Coopers Community

All Things Salumi

ben 10

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Yep sure is

Questions..

1. what are the skins
2. assume no curing salt... I use around 180g of salt per 10kgs (plus curing salt)
3. no bacteria either?
4. family recipe?

1 hour ago, Ben 10 said:

Questions..

1. what are the skins
2. assume no curing salt... I use around 180g of salt per 10kgs (plus curing salt)
3. no bacteria either?
4. family recipe?

We used collagen this year

no curing salt

No Bacteria

Family recipe? yes, others, PLEASE do not do this at home without experience. Ben this is why I didn’t want to post recipe but understand that you know why I say that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

PLEASE do not do this at home without experience. Ben this is why I didn’t want to post recipe but understand that you know why I say that. 

I do know...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only back on the Coopers site now after the website was not accessible for two weeks plus.... thanks @Ben 10, @Spudley, @The Captain!! for Wurst making advice in the past... so the last few weeks of leave have seen some good progress in brewing, baking and butchering-that-is-salumi.  Here the  mix below - one on the right has a chilli-capsi mix Ajvar in it besides the red wine peppercorns -  fennel - salt - curing salt #2 - and bactoferm that is in both...  fermented at c.27degC overnight before sausage fill into natural mettwurst skins and then into the drying cabinet... 

image.thumb.png.01e23b0c9fec85002882bee9b5ad9499.png

• Like 3

The recipe is still coming, but I think I have worked it out. I initially though it was like a salami, but old mate gave me one of his uncles and it is more like just a dried sausage which is then fried. Really yummy. Slow dried in smoke over a few days. Kinda cooked.

He's translating an old portugese recipe designed for 100 kgs.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Chunks stuffed into casing.

Benny mate some of the inf suggest we should be avoid air gaps - the fellas with their big chunks obviously don't have any trouble?!

Would it be fermented before stuffing it into the casings do you know mate?