Coopers Community

Cream ale

So, as I’m sure most of you are aware, there is no lagers brewed at “The Captains Ale House”, so with a nod to the lager world I’m thinking about a cream ale. 

I have a few recipes that I’ve developed but to be honest I’m thinking maybe doing something like Ottos pils recipe using a cream ale yeast. 

Clearly Otto’s true Pils is sensational then all I’m doing is improving on his recipe. 

Must be pretty easy to improve on such a good recipe just by making it an ale? Surely?

Anyone brewed a cream ale before?

• Haha 3

I haven’t brewed one before but I do have one on the cards for when it warms up a bit.  

They look like a simple easy drinking lawnmower type beer. 

I follow the BCJP guidelines very loosely but I believe cream ales generally uses pale malt and flaked maize but if you want to use an awesome lager grain bill then go for it!! 

Good luck Captain!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koo wee brew said:

Lager

Hey mate,

I love your enthusiasm but please do not swear on this thread. Think about the kids mate.  Young, new brewers might think that lagers are ok. 

Its truely the worst language anyone can speak given a tongue. 

Your response and advice doesn’t come unrewarded though. I think Noto at a lower temp is a great idea. It’ll drop clear and have really clear characteristics. 

Thanks for that.

Rice......... unsure I wanna make it that “sh!t tasting” ha ha think that might be pushing the limit from ale but hey, good suggestion and I’ll have a bit of a read about it!

• Haha 5

Just now, Otto Von Blotto said:

Having brewed that recipe as an ale once I can categorically say that it does not improve it at all 😂

Clearly tongue in cheek. But in all honesty I think your recipe is a really good base for a cream ale. I’ll research some more but yeah.

Cream ale is one beer I've always been fascinated in and is on my to brew list, somewhere down there.

I'd be seeking out the cream ale yeast to get it as close as possible to the originals. But it's not the yeast that is versatile enough to be used in several brews/styles so would not get multiple pitches... Unless I really liked cream ale and brewed it regularly!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, joolbag said:

I'd be seeking out the cream ale yeast to get it as close as possible to the originals. But it's not the yeast that is versatile enough to be used in several brews/styles so would not get multiple pitches... Unless I really liked cream ale and brewed it regularly!

From everything I've been reading about cream ale its a style that is quite fresh and kinda lawnmowery. Meaning, its a beer you would want to brew over and over through the spring, summer months. Savouring that yeast.

• Like 2

Good link @Koo wee brew Thanks mate. The more I read about it, the more parallels I draw between a Kölsch and a cream ale. Both are great spring and summer beers, very crowd pleasing, not overly malty, bitter or Hoppy but all must be in balance.

Kölsch is on my regular rotation, and the bonus is I like this yeast for my Berliner Weisse sours and have used it in Hoppy blonde ales too.

@The Captain!! have you brewed a Kölsch yet? It's wandering dangerously close to Lager territory

• 2 months later...

Fast carbed a 2L soft drink bottle this arvo;

90% Voyager Atlas, 10% Flaked Rice, Tettnanger @60 &10 For 20 IBU, WLP 029 (Pitched at 16, held for 4 days then ramped up gradually to 20) OG 1044 FG 1008

Dry crisp finish. Loved It. Was great after a busy day.  Will post a pic after I let it Lager for a few weeks. Will do again, next time with corn. 

Cheers,

Dave. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Looks like the Captain is slowly trying to wean himself onto lagers. 😜

Best of luck with it Capt.

Actually I’m gearing up to open a brewery one day and I’d better have a lawn mower type beer that isn’t a lager in a Ale house. 

• Like 2

On 10/14/2019 at 8:13 PM, The Captain!! said:

Actually I’m gearing up to open a brewery one day and I’d better have a lawn mower type beer that isn’t a lager in a Ale house. 

If you actually ever do, I'd offer Ben a job.

Brew b!t@h, specialty food prep, catering, beer research & development, division head of dept for experimental brewing, head chef,... to name a few.

You could really milk him, & just manage the place & rake in the dough. 😋

All jokes aside, if I ever come into some money I would make a business like this & offer the bloke a job. His talent is undeniable.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Beerlust said:

All jokes aside, if I ever come into some money I would make a business like this & offer the bloke a job. His talent is undeniable.

Ha ha. Imagine having Lusty as your boss.

What happens when Ben wants to make a beer with Magnum?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3