Coopers Community

sealing twist top stubbies

worry wort

3 hours ago, worry wort said:

what is used to seal twist top stubbies, are there different types of caps to buy? I used to do it with the old non-twist ones, but curious how good a seal you can get with a twist top.

I just use the one arm bandit with the normal caps no problems I do prefer the pry off bottles though. I don’t think you can use the other type of bottle capper with the two handles on either side I think it causes the screw tops to splinter/shatter.

4 hours ago, worry wort said:

what is used to seal twist top stubbies, are there different types of caps to buy? I used to do it with the old non-twist ones, but curious how good a seal you can get with a twist top.

I use the regular caps and they seem to work fine but I haven't managed to twist one off, so a bottle opener is needed...or teeth, eye sockets or whatever you prefer. They're just a bit of a pain because they get stuck in the capper. They tend to get stuck in the bell. It seems to have something to do with the "ridge" before the twisty bits. Pry off bottles are round, where twist tops more angular. hard to describe, just compare the top parts of the bottle and you know what I mean. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BHB19 said:

I just use the one arm bandit with the normal caps no problems I do prefer the pry off bottles though. I don’t think you can use the other type of bottle capper with the two handles on either side I think it causes the screw tops to splinter/shatter.

Those two handles cappers work but yes as you said, it's very easy to crush a bottle neck. They do get stuck in the bench capper as well though.

53 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Those two handles cappers work but yes as you said, it's very easy to crush a bottle neck. They do get stuck in the bench capper as well though.

I didn’t think it was worth the risk with the two handle one so never used it for the screw tops the person who introduced me to home brewing told me that and I  didn’t like the idea of drinking beer with shards of glass in it😳 I just used  my bench capper for the screw tops Which was homemade by an engineer friend of mine I will photograph the bell which have had no problems with might be a bit wider perhaps???

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

See photos as described using normal coopers caps And my bench capper I think the bell is off the capper you hit with a hammer I think never had a cap get stuck and as Otto every now and then one is hard to twist off but think they might be bottled that have been filled for a long time????

2F522D7E-8F02-4CB6-8A62-FC5EE5B8D2D9.jpeg

6BA64165-05E1-48D0-9F18-D2DD37BF505E.jpeg

C25883C2-5231-4314-A27B-5714C8B6775D.jpeg

9EE1EB9A-1363-40F1-B00A-15D209933694.jpeg

• Like 1

I just read the other thread I must be lucky with my capper as I have used both the coopers brand caps and the ones from big w maybe brigalow brand all seem to seal properly and twist off ok. I recently lost a few bottles swingtops which have gone flat chucking them not worth the hassle/risk imo👍

My capper was a drill press. Had a little bell contraption that dad made up, it was held by the chuck. Twist tops required more force but were still very easily done. Still got the bell contraption but nothing here to use it with yet. 

Didn't know about the different types of crown seals back then so just used whatever ones I bought. Dad used to work at a packaging mob, but twist tops were after his time so he'd have been unaware of the difference as well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BHB19 said:

I just read the other thread I must be lucky with my capper as I have used both the coopers brand caps and the ones from big w maybe brigalow brand all seem to seal properly and twist off ok. I recently lost a few bottles swingtops which have gone flat chucking them not worth the hassle/risk imo👍

Agree - have had experience with one-arm-bandit cappers with twist top bottles - and it all seemed to work with the normal caps as well.

But IMHO you can't go past 500g weight Coopers Largie Bottles with crown seals.... I don't favour the thin-glass bottles with the fragile screw top thread... 

And it has been quite enjoyable building up my Coopers Collection which continues to expand when the largies are on special 😜

My swinger-tops have been pretty good... but cannot say whether over long storage they will seal?

• Like 2

I've used Cooper's stubbies with the thread before in my brigalow one arm bandit style capper. I found if I capped once, then turned the bottle slightly and levered down again a second time it made a great seal around the ridges of the thread. No issues at all.

• Like 1