Coopers Community

Irony...

BlackSands

2 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Kinda like Best Australian songs, by Crowded House and that new Australian singer, Lorde. 

Why do we always try to claim the good stuff. 

By the @BlackSands, you can keep Russel Crowe. 

Crowded House is Australian. Formed in Melbourne and 2 of the three founding members were Australian.

And North of Nowhere Pale Ale is awful.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

Crowded House is Australian. Formed in Melbourne and 2 of the three founding members were Australian.

And North of Nowhere Pale Ale is awful.

Ha ha ha your a funny bugger. Also probably recorded in Melbourne. I have the sorest ribs for months after repeatedly calling crowded house and dragon Aussie bands from my wife. I love her dearly.

4 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Ha ha ha your a funny bugger. Also probably recorded in Melbourne. I have the sorest ribs for months after repeatedly calling crowded house and dragon Aussie bands from my wife. I love her dearly.

Dragon is a NZ band.

And North of Nowhere Pale Ale is still awful.

• Haha 1

On 5/17/2019 at 11:00 PM, Hairy said:

And North of Nowhere Pale Ale is still awful.

Funny, I've never actually heard of it until this award.  It's probably popular but generally I stay well away from anything produced by the 'megaswill' breweries these days

On 5/18/2019 at 1:48 AM, Potatoes said:

It is the international awards so wouldn’t they choose overseas beers which are like Australian beers?

Don't worry, plenty of Aussie beers won in other categories!  😉

steinlager is awful too.

Technically, it was Steinlager Pure that won this award, though you're probably right regardless.   However, in Steinlager's defence, though I don't drink it myself, it did in fact win the Les Amis du Vin Award (Washington DC) 4 years running 1977 - 80 at which point they were asked (politely) not to reenter!  It won the ‘Best Beer in the World’ title in the United States - also in 1980.   Later, in 1988 it was judged the best from a line-up of 32 international brews in a competition in Melbourne.   Just sayin'  😉

Edited by BlackSands

On 5/24/2019 at 3:27 PM, BlackSands said:

Technically, it was Steinlager Pure that won this award, though you're probably right regardless.   However, in Steinlager's defence, though I don't drink it myself, it did in fact win the Les Amis du Vin Award (Washington DC) 4 years running 1977 - 80 at which point they were asked (politely) not to reenter!  It won the ‘Best Beer in the World’ title in the United States - also in 1980.   Later, in 1988 it was judged the best from a line-up of 32 international brews in a competition in Melbourne.   Just sayin'  😉

I was not aware of that.  I have a bias as I don't really like lagers to begin with.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2019 at 3:27 PM, BlackSands said:

Funny, I've never actually heard of it until this award.  It's probably popular but generally I stay well away from anything produced by the 'megaswill' breweries these days

Aldi sell it. I don't think it's very popular... And Hairy is right - it's horrible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gazzala said:

Aldi sell it. I don't think it's very popular... And Hairy is right - it's horrible.

I noticed on the weekend that Aldi are selling South of Nowhere. I think it stated it was an Australian Pale Ale.

• Haha 1

On 5/27/2019 at 5:23 PM, The Captain!! said:

Leaves potatoes long enough and they’ll smell like a lager.......

Haha!

Capt. you really need to start looking past what is "traditional" for a lager, & perhaps look at what you can DO with a lager yeast with an expanded mindset.

The lager strains have some wonderful malt friendly/head related/consistency of bead & length of carbonation qualities that differ from ale strains for the most part from my limited experimentation with a handful of them against ale strains used on similar grists.

They're not particularly kind to hops vs ale strains so some adjustments need to be made above traditional ale yeast hopping practices to achieve similar hop influenced outcomes if wishing to use a lager strain. I'm currently working through this process.

I'm becoming more & more convinced through experimentation that my "grail" beer will most likely be a lager yeast strain fermented beer.

Just my 2 cents,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust