Coopers Community

Quick Question: Stout and lager yeast

Marty_G

I am about to do a stout with 1kg DDM and Fuggles which will be for me to drink in winter 2020 .... so my question as  I bottle condition them for nearly 12 months if I used something like W34/70 rather than an ale yeast how much complexity of flavour would it lose  ... I expect the profile would be clean and crisp and more like a dark lager rather than a stout ... or for those  with more experience suggest sticking to a good Ale yeast I have US05 and Liberty Bell M36 in the fridge ...   cheers ... 

I'm about to tap a stout later today when I get home again, that I fermented with 1056 (US-05), well I think I did, I'll have to check my notes 😂, it might have been 1469. I'll let you know how it went when I try a glass. 

I haven't done a stout with lager yeast before, I imagine the flavour would be different to an ale yeast but by how much I have no idea. 

• Like 1

You'll miss out on the esters if you use 34/70 , will lose a little complexity. 

It will also likely attenuate slightly more , even chugging away a point or 2 in the bottles potentially being over carbed next winter. 

For long term storage I like Coopers ale yeast,  I've sampled beers bottled 20 years ago that were outstanding 

• Like 2