Coopers Community

Sanitising products

I ran out of the sanitiser i usually use from the Brew shop so used Miltons baby bottle steriliser from Coles instead.  It said it was no-rinse required & steep time was 15mins & looked like it would do the job.  I have noticed that the main ingredient is chlorine though.  I pitched the yeast last night & it still hadn't frothed up by this morning..  Could a trace of chlorine kill the yeast off during primary fermentation ???

I imagine there would have only been trace amounts of chlorine left in the fermenter.  Some yeast are inherently slow to start, and really 'overnight' isn't all that long.  I'd give it more time before you hit the panic button!  🙂   

22 hours ago, South Cott Brewing said:

I ran out of the sanitiser i usually use from the Brew shop so used Miltons baby bottle steriliser from Coles instead.  It said it was no-rinse required & steep time was 15mins & looked like it would do the job.  I have noticed that the main ingredient is chlorine though.  I pitched the yeast last night & it still hadn't frothed up by this morning..  Could a trace of chlorine kill the yeast off during primary fermentation ???

If you check for condensation on the lid also gives you an early sign fermentation has started but as black sands said give it more time how is it going now 21hours later the suspense is killing me🤣

On 5/25/2019 at 12:49 PM, BHB19 said:

If you check for condensation on the lid also gives you an early sign fermentation has started but as black sands said give it more time how is it going now 21hours later the suspense is killing me🤣

Hey all good.  There was some condensation from memory but also approx. 1.5cms froth when i got back from work so yes - just needed to be patient & its started to ferment nicely.

• Like 3