Coopers Community

Red Rattler Ale

davids47

4 hours ago, davids47 said:

Just been looking at some Recipes  and saw this, Red Rattler Ale, says its not bitter , has any one made this  and what was your impressions of it

I have never made it, but it looks good.  I like these amber coloured brews.  Sometimes a bit sweeter tasting.

• Like 1

Yep made this one , with a twist throughly enjoyed it , it’s a good brew 

Name: Red Rattlers AleType: Red AleStart Date: 12/11/2018Bottle Date: 23/11/2018Status: ReviewedRating: 9

Recipe: INGREDIENTS Red Rattlers Ale
1 x 1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale
1 x 1.5kg Thomas Coopers Amber Malt Extract
1 x 500g Light Dry Malt
1 x 400g Crystal Malt Grain
1 x 25g Willamette Hop Pellets
1 x US 05 Yeast 
1 x 250g Coopers Carbonation Drops
1. MIX
Place the Crystal Malt Grain in a plastic zip-lock sandwich bag and crack it using a rolling pin.
Stir into 2 litres of hot water (not boiling) and let steep for about 1hr.
Strain into a good size pot (around 8 litres) then add the Light Dry Malt plus another 2 litres of water and bring to the boil.
Add Willamette hops and boil for 10mins, set the pot in a cold/ice water bath to cool then strain into a fermenting vessel (FV).
100 gm corn syrup 
Add the Australian Pale Ale and the Amber Malt Extract, stir to dissolve then top up with cool water to the 20 litre mark and stir thoroughly.
Check the brew temperature and top up to the 23 litre mark with warm or cold water (refrigerated if necessary) to get as close as possible to 22°C.
30 gram williamette dry hopped on day 5 of fermentation 
Sprinkle the US 05 Yeast 

Tracked via Brew Tracker

• Like 2

I’ve done it. It was great and will defs do again. Very close to the trolley ale by Karl Strauss I assume meant to be based off. Only thing I changed was the red malt. I couldn’t get what the recipe started so I used gladfields redback malt.

7011BB33-7A78-4912-8871-10DC50D8FB88.jpeg

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi all. Has anyone done the Red Rattler with 300gms of Caramunich 3 and the version using the optional of the "Brewers Note: For more residual sweetness in the beer increase the Caramunich addition to as much as 500g" ? 

Any thing else noticed? TIA 🙏

Ok, nothing heard, so I made our first Red Rattler Ale today with 300gm of Caramunich III. 

The only departures from the orig' recipe was adding 250gm of Coopers brewing sugar, and dropping the volume to 21.5 ltrs vs 23 ltrs. All other ingredients and process/timings were as per recipe.

Notes: The fresh Willamette hops have an amazing aroma and I think would be a great dry hop as well for an Australian Pale Ale. (Heraceous spiciness, floral, fruity) The aroma in the house when steeping then Caramunich III was incredible.

Initial smell and taste: Very Malty, a bit sweet (to be expected), light Caramel and toffee flavours.  Reasonably bitter to start with and then faded very quickly. I think it's delicious. Maybe some fresh baked biscuit aroma as well. 

Looks: The steeped grain result was red, (see pic) but not really red after mixed with all the other ingredients. More like an amber with a hint of brown.  We'll see how it comes out after fermentation.

OG was 1.062.

IMG_7865.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Back2Brewing said:

Ok, nothing heard, so I made our first Red Rattler Ale today with 300gm of Caramunich III. 

The only departures from the orig' recipe was adding 250gm of Coopers brewing sugar, and dropping the volume to 21.5 ltrs vs 23 ltrs. All other ingredients and process/timings were as per recipe.

Notes: The fresh Willamette hops have an amazing aroma and I think would be a great dry hop as well for an Australian Pale Ale. (Heraceous spiciness, floral, fruity) The aroma in the house when steeping then Caramunich III was incredible.

Initial smell and taste: Very Malty, a bit sweet (to be expected), light Caramel and toffee flavours.  Reasonably bitter to start with and then faded very quickly. I think it's delicious. Maybe some fresh baked biscuit aroma as well. 

Looks: The steeped grain result was red, (see pic) but not really red after mixed with all the other ingredients. More like an amber with a hint of brown.  We'll see how it comes out after fermentation.

OG was 1.062.

IMG_7865.jpeg

Nice mate love red ales I have a red ipa on tap at the moment bloody beautiful! Hope it works out!

• Like 1

So here is the “Red Rattler Ale” straight out of the fermenter, literally 1/2 hour off brewing for 5 days. Started at 1.062 and now down to 1.016, so it probably has a few point to go. I was manic when I found this recipe as I’ve spent a lot of time in San Diego and SOCAL and have drunk the KS Red Trolley Ale a lot. Love it.  
https://www.karlstrauss.com/beer/red-trolley-ale/

Well this clone recipe by Coopers does not disappoint. It is an awesome beer if you like this style. Just damn delicious. I can’t wait to let it brew out a few more days,  bottle it for a few weeks, and get stuck into it. 

IMG_7885.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Made another Red Rattler mod' recipe today. The last one was/is delicious. I made the previous version to 21.5 ltrs, but I really think it can carry to 23.

Mod's from the Coopers Recipe:

- 400gm of Caramunich III malt vs 300gm (Although they say you could go to 500gm. FYI the German Caramunich III contributes “dark amber to copper hues, and adds a rich malt accent with notes of biscuit and an intense caramel aroma.”)

