Coopers Community

hops compatibility chart

worry wort

With great thanks to JoB for his marvelous work on the coopers recipe database and follow-up converter, but it got me thinking. For all us newbies to the wonderful world of hops, is there a similar chart advising which goes with what, such as which hops compliment each other, which hops are suited for which style of beer etc? A couple of times I have found myself in a situ where i don't have sufficient of a particular type of hops for a brew, so will figure out which would taste similar, but an xl spreadsheet would be a great aid in those times. 

• Like 2

If there is nothing already, I'd be happy to compile a database - but I'd need the raw data cuz I'm a newbie to the wonderful world of hops also (actually - I'm a newbie to all of it!).

Mebbe we could use this thread for folks to post hops substitutes, complimentary hops, etc..  suggestions and I'll pull from this to compile the DB?

Anyway, I'm happy to give it a go if people want to contribute the data...

• Like 1

Thanks for these replies, i did have the substiture charts but only ever thought that they were options if the main hop was not available. So i can use these charts to compliment the main hop with one or more of the substites, and if its not on the subs list its non-compatible? I just down want to mix hops that clash, if thats possible, and end up with a beer that i don't enjoy.

Back to @worry wort's original question RE: complimentary hops (rather than substitutes), I'm yet to have seen such a list.

I'd reckon such data would lie in trying to nail down beer styles and what hop mixes are generally used, then combining that with subtitutes etc.

I also think there could be an experimental side to it, but it would need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Personally, I'd love to hear some whacky hop combos that you've come up with that blow your mind and how they may fit in with a brew/style (but in reality you were just clearing the freezer 😋).

Some people call hops containing 4MMP (a sulphur compound) "lifter" hops, in that they interact with other hop oils to create news ones, that accentuate topical fruit flavours. Examples of hops containing 4MMP are Simcoe, Mosaic, Summit, Apollo, Tomahawk, Nelson Sauvin, and others. You don't have to use a lot of these high 4MMP hops to get the effect. The amount of 4MMP varies from year to year, and location to location. 

European hops tend not to have 4MMP as they are treated with copper, which deactivates it or something.

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Some people call hops containing 4MMP (a sulphur compound) "lifter" hops, in that they interact with other hop oils to create news ones, that accentuate topical fruit flavours. Examples of hops containing 4MMP are Simcoe, Mosaic, Summit, Apollo, Tomahawk, Nelson Sauvin, and others. You don't have to use a lot of these high 4MMP hops to get the effect. The amount of 4MMP varies from year to year, and location to location. 

European hops tend not to have 4MMP as they are treated with copper, which deactivates it or something.

Cheers,

Christina.

If I'm not mistaken @PB2 has previously also recommended Bravo as a good lifter hop. Since I have it in the freezer I'm going to throw a bit into my next Centennial DIPA (usually a single hop beerr) to see what it does. 

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, elLachlano said:

(but in reality you were just clearing the freezer 😋).

funny you should mention that......., this was part of the reason, when I first started on the hop additions, i sort of went overboard and bought all kinds of hops without realising that some would be seldom used, so im trying to find if i can squeeze some of these in with other hops.

• Like 1