MitchellScott

Crown Lager/VB Extract Recipe

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Maybe try using dry malt instead of liquid. It tends to be a bit more fermentable for some reason.

Certainly helped a bit... Looks like dry malt will work better for the colour I am after too - achieving just over 6EBC should be fine. So I think this will be the go for the brew now after the adjustments suggested by everyone 🙂

image.thumb.png.887c85420bf45985838421288e4cde37.png

Mitch.

Edited by MitchellScott

Yeah you are going to struggle with extract to get it down. All grain you have more options in regard to mash temp. 1kg of sugar though will be the worse of two evils in my opinion.

Your other option is dry enzyme but that will make it go lower than 1006. Will tast more like an extra dry or a carlton dry

2 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah you are going to struggle with extract to get it down. All grain you have more options in regard to mash temp. 1kg of sugar though will be the worse of two evils in my opinion.

Your other option is dry enzyme but that will make it go lower than 1006. Will tast more like an extra dry or a carlton dry

The best I can do is go to 1.7kg of LDME and reduce the sugar to 0.5kg. That will get me to 4.5% kegged and a estimated FG of 1.008, which is still within style.

As you have said, not much else I can do with the limitations of extract.

Cheers 🙂

Alright guys, for those who care.

This is the final recipe I have come up with and will be rolling with:

image.thumb.png.09fcae91330868670cd007b7647517bb.png

Hoping to get it down by the weekend and will keep you all updated with the progress. The old mans bday is Nov 3rd so no doubt that is when the first beer will be poured.

Thanks for everyone's help, much appreciated!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MitchellScott said:

And we are off! 

20190918_200016.jpg

Ahh the old stove top boil. Brings back some memories. Till the missus ordered me to get an urn and get into the garage. All worked out well 😆

• Haha 1

I'm behind ya Mitch but don't be touting things like this... LOL! 

TheVeryBest.PNG

I don't mind a "Crowny" or two though when I'm out & about.

I won't lie, I am interested in how this turns out as I think there are a few tricks & unknowns about reproducing the beer exactly. People only ever speak of getting relatively close from what I've read over the years from those that have tried.

Best of luck,

Lusty.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Ahh the old stove top boil. Brings back some memories. Till the missus ordered me to get an urn and get into the garage. All worked out well 😆

Yep nothing better then the old stove top boil 😉

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

I'm behind ya Mitch but don't be touting things like this... LOL! 

TheVeryBest.PNG

I don't mind a "Crowny" or two though when I'm out & about.

I won't lie, I am interested in how this turns out as I think there are a few tricks & unknowns about reproducing the beer exactly. People only ever speak of getting relatively close from what I've read over the years from those that have tried.

Best of luck,

Lusty.

Good to hear someone is interested. I'll leave Dad up to the tasting although he seems to just say "mmm that's alright" to everything I give him hahahaha. 

Well she is in the fridge coming down to pitching temp. OG is spot on at 1.044.

20190918_221405.jpg

• Like 2