Coopers Community

Dark Saison recipe

OK I want to brew a winter Saison based on a recipe I have previously brewed and changing light LME for something (dark, or amber).

Original (was really good)
* 1 x Black Rock Pale Ale 1.7kg
* 1x Black Rock Whispering Wheat 1.7kg
* 500g Mangrove Jack's Unhopped Light Dried Malt Extract
* 25 g Czech Saaz Hops (steeped in 500 g water for hop tea)
* Mangrove Jack's M29 French Saison Yeast

And that origional recipe was converted from here https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/saison.html but due to lack of coopers in my town I used Black Rock.

Now I thinking of changing the 500 Light Dried Malt Extract for either a Dark or Amber. Also open to changing to DME if that's better.

Any thoughts / tips / suggestions?

Thanks.

6 hours ago, duffy said:

Any thoughts / tips / suggestions?

Hi Duffy

Generally sounds good.  I did the Saison recipe with Coopers Australian Pale Ale and the Preachers Hefe Wheat in late February.  I swapped out the Light Dry Malt for Wheat Dry Malt (because that is what I had).  It turned out great.  I have done another Saison since using the Mexican Cerveza and 1kg Light Dry Malt.  It is good too.  Just a bit lighter flavour.

I think this is a style that would benefit from a Dark or Amber Malt Extract (Dry or liquid probably does not matter, as long as you allow for the malt weight difference between dry and liquid).  The robust yeast influence should be able to handle the stronger flavour that the darker malts would bring.

If I was in your position right now, I would make up the wort without the malt extract, then split it into two fermenters and make up one half with 250g Amber Malt Extract and the other half with 250g Dark Malt Extract.  Then compare the pair once ready to drink.

Cheers Shamus

• Like 1

Also if your up for some steeping of grains try some Carahell or similar crystal mixed with an Amber dry/liquid malt rather than dark malt and you’ll get a nice darker amber beer. Don’t worry too much about it having a little more estimated gravity than 1.010 as that yeast will chop it’s way through bed sheets given the chance!

It’ll finish really dry in most cases.

Slight amount of orange peel might work too. 

Good luck with your brew.

• Like 1