Coopers Community

Different reading after 4 days

Checked gravity in day 6 1.017 (bumped temp up to 20 deg

grav on day 8 1.015

grav on day 9 1.015

grav on day 10 1.015

grav on day 11 (today) 1.014

Is she still going? I was going to leave it for another day or so anyway. Was the yeast just having a sit down for a few days? Decided to get back to work this morning?

TIA

37 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

@The Captain!! I figured as much but the last one made me hesitant....I never check the gravity that much. Dunno why I did it this time 

Probably because you thought 1.015 was a little bit high, depending on the beer.

I have started to do what @Otto Von Blotto does and when I take a SG sample I leave it in the freezer, beside the brew, with the hydrometer in it.  It will keep fermenting in the sample tube and is a good approximation of what the SG is in the fermenter.  That way I do not need to take a daily sample and waste too much beer.  Especially important on my Craft and half sized brews.

I agree with the Captain though.  It is probably done.  One last check tomorrow and you should be good to go.

• Thanks 1

What's the recipe?

I usually leave the sample with the hydrometer in it somewhere out of the fridge, that way it ferments out before the main batch and I have a rough idea what to expect the FG to be. Sort of like a fast ferment test but a crude version.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Thanks 1