Coopers Community

All Things Salumi

ben 10

On 6/17/2019 at 2:32 PM, Spudley said:

Update on the Salami, 4 weeks young now and coming along nicely, bit like beer really, not gunna wait 6 weeks, just can’t wait 👍🍺

B340D1FF-8ED5-4FD0-BB37-6EA574154AF0.jpeg

This little hanging chamber.... what is the temperature where it is?

Have you made pancetta or coppa? Cool enough here at the moment. I assume you made that?

Edited by Ben 10

2 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

This little hanging chamber.... what is the temperature where it is?

Have you made pancetta or coppa? Cool enough here at the moment. I assume you made that?

The little meat safe is in an old shower cubicle sitting at about 14 Degrees atm,

Yes have made Coppa ,took 3 months to hang and cure, sliced paper thin was pretty good. 🍺👍 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Smoking

IMG_20190624_131642.thumb.jpg.f3137c92d5d5f2d276725b261216c3d6.jpg

Ready to put away

IMG_20190624_172235.jpg

Looks great there Ben, The last lot of Keilbasa I made I included high temperature cheese , turned out superb, especially when wrapped in Bacon 🍺🍺👍 

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:40 PM, Spudley said:

Yes mate , they are a about 14 inches long when full length, halving them makes packaging easier and halving makes for a good snack size 👍🍺🍻

Very very good.

And those ripper looking beauties were just done with your recipe using the requisite wine and curing salts without bacto inoculation right?

So what was the general temperature regime?

Got back in time to Edit my email - I see you got 14 deg C.... Gold

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Very very good.

And those ripper looking beauties were just done with your recipe using the requisite wine and curing salts without bacto inoculation right?

So what was the general temperature regime?

Yes mate , no Bacto, Hung in ambient temperature for the full 5 weeks ..I stand by my regime as we are currently eating Salami that was made in October last year.👍

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Once a year this happens. So it’s not that much really.

Once a year - and what a beautiful thing.

I have an old buddy who said when he was a kid on the farm years ago they'd be up at the crack of dawn to kill the pig and have a massive family day of making all sorts of smallgoods ; )

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Spudley said:

Yes mate , no Bacto, Hung in ambient temperature for the full 5 weeks ..I stand by my regime as we are currently eating Salami that was made in October last year.👍

Spudley what sort of Temps were you curing in during October?

So it's plenty cool down in our Southern climes at this time of year but October would have been a bit warmer or?

47 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Spudley what sort of Temps were you curing in during October?

So it's plenty cool down in our Southern climes at this time of year but October would have been a bit warmer or?

Last lot last year , it was a bit warmer than Winter but not overly so ,in the old shower, being tiled all around keeps nice and cool , October the very latest in my area really depends on what the weather is doing 👍🍺

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spudley said:

You know its the season when you go to the place where you get all the ingredients from in my case its Master Butchers and they have a hole area set aside for home made the Salami.🙂

Yeah my local butcher is a family member of the family’s sausage in said picture.

He provides punters with everything ya need for “pig day”. Skins, meat, salt, herbs etc just not the vino. 

Best thing about a day like that is actually getting the family together. Forget about the end product, these guys do it for a family reunion of sorts. Tradition and having a good time doing it with their loved ones.  It’s actually pretty special to see, from grandparents to grandsons and daughters, 80-3 year olds at a get together to enjoy the fruits of their labour. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Yeah my local butcher is a family member of the family’s sausage in said picture.

He provides punters with everything ya need for “pig day”. Skins, meat, salt, herbs etc just not the vino. 

Best thing about a day like that is actually getting the family together. Forget about the end product, these guys do it for a family reunion of sorts. Tradition and having a good time doing it with their loved ones.  It’s actually pretty special to see, from grandparents to grandsons and daughters, 80-3 year olds at a get together to enjoy the fruits of their labour. 

Keeping the tradition alive and well, fantastic 🍷👍🍺

• Like 2

20 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Yep that is SO COOOL!  

Good stuff Capitano - really nice to learn about how to do stuff - and then hear some really cool stories along the way... thanks mate!

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 8:34 PM, Spudley said:

.I stand by my regime as we are currently eating Salami that was made in October last year.👍

Yes.... I do what works for me, and you for you. Yours looks superb!..

The older stuff is always better

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Yes.... I do what works for me, and you for you. Yours looks superb!..

The older stuff is always better

I am not there yet with respect to having a crack at making some... but reckon both methods + and - bacto both have merit - and the warmer you go the more likely you would be safer inoculating...  but I need to get a few basics resolved before I have a go.  Got quite a bit of Charcuterie to read to say the least ; )

But what you fellas are doing shown in the above info-trail is inspiring fer sher. 

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1