Coopers Community

I took the plunge...

It can be put into a keg, but I wouldn't waste gas trying to carbonate it at room temperature. It won't carbonate on 12psi anyway because it's a function of pressure as well as temperature. It needs to be chilled to carbonate at that pressure. 

Just leave it on for a few hours to get some pressure into it then leave it sit until you get the fridge. The beer will be fine.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It can be put into a keg, but I wouldn't waste gas trying to carbonate it at room temperature. It won't carbonate on 12psi anyway because it's a function of pressure as well as temperature. It needs to be chilled to carbonate at that pressure. 

Just leave it on for a few hours to get some pressure into it then leave it sit until you get the fridge. The beer will be fine.

Cheers mate.

Ill fill, burp and set it at 12PSI for a few hours then store till the fridge arrives.

Cheers.

This blurb came with my kegerator set up;

Natural Conditioning Clean and sanitise the keg thoroughly. Prime with sugar at the rate of 4g per
litre. Rack via a piece of sanitised, flexible tubing so that the beer runs to the bottom of the keg.
Leave 5 – 10 cm of headspace at the top. Seal the keg then invert and give it a shake to mix the
sugar and check that the seal is good. Store at 18°C or above for a week, then allow the beer to
condition for at least two weeks. Refrigerate for a day or two, momentarily release the keg pressure,
then connect the gas at required pouring pressure 35 – 100 kPa, depending on your system.

1 hour ago, Gus96 said:

This blurb came with my kegerator set up;

Natural Conditioning Clean and sanitise the keg thoroughly. Prime with sugar at the rate of 4g per
litre. Rack via a piece of sanitised, flexible tubing so that the beer runs to the bottom of the keg.
Leave 5 – 10 cm of headspace at the top. Seal the keg then invert and give it a shake to mix the
sugar and check that the seal is good. Store at 18°C or above for a week, then allow the beer to
condition for at least two weeks. Refrigerate for a day or two, momentarily release the keg pressure,
then connect the gas at required pouring pressure 35 – 100 kPa, depending on your system.

Cheers mate, I will still force carb, its more of a storage situation until I can get a fridge sorted then ill carb it up with my C02 bottle.

Cheers.

So I plumbed up all the gas lines and disconnects on the weekend, pressure tested everything and all seems to be good :).

Kegged my Shark Attack XPA last night and burped it off, its now sitting at 12PSI in ambient conditions until I can get to pickup my fridge (hopefully this week).

I have a question regarding the fill level of the keg. I remember reading somewhere that you do not want the liquid to touch the gas post so I ensured there was a bit of an air gap (probably 5-10cm), but it was hard to see the gay as there was a decent amount of stellasan foam in the keg still.

Is there a general rule for this? Like 5cm below the gas post or as long as there is a gap below the gas post its okay?

Cheers :).

5 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

If you look inside the kegs you'll see two weld lines near the top. I usually fill mine to somewhere in between these. It's probably more like about 3-4cm below the gas diptube but better than a less than full keg. 10cm is ridiculous. 

Cool cheers, I think that's where I stopped mine anyway as I saw the weld marks and thought they would be a good indicator.

Will try and have less sanitiser foam in it next time so I can actually see lol.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/14/2019 at 6:59 PM, MitchellScott said:

I'm guessing the easiest way to get beer from the FV to the keg is use the bottling valve but put some tubing over the end of it and into the bottom of the keg? 

If so, does anyone know the tubing diameter to fit over the bottling valve tube?

I actually went to bunnings and brought some 25 mm food grade tube and I just open the Fv and siphon it out to my kegs leaving all the sediment behind.

Cheers Chris

• Like 1