Coopers Community

Euro lager dress up

Tömmy8888

Hey guys. Just picked up some stuff before the end of sale in Big W. Got a can of Euro lager as its cold now so i can give lager a shot. Any good ideas how to dress the beer up a bit. It calls for BE3 and i will definitely add Saaz hops but do you guys have any other good ideas or expetience with this kit ?

When I read The heading I thought European lager dress up party cool! He really takes his lager seriously😆

I made it once with a kg of ldm and Saaz hops it turned out nice. I actually liked it after a week in the bottle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was my second brew.  I did it to the recommended recipe.  BE3.  No other additions.  I aged it for 3 months in a cupboard at about 18C.

I brewed a couple of other brews in the meantime.  Of the first few I did, the Euro was the first one I did that people who tasted it thought it was really nice.  Made me feel pretty chuffed.

I have gone on to bigger and better things since, but I still remember that brew.

22 hours ago, BHB19 said:

When I read The heading I thought European lager dress up party cool! He really takes his lager seriously😆

I made it once with a kg of ldm and Saaz hops it turned out nice. I actually liked it after a week in the bottle.

That would be a great idea for a party for sure. I would be dressed as Pilsner Urquell

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

I did this not long ago with 

300g of steeped crystal

500g LDM 

and 10min boil of 30g saaz

used w34/70 yeast and the coopers yeast but next time I’ll pitch two packs of w34/70 instead. 

Hmmm I have 250g Crystal left, some Saaz and a kilo of DME around Just no lager yeast. Might get some during the week. The Euro lager was on my list for next brew day but wasn't sure how to dress it up. was thinking a kg of DME and some Hallertau hop tea.🙂 

• Like 1

Personally I'd keep the crystal out of it. It's not a normal ingredient in a Euro lager and would possibly make it overly sweet. Lager yeasts already accentuate the malt to some degree. 

I think they're better with pilsner malt but it's not as readily available in extract form so perhaps 1kg of LDM with 200g dextrose, and whichever hop you like. Saaz or Hallertau (I've used both Hersbrucker and Mittelfrüeh) would work, or Tettnanger, Spalt. Short boil and/or hop tea. Dry hopping isn't to style but could be done if you really wanted to. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Personally I'd keep the crystal out of it. It's not a normal ingredient in a Euro lager and would possibly make it overly sweet. Lager yeasts already accentuate the malt to some degree. 

I think they're better with pilsner malt but it's not as readily available in extract form so perhaps 1kg of LDM with 200g dextrose, and whichever hop you like. Saaz or Hallertau (I've used both Hersbrucker and Mittelfrüeh) would work, or Tettnanger, Spalt. Short boil and/or hop tea. Dry hopping isn't to style but could be done if you really wanted to. 

Thanks Otto

10 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

. The Euro lager was on my list for next brew day but wasn't sure how to dress it up. was thinking a kg of DME and some Hallertau hop tea.🙂 

Exactly what's in the fermenter now sitting day 5 at 13 degrees. Following Kelsey's/PB2s temp plan so will go to 18 soon. I also nabbed it at Big W after thinking about a 'proper' lager for a while but this seemed an easier/quicker option with hopefully ok results. Oh, threw 50mg in the tea as I wanted to push the aroma/flavour a bit. Give me a month or two and I'll let you know how it turns out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Cerveja said:

Exactly what's in the fermenter now sitting day 5 at 13 degrees. Following Kelsey's/PB2s temp plan so will go to 18 soon. I also nabbed it at Big W after thinking about a 'proper' lager for a while but this seemed an easier/quicker option with hopefully ok results. Oh, threw 50mg in the tea as I wanted to push the aroma/flavour a bit. Give me a month or two and I'll let you know how it turns out.

I've got a Euro Lager to go on when I get my act together.
What is Kelsey's and PB2's temperature plan please.

ta

I pitch and ferment at 10/11/12 degrees, then when the SG gets down into the low 1.020s (usually after about 5-6 days) I allow the brew to rise to 18 (by itself, not artificially heated unless required). It sits up there until a few days after FG is reached (14 days since yeast pitch), then I slowly drop it down to about 3 degrees for lagering. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1

Straight from the horses's mouth....As Kelsey pitches large (hmmmm, does that sound right?) he pitches at ferment temp. PB2's recipes are kit based and usually state to start about 18-22 and lower to 12/13 over a couple of days. Gives the yeast a chance to build up numbers. After that as per Kelsey above.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Tömmy8888 said:

Finally gonna brew the Euro lager today ...... do you guys recon 1 or 1.5 kg of DME?? 

Hey Tommy

If you have temperature control for your ferment you cannot go wrong with this brew.  For me, because this is a good can to brew, the choice is about alcohol content.  1kg LDM gets you to about 4.2% including secondary ferment in the bottle: 1.5kg around 5% (brewed to 23L).  More malt will also get a more concentrated taste.  A side-by-side taste test would be interesting.

I am sure it will be great whichever way you go.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2019 at 1:51 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey Tommy

If you have temperature control for your ferment you cannot go wrong with this brew.  For me, because this is a good can to brew, the choice is about alcohol content.  1kg LDM gets you to about 4.2% including secondary ferment in the bottle: 1.5kg around 5% (brewed to 23L).  More malt will also get a more concentrated taste.  A side-by-side taste test would be interesting.

I am sure it will be great whichever way you go.

Dry hop time this weekend and one more week in FV. Bottle cleaning time now ...... i always dread that one

• Like 1