Coopers Community

How long does a batch take?

Ravanagh

Dudes:

I'm gonna buy a DIY kit or two depending on how long it takes to brew a batch - I don't wanna be without and have to go to the bottle-o while it brews. I like a drink - would it be better to keep two on the go, and alternate the brewing of them?

I appreciate your responses!

How long is a piece of string 😁,

it depends on many factors, do you want beer, good beer or great beer?  In three weeks (I week ferment, 2 weeks bottle or any combination of these) you will get beer 

A longer controlled ferment and longer storage will improve your kit to good beer.

To get great beer you need to step everything up and learn the processes required to get it that way.

there is no real shortcuts to great beer

• Thanks 1

Most K&K will finish fermenting in around 5-7 days and another 7 days in the bottle should give it enough carbonation to make it drinkable. However you will not get good or even decent beer. 

I personally leave it in the FV for 2 weeks, to give the yeast to clean up after itself and then leave it in the bottle for another 2 weeks. Some brews are ok after a week but a lot better after 2 (or more). I always have 2 brews going, whilst I'm still building up stock. They're about a week apart, so every weekend, one batch gets bottled and a new one started. Soon, I have enough stock to be self sufficient and will be able to experiment a little more without jeopardising supply. My problem is that I am running out of storage...should have bought two of those cupboards 🙂 

Photo-2019-05-28-17-07-17_4942.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Captain!! said:

Not the manliest of colours though is it @Aussiekraut🤪

Yeah I know right? It's my daughter's old room and it has pink curtains 😂

I label my bottles with coloured sticky dots and you have no idea how hard it is to tell apart orange and pink dots in this light 🙂 

• Haha 5

As for the OP, agree about how long is a piece of string, and what greeny says about three weeks.

Equipment plays a massive part in the quickness of a beer. 

Temp controlled fridge/freezer, kegerator, quick carb from Blichmann, the list goes one.

There is also yeast selection.

It also depends on quality,  or your expectations.

Mark d pirate brewed a ale in a week from strike water to glass. Pretty amazing really. And I'm sure that was quality drinking as he is a great brewer.

I also don't want to get your hopes up either, just saying that this is possible doing all the right things for time.

57 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Mark d pirate brewed a ale in a week from strike water to glass. Pretty amazing really. And I'm sure that was quality drinking as he is a great brewer.

I also don't want to get your hopes up either, just saying that this is possible doing all the right things for time.

Yep. I read an article a while back where a guy fermented a Saison in the keg under pressure using a spunding valve and was drinking it in under a week. Fermenting and carbonating at the same time. Got to try it one day.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

My problem is that I am running out of storage...should have bought two of those cupboards 🙂 

Do you need to store it in a dark place, do you? (I don't know much.)

Vielen Dank!

7 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Photo-2019-05-28-17-07-17_4942.JPG

5 hours ago, Ravanagh said:

Do you need to store it in a dark place, do you? (I don't know much.)

Vielen Dank!

I use a lot of green and even clear bottles, which are a lot more susceptible to light. But even brown bottles should be kept out of direct sunlight. 

• Thanks 1

It depends on your processes, but about 3 weeks is usually enough time for a batch to be fermented, bottled and carbonated. 

There are other factors that influence it, style of beer is a large one in that some styles need longer in the bottles (or kegs) to hit their peak than others. 

I have kegs now and could have ales carbonated and on tap in under two weeks if I wanted to, but they wouldn't be at their best. They're usually fermented in 7 days or less, plus a few days to allow yeast cleanup. At this point I chill the fermenter down and leave it for a week (cold crashing), but without that it would go straight into a keg. Even with the cold crash they can be on tap in under 3 weeks, but I like to leave them a bit longer to condition more. 

Lagers are a different story, they're usually in the fermenter for about 4 weeks (the final two chilled) then spend another month or more stored cold before being consumed. They're not bad if I drink them straight after kegging but that extra time cold makes them a fair bit better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2019 at 3:35 PM, Ravanagh said:

Dudes:

I'm gonna buy a DIY kit or two depending on how long it takes to brew a batch - I don't wanna be without and have to go to the bottle-o while it brews. I like a drink - would it be better to keep two on the go, and alternate the brewing of them?

I appreciate your responses!

Hi Ravanagh.
It takes roughly 3 weeks from starting a brew to drinking it but the beer improves if you can leave it in the bottle at room temperature for longer.
Yes, it's best kept in the dark. The Coopers PET bottle boxes do a good job of this.
I'm also quite the consumer. I started with the Coopers DIY kit but couldn't keep up with demand. 😉 
I bought a bigger fermenting vat (60 litre) from https://www.kegland.com.au/60l-hdpe-fermenter-kit.html for about $35. I now make 60 longnecks at a time.
Double the output. Only have to clean one vat, although it's more cumbersome than the Coopers kit fermenter.

• Thanks 1

I generally agree with the 3-week minimum turn-round (for ales) but aside from variables already mentioned this does also depend on the OG, yeast strain and fermentation temperature.  A high gravity beer is gonna take longer to ferment.  For a low to moderate strength beers however (OG=1.035 - 1.050) fermented @18-20ºC I find I can usually go from brew day to bottle in 7 - 8 days.    If you're in a bit of a hurry you could ferment at 22º and save a day or so.   I've had some 1.040-ish beers ferment out in a couple of days with certain yeasts.   

Edited by BlackSands
  • Thanks 1

That of course assumes you aren't cold crashing. I usually start the cold crash on day 8, cold crash for 7 days, carbonate for thee weeks, so it is more like five weeks in total. If you live in a hot climate, carbonation can happen more quickly, but in my climate it takes three weeks.

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 1

I put two down today, 10.5 hour brew day, cleaned the house, dethached the lawn, cut a few wine barrels in half, weeded the front garden, rode to school with the young fella and picked him up on the bikes. 

Deserve a few tonight. 

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

I put two down today, 10.5 hour brew day, cleaned the house, dethached the lawn, cut a few wine barrels in half, weeded the front garden, rode to school with the young fella and picked him up on the bikes. 

Deserve a few tonight. 

You’re a machine. All I did was put a beef cheek on the smoker and then walked back inside walking dog shit through the house.....

• Haha 4