Coopers Community

Irony...

BlackSands

Yep, plenty of good lagers (eg a bitter, hoppy pils or a rich malty doppelbock).

It's also fun just to experiment. Take an ale you really like and ferment it with a lager yeast at lager temps just to see the differences.  Sometimes it can surprise you with how good they are... For example my imperial milk stout fermented with a lager yeast was really very tasty. 

Cheers, 

John 

10 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Haha!

Capt. you really need to start looking past what is "traditional" for a lager, & perhaps look at what you can DO with a lager yeast with an expanded mindset.

The lager strains have some wonderful malt friendly/head related/consistency of bead & length of carbonation qualities that differ from ale strains for the most part from my limited experimentation with a handful of them against ale strains used on similar grists.

They're not particularly kind to hops vs ale strains so some adjustments need to be made above traditional ale yeast hopping practices to achieve similar hop influenced outcomes if wishing to use a lager strain. I'm currently working through this process.

I'm becoming more & more convinced through experimentation that my "grail" beer will most likely be a lager yeast strain fermented beer.

Just my 2 cents,

Lusty.

Hey Lusty,

I know your trying to encourage me to expand my horizons and rightfully so.

I really have tried to enjoy lagers, I really have, There’s just this one taste that I can’t get past. Maybe I’m sensitive to this particular chemical in the beer but I really can’t get past the taste and smell of it. 

Ive had a couple of lagers that were drinkable but did I enjoy them? No I didn’t. The Beerfarm IPL is one such beer. Their IPA however is much much better. 

Hiya Capt.

9 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Hey Lusty,

I know your trying to encourage me to expand my horizons and rightfully so.

I really have tried to enjoy lagers, I really have, There’s just this one taste that I can’t get past. Maybe I’m sensitive to this particular chemical in the beer but I really can’t get past the taste and smell of it. 

Ive had a couple of lagers that were drinkable but did I enjoy them? No I didn’t. The Beerfarm IPL is one such beer. Their IPA however is much much better. 

I'm hearin' ya. Traditional lagers don't really thrill me in any major way either. The yeast strain itself & what it imparts though, I'm finding very interesting & enjoyable attempting to adapt my hoppy ale practices too. I'm probably still 2-3 brews off cracking the final levels I'm looking for in the beer, but feel I'm definitely somewhere in the home straight with it.

To give you an example of where the brew is at, I'm looking to target something in the low to mid 50's IBU on the next version on what is a 4.8-5.0% ABV grist. If using a clean ale strain it would likely taste like an IPA, but such is the malt friendliness of the lager yeast strain with how it curbs perceivable bitterness & smooths that right out on the palate, it'll likely resemble something around the high 20's to low 30's IBU-wise as a comparison if fermented with a clean ale strain.

It's a battle alright, but one the lager strain will eventually lose with what I want from it. 😉

I'll send you one (if you're interested) once I've got it where I want it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Hiya Capt.

I'm hearin' ya. Traditional lagers don't really thrill me in any major way either. The yeast strain itself & what it imparts though, I'm finding very interesting & enjoyable attempting to adapt my hoppy ale practices too. I'm probably still 2-3 brews off cracking the final levels I'm looking for in the beer, but feel I'm definitely somewhere in the home straight with it.

To give you an example of where the brew is at, I'm looking to target something in the low to mid 50's IBU on the next version on what is a 4.8-5.0% ABV grist. If using a clean ale strain it would likely taste like an IPA, but such is the malt friendliness of the lager yeast strain with how it curbs perceivable bitterness & smooths that right out on the palate, it'll likely resemble something around the high 20's to low 30's IBU-wise as a comparison if fermented with a clean ale strain.

It's a battle alright, but one the lager strain will eventually lose with what I want from it. 😉

I'll send you one (if you're interested) once I've got it where I want it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hey Lusty,

As im sure you are aware I’ve been watching your “Grail” beer unfold with great enthusiasm. I really hope you get there mate. 

Once you’ve got there I would be interested in trying one as I’m always up for something new. 

I will keep my eyes posted for the next brew day thread

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

...Once you’ve got there I would be interested in trying one as I’m always up for something new. 

It's sort of already there, but needs magnification in certain areas (IMHO) if you get my drift.

39 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

...I really hope you get there mate.

Inevitable. 😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

On 5/29/2019 at 10:03 AM, The Captain!! said:

That’s why I think I’m just sensitive to that particular chemical. 

A mate of mine loves his lagers and he can’t taste it either. Thinks I’m a bit of a pussy ha ha ha he’s probably right

That’s me too. Never grown to like the taste. I noticed that if I drink lagers feel like crap the next day (I won’t go into details). When I don’t drink lagers and I feel good. Lagers just don’t sit well with me.