Coopers Community

I took the plunge...

So I bought a Keg Kit lol.

I was kidding myself when I was saying I would bottle for a while hahaha.

Just bought this Keg Kit: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Party-Kegerator-Kit-2-X-Reconditioned-Used-19L-Ball-Lock-Keg-System/382648640537

I also have a regulator and 6kg C02 bottle coming.

Will be getting a fridge and turning it into a Keezer with the two taps drilled through the front door.

Anyone got any tips/tricks I should know before starting my kegging career? 😄

Cheers, Mitch.

• Like 3

Check out the original kegging time thread, there's a fair bit of info in the first few pages before it morphed into a topic about whatever we're filling out kegs with. 

One thing I'd suggest is not buying cheap shit equipment. Buy quality and buy it once, it'll save money in the long run. 

24 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Check out the original kegging time thread, there's a fair bit of info in the first few pages before it morphed into a topic about whatever we're filling out kegs with. 

One thing I'd suggest is not buying cheap shit equipment. Buy quality and buy it once, it'll save money in the long run. 

Cheers OVB. Will take a look.

I know the price of the kit is quite cheap (especially with the ebay coupon codes), but it all looks pretty legit to me. Refurbished kegs with new lids, seals and posts. The only thing I'm a little worried about is the taps but if they do not last I'll swap them out with some Stainless ones.

Mitch.

9 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Watch the lines too. The lesser quality ones have a tendency to split easily. The kegs themselves should be fine though. 

Will keep an eye on it. 

What lines do you recommend? I might just swap them out. 

I'm guessing the easiest way to get beer from the FV to the keg is use the bottling valve but put some tubing over the end of it and into the bottom of the keg? 

If so, does anyone know the tubing diameter to fit over the bottling valve tube?

47 minutes ago, Gus96 said:

not a clear pic but you get the idea,

I fill the keg with gas before filling to get rid of the oxygen and purge before filling.

20190307_154855.jpg

Unfortunately with the coopers fv and new tap the tube won't go over it like that but I should be able to use the bottling valve tube no problem 🙂

How do you fill with c02 before filling? Just connect up the gas disconnect and purge multiple times? Or is there a trick to it? 

Cheers. 

Edited by MitchellScott

1 hour ago, MitchellScott said:

Unfortunately with the coopers fv and new tap the tube won't go over it like that but I should be able to use the bottling valve tube no problem 🙂

How do you fill with c02 before filling? Just connect up the gas disconnect and purge multiple times? Or is there a trick to it? 

Cheers. 

No tricks, it's that simple. BUT make sure before you open the FV tap let the gas pressure out otherwise you will fill the FV with a rush of bubbles that may ruin your cold crash efforts.

• Haha 1

One way you can do it is to completely fill the keg with water, then use CO2 to empty it. With this method the water displaces the air and obviously is fully replaced by CO2. Simply filling an empty keg with gas isn't gonna get 100% CO2 inside it even with purging because all it will do is mix with the air already in the keg. 

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

One way you can do it is to completely fill the keg with water, then use CO2 to empty it. With this method the water displaces the air and obviously is fully replaced by CO2. Simply filling an empty keg with gas isn't gonna get 100% CO2 inside it even with purging because all it will do is mix with the air already in the keg. 

Not a bad idea.. You would consume a lot more C02 over the period of a year doing it this way though I guess. 

I think for starters I'll fill through the lid and try to minimise any splashing or bubbles. Then once full give it a good purge 4 or 5 times. 

Will see how I go with that method and if needed can always change to using a disconnect to fill. 

6 hours ago, Gus96 said:

No tricks, it's that simple. BUT make sure before you open the FV tap let the gas pressure out otherwise you will fill the FV with a rush of bubbles that may ruin your cold crash efforts.

How do you know when your keg is full? Just measure it on the FV before filling or only do 19L batches in the FV? 

Mitch.

Yeah that's all I'm doing at the moment without any issues. I wouldn't mind trying it the other way though just to see if it is a bit better. 

If you do a cold crash prior, the beer creates condensation on the outside of the keg as it fills, which is handy for judging the level.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Filling the keg with beer & burping it properly does the same thing.

If you don't mind kegging the beer at 18°C or above you could do as PB2 suggested & add approx. a teaspoon of sugar/dextrose into the keg before sealing & allow the yeast to mop up the oxygen naturally before you chill it down & force carbonate it to your desired carbonation level.

I find people are overly paranoid about oxidation. Short exposure isn't particularly harmful, it's more prolonged exposure that will degrade the beer more rapidly.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

When I went to a keg demo day at my LHBS it was explained to me that the CO2 is heavier than the air inside so when filling and burping the bad air is expelled before the CO2.

I cold crash all my batches so when filling he condensation on the outside is a good indicator of how full the keg is and my FV has indicator marks on the side in litre increments so that also helps.

It doesn't quite work that way. Given time, the gases may separate from each other if the keg is kept closed and perfectly still, but if you are simply injecting gas then burping it out again, it will still be mixed with the air already in the keg. The CO2 doesn't instantly drop to the bottom. 

In any case, the minimal oxygen exposure isn't likely to do anything to the beer. If it's burped properly after filling, it would most likely expel any air remaining since the headspace is quite small. 

I haven't had any problems from filling an open keg but I wouldn't mind trying a closed transfer, especially since the kegs are filled outside on the patio. 

• Like 1

Quick question guys...

I have got all my keg kit/gas bottle etc etc.

I have not got my fridge yet though, and my brew is ready to transfer to bottles/keg this weekend. Is it okay to transfer it and start carbonating at room temp? (I'll just set it to about 12PSI and leave it for now).

Then when I get my fridge I can transfer everything into it.

Cheers.