Coopers Community

RIS Ageing in Oak Barrel!!

Beer Baron

So I have this idea and I haven’t really thought about it too much I just thought I would throw it out there and get peoples opinions. 

Theres a few places around the sell oak barrels. I was thinking about getting a 5L barrel and give it a bit of a char and but a bottle of whiskey in it so that can leech into the wood for a while. 

Then I would brew a big 12% Russian Imperial Stout and put it in the barrel for a small amount of time and until I am happy with the flavours. When I am happy I will bottle and save until my 40th which is still a while away but it will be aged very well. 

Good idea?? 

Bad idea?? 

Can it be done like this or am I crazy?? 

Beer Baron

• Like 1

If you don't mind going to the trouble of all that I imagine it would work well.

I've used oak chips in brews a number of times now & really enjoyed what they gave to the IPA's & Porters I used them in. Very easy & inexpensive to use too.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben 10 said:

I believe you may need to be careful of oxidisation.

Any tips to avoid this?? 

I would imagine all beer aged in barrels would get small amounts of oxygen in them, it’s impossible not to. 

Because of the small barrel size I wouldn’t have to age it for a long length of time. 

Either way I’m still up for it!!

Is the total batch going to be 5L, or are you just planning to put 5L of a much larger batch into the barrel? I'd suggest making 15L at least and ...

• Put 1/3 in the barrel
  • Put 1/3 into a different plastic container with oak chips
  • Put 1/3 into a third container with no oak chips

Oxidisation usually happens during transfer, doesn't it? Hopefully if you have to transfer each part the oxidisation is at least consistent 😋

174544-science-humor-robot-guitar-748x56

Edited by King Ruddager

2 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

Is the total batch going to be 5L, or are you just planning to put 5L of a much larger batch into the barrel? I'd suggest making 15L at least and ...

• Put 1/3 in the barrel
  • Put 1/3 into a different plastic container with oak chips
  • Put 1/3 into a third container with no oak chips

Oxidisation usually happens during transfer, doesn't it? Hopefully if you have to transfer each part the oxidisation is at least consistent 😋

174544-science-humor-robot-guitar-748x56

I was only planning to make 5L but making 15L does make sense Ruddy. I might get a couple of those small glass fermenters and do exactly what you said. 

Nice call Ruddy!!!

I think it is a great idea ... I have had a good think about it and the high ABV will reduce any oxidation and the chance of bacterial infection that goes with the use of wood and permeability  ... the use of whisky to season the oak is great but any spirit would work ... personally i would use a port to season it ... the tannin would go really well with a big stout ... I have a pretty reasonable of wine and they age wine of a similar ABV to the stout  on oak for a minimum of a year often. So i think you are on a winner the issue is carbonation how are you going to address that?   If you secondary in the barrel at time of kegging it will pressurise the barrel and reduce the chance of oxidation ...  the thing is you have to be very precise on the sugar as over carbonation will be a BOMB .... or just really heady beer ....  anyway there a some thought .... good luck look forward to reading the outcome... 

20 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

the issue is carbonation how are you going to address that?

That’s an excellent question...... I hope I can get some help with this. 

Due to the barrel size I don’t think I would need to age for long but I don’t know if the yeast would stay alive in the barrel and I’m not sure of the impact of the barrel on the yeast. I’m not really sure about the other 2 that I will age differently.........

”HELP”

1 minute ago, Beer Baron said:

That’s an excellent question...... I hope I can get some help with this. 

Due to the barrel size I don’t think I would need to age for long but I don’t know if the yeast would stay alive in the barrel and I’m not sure of the impact of the barrel on the yeast. I’m not really sure about the other 2 that I will age differently.........

”HELP”

way to solve that issue is to do a test run with a secondary carbonation ... the thing is how are they sealed and if you are not aging it for long why age it ... to get oak flavours  from barrels in wine it is usually 1 year for fruit driven wine.... but stouts are big so will need several months at minimum ...  the barrel itself will hold the pressure of carbonation but will the tap seal and the top plug?   personally do a test run do 5lt of just a water malt mix that is primary fermented to 12.5% then put in the barrel and do a secondary with minimum sugar say 40% of what is need for bottles ... that will give the seals a test .... if you dont want to do that just do a brew with what ever sugar you want and see how it holds .... but as i say the barrel will be fine it is the tap seal and plug ... 

• Like 1

I guess one thing to consider as well is that you’ll probably need to take into account your finished gravity as by the time you pull it out it may be a few points lower (depending on how long you age it for and the critters inside the barrel). Of course a RIS is still going to have a fair amount of residual sugars. 

• Like 1