.  Along with OVB's comments about how low lager yeast can ferment.

Seems like the bottles outside will still carbonate fine, but will take a bit longer.

I was also thinking about diacetyl or other flavour/aroma issues with secondary fermentation of a lager yeast in bottles around 20°C.  I suppose that the 2-3 months lagering will allow most of these issues to dissipate.

Marty's punctuation - Lucky he was a maths teacher. 😁

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Marty's punctuation - Lucky he was a maths teacher. 😁

I just remove the superfluous stuff ... as Lab Rat said the the ellipses are used to omit words when quoting but they are also used to save space and remove things that are irrelevant ...  when I am writing my thoughts are 20 words ahead of my typing speed which is pretty good not great but not poor ... I need the ellipses to catch up to my brain ... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's been plenty worse. Couldn't spell, couldn't even use a punctuation mark at all. Those ones were far more difficult to make sense of. I think I just ended up ignoring a few of them because I couldn't be arsed trying to decipher the gibberish they wrote. Marty's writing isn't what I'm used to but it's easy compared to those other ones. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I just remove the superfluous stuff ... as Lab Rat said the the ellipses are used to omit words when quoting but they are also used to save space and remove things that are irrelevant ...  when I am writing my thoughts are 20 words ahead of my typing speed which is pretty good not great but not poor ... I need the ellipses to catch up to my brain ... 

In place of ellipses I usually just grab my pewter mug & have a sip of beer. It doesn't help me catch up to my brain, it forces my brain to slow the @#$% down. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

59 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I usually just grab my pewter mug

Is it one of those older style ones from when you were younger with the lead in it?

Tell me Lusty, Whaddya know about lead?.... (said in The Castle voice of Mr Kerrigan)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

There as been some funny stuff on this thread. That is the best.  Look, two sentences! 

There hope for you Marty. The extra effort with the exclamation mark was easily your best non-brewing work so far.

Edited by Lab Rat
  • Haha 1

This thread has turned to sh!t.

I think everyone should just calm the fluff down....... who cares how people write sentences or paragraphs for that matter. 

Friendly banter is not this cr@p going on here.

Just remember that this site is sponsored by the good people at coopers and respect for all is what is expected.

The reason I joined this site was because it was free of the online trolling bullcr@p that goes on with other Homebrew forums. 

And as the old saying goes, Relax, Don’t Worry, Have Another HomeBrew. 

On 6/8/2019 at 8:35 AM, The Captain!! said:

Is it one of those older style ones from when you were younger with the lead in it?

I don't know, I've never asked it. 😜

This one I've had about 8-9 years so I doubt it's got much lead in it as regulations came into affect approx. 20-25yrs ago (I think?) that these mugs were to contain no more than 0.05% (500ppm) of lead. That aside, my Grandfather used to drink Southwark out of a pewter mug he had (likely one with a greater percentage of lead) on & off for most of his life along with eating bacon & eggs cooked in dripping, fried bread smeared in proper butter the thickness of cheese, & he lived to 88yrs of age.

If I start suffering regular stomach cramps & constipation I'll say, "@#$% I must have lead poisoning, it must be that pewter mugs' fault!"

Besides, I do as recommended, & drink in moderation. I mix it up between pewter & glass. 😁

10 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Exactly so who gives a fluff!!! I’m going to grab myself a beer. 

Try it in a pewter mug Captain, it won't kill ya. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 1

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:31 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Lager yeast can work as low as 3-4 degrees, so theoretically they would carbonate in the fridge given enough time. I don't know if they still do it but Urquell fermented their pilsner at 4 degrees during the initial stages. Obviously a different scenario to a bottle though. 

I have had Weizen yeast in the fridge at 2 deg C from a non-complete fermentation brew slurry and that sucker used to pop everytime I opened the lid... 

After the first time (and yes I did it with sterilized rubber gloves on, a mask, under UV lights and in a sterile controlled airflow cabinet... just joshing) I did it just for the sheer joy of hearing that CO2 pop when I opened it knowing the fridge was at 2 deg C... was a bit of an eye opener.

3 hours ago, Beerlust said:

This one I've had about 8-9 years so I doubt it's got much lead in it as regulations came into affect approx. 20-25yrs ago (I think?) that these mugs were to contain no more than 0.05% (500ppm) of lead. That aside, my Grandfather used to drink Southwark out of a pewter mug he had (likely one with a greater percentage of lead) on & off for most of his life along with eating bacon & eggs cooked in dripping, fried bread smeared in proper butter the thickness of cheese, & he lived to 88yrs of age.

Festive old Grandad (said with respect)...  it's a wonder he did not live to 188 - if he could survive Southwark - he could survive anything !?! 😜

The reason he used the pewter mug was to UP the lead level.... drinking unleaded Southwark would have been even worse 👺

Lads and ladies this is a bit of a purpose built pisssstake as my memory of ages ago was that the old Southwark was not such a bad drop after all....  though I would rather Coopers Sparkling ; )

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 2