Coopers Community

Mosiac Citra Neipa

Would just like  peoples opinion I think it looks Ok but I like others opinions are great I think thanks in advance guys

3kg maris otter / Gladfeilds ale malt 

.3 Wheat malt

.4kg carapils

,5kg Quick oats woolworths

.175kg Lactose

15g columbus 15mins

38g mosiac + 38g citra cubed at 82c 

75g of both mosaic and citra at day 3 for 48hrs 

38g  of both mosaic and citra at day 7 for 48hrs

Total hops 315g  and 16L in the fermenter ibu's  low 70's approx

US-05  or Bry-97 unsure

What do you all think cheers Brian

• Like 1

A cube hop at 82 degrees would be lucky to contribute 10 IBUs unless you used hundreds of grams. The isomerisation rate would be very slow, and the wort would cool below 80 relatively quickly. Given that, 15g of any pellet or flower hop boiled for 15 minutes isn't gonna provide ~60 IBUs either. I'd expect in total it would be around the 40 mark give or take.

The actual amounts and timings used would probably work well for the beer, but the IBU figure is way out. I usually cube hop about 35-40g when I do it and estimate it at around 3-5 IBUs depending on the hops used. I do fill the cube hotter, around 90, but with those batches it sits for 10 minutes then goes in the pool to chill down under isomerisation temps. These types of additions don't really taste bitter either like a long boiled addition would. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

How do you get 70 odd IBUs from a 15 minute boil of a small amount of Columbus plus a cube hop? Something's not right there, even for a 16 litre batch. 

have I calculated wrong  ? on the cube addition I did them as whirl pool at 82 c in brewers friend  but I agree with you Otto you have much more knowledge about it then me . Are was writing and realized you answered .I will be chilling mine by putting it in my fermenting fridge/freezer and setting it on a lower temp to cool it quick/quicker or letting it cool slower will give me more ibu,s . so (90c you reckon

14 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

A cube hop at 82 degrees would be lucky to contribute 10 IBUs unless you used hundreds of grams. The isomerisation rate would be very slow, and the wort would cool below 80 relatively quickly. Given that, 15g of any pellet or flower hop boiled for 15 minutes isn't gonna provide ~60 IBUs either. I'd expect in total it would be around the 40 mark give or take.

The actual amounts and timings used would probably work well for the beer, but the IBU figure is way out. I usually cube hop about 35-40g when I do it and estimate it at around 3-5 IBUs depending on the hops used. I do fill the cube hotter, around 90, but with those batches it sits for 10 minutes then goes in the pool to chill down under isomerisation temps. These types of additions don't really taste bitter either like a long boiled addition would. 

Hey thanks Kelsey I realise where I made my  error % % %  on cube additions rookie mistake  thanks for pointing it out  I going to readjust hops a bit more at 15mins  and the cube at 90c thanks once again you are a wealth of knowledge

• Like 1

That 90 degree cube temp is just an estimate. I once measured the wort at 92 degrees after it sat 20 minutes after flameout, but by the time it was in the cube it had dropped to about 88 degrees. Given my slight change of process since, it's probably sitting around 87-88 before it goes in now. 

From my reading, NEIPAs are characterised by big late/flameout additions and little in the way of anything earlier, so you would get a pretty good result from putting most of the hops in at flameout and in the cube with a small earlier addition. A big dry hop too but that comes later of course. 

The one IPA I've brewed so far was bordering on NEIPA territory and it wasn't what I really wanted. For the style I was doing, there should have been more long boiled hops. I might have to brew another one when I get more hops.

• Like 1

Well did it today it went like this I changed it a little

3kg American ale malt

.4kg Best wheat

.4kg carapils

.5kg quick oats

..3kg rice hulls

Hops

16g columbus@15mins

38g mosaic + 40 citra in the cube at 90c

have 160 citra  140 mosaic to add in 2 doses one at high krausen and another at day 7 or so

Got just over 70% bh which seems to be my normal which I am happy with

So will be  just shy of 400g / 16l  25g / L the most I have ever hopped a beer

Edited by therealthing691
  • Like 3

well I dosed the dry hopping a little more as I had extra hops LOL. first dose was 60g mosaic 15g simcoe 75g citra at day day 3 and removed after 72hrs

2nd dose is 100g citra and 75g mosaic smell really nice so far  cant wait to smell it at bottling

• Like 1

Just took a reading where down to 1011 just added the 2nd dose of DH so I think  after the 2nd dose have done there thing I will transfer to a secondary for a few days then bottle this weekend coming the colour  is amazing at bottling will post some pictures cheers

• Like 1