Coopers Community

Coopers APA

I'm about to start a Coopers APA but am not quite sure which way to go. If I add the 1.5kg can of light LME, should I add more hops? If so which type would be suitable, to preserve its character? I could use the EB2 it is asking for but am not sure that's what I want.

Any suggestions?

20 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I'm about to start a Coopers APA but am not quite sure which way to go. If I add the 1.5kg can of light LME, should I add more hops? If so which type would be suitable, to preserve its character? I could use the EB2 it is asking for but am not sure that's what I want.

Any suggestions?

I definitely go with the 1.5kg LME.   Hop additions are a worthy consideration and will certainly help enhance the beer.  They are typically added in the form of a hop tea, dry-hop or both.  I don't know if the character will be 'preserved' as hops can of course dramatically influence that.  I guess what you mean is using hops that are considered more consistent with the style.   There's no right answer as to the choice of hops to use though, as a lot of personal taste and preference also comes into play.   However there are some hops that would be very unlikely feature in a pale ale.  You could just play it safe and maybe select the classic American "C" hops (Cascade, Centennial, Chinook or Columbus) but there's plenty of other worthy contenders too!  

2 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

I definitely go with the 1.5kg LME.   Hop additions are a worthy consideration and will certainly help enhance the beer.  They are typically added in the form of a hop tea, dry-hop or both.  I don't know if the character will be 'preserved' as hops can of course dramatically influence that.  I guess what you mean is using hops that are considered more consistent with the style.   There's no right answer as to the choice of hops to use though, as a lot of personal taste and preference also comes into play.   However there are some hops that would be very unlikely feature in a pale ale.  You could just play it safe and maybe select the classic American "C" hops (Cascade, Centennial, Chinook or Columbus) but there's plenty of other worthy contenders too!  

Yes, that's what I meant. I find adding 1.5kg LME adds more sweetness, which I'd like to balance out with some extra hops. I do have some Cascade and Centennial hops on hand, as well as a few others but I don't think Saaz or Hallertau are a good choice 🙂 

• Like 1