Coopers Community

hydrometer, by b*stards incorporated...

worry wort

3 minutes ago, worry wort said:

why is it, no matter how slowly or deliberately you do it, but the second you put a hydrometer into a sample, it will spin around so the readings are facing away from you......

This has been ticking me off no end. Every time, without fail, the scale will be on the other end of the test tube. Drives me mad. 

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I was going to say - Why don't they make a hydrometer with scales all the way around

The standard glass ones have different scales for wine as well,  I picked up a smaller one only reads from 0.990 to 1.025 from a scientific supply place. 

6 hours ago, worry wort said:

why is it, no matter how slowly or deliberately you do it, but the second you put a hydrometer into a sample, it will spin around so the readings are facing away from you......

The slogan “That’s what ya call a real ba&”ard” 

2 hours ago, Mark D Pirate said:

The standard glass ones have different scales for wine as well,  I picked up a smaller one only reads from 0.990 to 1.025 from a scientific supply place. 

i've got one I've had for years, but it only reads 0 to 1.046, so some of these brews I'm making now exceed that so had to buy this thing about a foot long with all kinds of markings on it

11 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Wouldn't it be hard to read the hydrometer scale while doing it.  

I set aside two minutes. 

So that gives me at least 1:30 spare to check the hydrometer reading.

• Haha 3