Coopers Community

Hop Slam IPA (Bramling Cross)

The Bramling Cross version was one of the early iterations of HOP SLAM.  At that time, we were keeping it very simple and suggesting to add the hops once the brew is set and yeast pitched.
Add them around Day 5, if that's your pref'!  👍

1 hour ago, SteveL said:

Am about to put down - https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/hop-slam-ipa-uk-bramling-cross.html

Has anyone done it? Seeking clarification re the hop addition, am I correct in assuming it's a dry hop (ie day five or so)? The instructions don't mention when to add...

Cheers

Thanks Paul, much appreciated!

Am thinking of, instead of dry hopping,, doing a boil of say 15 grams each at 15mins/10mins/flameout,...assume that would turn out pretty tasty? Have done this schedule in IPAs with other hops and has been nice, but not with Bramling Cross which I use frequently (and love!) in English bitters...

Cheers!

• Like 1

Sorry to be a little of topic on this one, but the British styled IPA's don't get much airplay. This discussion looked as good as any to perhaps to discuss it given the ingredients of this hop slam version.

I really enjoy the James Squires Stowaway IPA. It's hard to source across SA these days that is a little sad. I reckon it's a great beer for what it is meant to be. It's one of the rare British style IPA's I know of out in the commercial market place. My limited interpretation of the British IPA's are that they are bitter MALT bombs, compared to the American IPA's that are bitter HOP bombs.

If I could best describe my last taste of the Stowaway IPA, it tastes like a more caramelised, but more bittered version of Coopers Sparkling Ale with slightly different hopping notes. From memory, they share the same ABV%.

I might have a crack at making this beer using the Coopers Sparkling Ale kit as a base. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty. 

• Like 2

I just looked into this beer. No wonder I haven't seen it anywhere, apparently it was discontinued in 2017. 😢

That's OK, I'm smart enough to re-create something close to it....after a few attempts. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For anyone interested in this thread:

I added 45g Bramling Cross (15g @15m; 15g @10; 15g at 5)

Tasted today at bit over 4 weeks in the bottle and, wow...totally blown away by how good it is, next level delicious. Highly recommend!

• Like 4

Cheers for the info Steve - I might try this as I have some bramling cross hops spare.

Lusty - if you do recreate the Stowaway would you be kind enough to post your recipe? That was my favourite IPA - very disappointed when they discontinued it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazzala said:

...Lusty - if you do recreate the Stowaway would you be kind enough to post your recipe? That was my favourite IPA - very disappointed when they discontinued it.

https://www.jamessquire.com.au/craft-beer/stow-away-ipa/

You obviously understand the beer pretty well on taste. Take a look at the ingredient list & give it a go on what you think the quantities are.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Thanks 1