- Add 100gm of Gladfields Redback malt. FYI the Kiwi Redback “adds malty, dried fruit and toasted malt flavours with red hues”.

- Add 250gm of Coopers brewing sugar ( 4:1 Dextrose:Maltodextrin)

- 30gm vs 25gm of Willamette hops for the 10 min boil

FV was filled to 23ltrs.

OG was 1061.

It smells amazing 😋

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well the last Red Rattler (Red Trolley clone) was interesting and not as expected. A real brown colour added to what was the original recipe red colour. Also, at least early on, a noticeable dried fruit flavour.  I put it down to the Redback malt I tried as an experiment. 

The German Caramunich III contributes “dark amber to copper hues, and adds a rich malt accent with notes of biscuit and an intense caramel aroma.” The  Kiwi Redback “adds malty, dried fruit and toasted malt flavours with red hues”.

The small amount of Redback made a bigger difference than expected and the red hues were more brown red.

I beat myself up about this, as I loved the original so much, but from the advertising, I thought it would add to the red colour of the Caramunich 3. It did not. I was expecting more caramel/sweet but it was definitely a stronger hop flavour (only an extra 5gm added) and surprisingly less caramel than before. A slight flavour hint of the dried fruit from the Redback malt seemed to be a bit out of place. Not sure how I feel about it. It was nice but did not surprise me and knock my socks off like it did last time. As it has developed in the bottle, the dried fruit and extra hops have died down a bit, but the colour is still "off". Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice beer as it is and the neighbours love it, but it's not what it is supposed to be. Back to near orig' recipe next time.

@MitchBastard  if you get a chance to try this again, try the Caramunich 3 instead of the Redback. It's a different beer, and better matches the orig' Red Trolley.

• Like 3

Red Rattler 3 (Red Trolley clone) 22 Oct 23.  Day 1.

INGREDIENTS

• 1 x 1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale
  • 1 x 1.5kg Thomas Coopers Amber Malt Extract (1.2kg amber malt)
  • 1 x 500g Light Dry Malt (Total 1.7kg extra malt over extract contents)
  • 1 x 500g Caramunich III Malt
  • 1 x 26g Willamette Hops
  • 1 x 5mg of yeast nutrient
  • 1 x 11g Lallemand BRY-97 Dry Yeast
  • 1 x 250g Coopers Carbonation Drops

Made to 23 ltrs.

Mixed vigorously and adjusted temperature when filling to 22 deg C. 

OG was 1.055

@1405 I pitched BRY-97 yeast after 20 min OEM hydration process in the top of FV. Wrapped the FV and set thermostat for 22 Deg C. The yeast started dropping the SG from +8 hours, and was starting to work hard at +12 hours.

Looking fwd to tasting what difference the extra 200g of Caramunich 3 makes over the 300g version.

IMG_8132.jpeg

IMG_8133.jpeg

Edited by Back2Brewing
add pics
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Back2Brewing said:

My Red Rattler (V3) “Red Trolley” clone.

5 weeks in bottles. Amazing flavour and mouthfeel, great carbonation. Not changing a thing with this version of the recipe. Just delicious 😋 

IMG_8234.jpeg

Very nice. I'm keen on making an all grain Red Ale using only english hops.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Very nice. I'm keen on making an all grain Red Ale using only english hops.

I have a simple Irish Red recipe that might fit the bill. Pale, Vienna, Crystal and roasted barley malts, Fuggle and EKG hops and trusty old Notty to ferment. I always quite liked this one.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I have a simple Irish Red recipe that might fit the bill. Pale, Vienna, Crystal and roasted barley malts, Fuggle and EKG hops and trusty old Notty to ferment. I always quite liked this one.

I'd love the recipe if you don't mind AK

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pale Man said:

I'd love the recipe if you don't mind AK

The recipe is for a 26l batch.

Recipe: Irish Red
Style: Irish Red Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Batch size: 26l

21 IBU, 4.6% ABV

Ingredients:

------------

3.50 kg          Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)      
1.30 kg          Vienna Malt (6.9 EBC)
0.20 kg          Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (236.4 EBC)
0.10 kg          Roasted Barley (591.0 EBC)

40.00 g          Fuggles [5.00 %] - Boil 40.0 min
20.00 g          East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0

1.0 pkg          Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) [23.66 ml] 

Mash temp: 67C 60 minutes
Mash Out: 78C 10 minutes
Boil: 60min

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

I am in plan  mode for this brew  not an easy brew     with some mash steps   but i love my red ales specialy the irish reds

image.thumb.png.08dee8ca679c18761c309edf85213a0e.png

3 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

The recipe is for a 26l batch.

Recipe: Irish Red
Style: Irish Red Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Batch size: 26l

21 IBU, 4.6% ABV

Ingredients:

------------

3.50 kg          Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)      
1.30 kg          Vienna Malt (6.9 EBC)
0.20 kg          Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (236.4 EBC)
0.10 kg          Roasted Barley (591.0 EBC)

40.00 g          Fuggles [5.00 %] - Boil 40.0 min
20.00 g          East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0

1.0 pkg          Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) [23.66 ml] 

Mash temp: 67C 60 minutes
Mash Out: 78C 10 minutes
Boil: 60min

Thanks lads for them, much appreciated. 

• Like 2