Coopers Community

Milk Stout

I've been thinking about making a Milk Stout for a while now.

Stopping off at the shops on Friday I bought on impulse.
Coopers Irish Stout, lactose and some rolled oats.

I've read that people use the rolled oats in stout, but really have no idea what to do with them.
Steep I presume but how much and how much lactose?
Brew it short down to 18 or 20 litres?

I already have Light Dry Malt. I could call in and buy some Dark Dry Malt.

Kit yeast or some S04 I have here?

Thoughts everyone?

The brains trust will be able to confirm but I think your oats have to be mashed with a base malt to extract the sugars you need.....otherwise you just end up with haze. Probably Won’t matter with a stout but I’m not sure how it affects flavour....

i recently added 250g of lactose to a stout. That was as per recipe for a 23ltr batch. If I do it again I might up the lactose maybe another 100g. Maybe. 

I also used 2 x 04 yeast packs

Hope this helps.

M

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 2

On 5/21/2019 at 8:52 AM, Graculus said:

I've been thinking about making a Milk Stout for a while now.

...Coopers Irish Stout, lactose and some rolled oats...

...Kit yeast or some S04 I have here?

Thoughts everyone?

I admit I'm not entirely well versed with Milk Stouts, but I would have some reservations about using S-04 on a brew like this with those ingredients, particularly the lactose.

The S-04 tends to leave more body & residual sweetness in the beer & the lactose definitely does both as well. You then have more added body from the oats & whatever the kit contains. That combo could well leave a 1.020+ FG depending on the full makeup of ingredients & the intended ABV%.

The Coopers DIY recipe: Macho Macchiato Stout uses the same kit & some lactose, but uses a high attenuating yeast to ferment it. A big high FG would always have me worrying about my bottled beer over-carbonating or even the potential for bottle bombs if I allowed them to condition for a decent period of time.

+1 about mashing the oats with a base malt. If you don't it just releases starchy liquid that despite adding some body, doesn't taste too flash.

Just my 2 cents,

Lusty.

• Like 1