Coopers Community

Crown Lager/VB Extract Recipe

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Maybe try using dry malt instead of liquid. It tends to be a bit more fermentable for some reason.

Certainly helped a bit... Looks like dry malt will work better for the colour I am after too - achieving just over 6EBC should be fine. So I think this will be the go for the brew now after the adjustments suggested by everyone 🙂

image.thumb.png.887c85420bf45985838421288e4cde37.png

Mitch.

Edited by MitchellScott

Yeah you are going to struggle with extract to get it down. All grain you have more options in regard to mash temp. 1kg of sugar though will be the worse of two evils in my opinion.

Your other option is dry enzyme but that will make it go lower than 1006. Will tast more like an extra dry or a carlton dry

2 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah you are going to struggle with extract to get it down. All grain you have more options in regard to mash temp. 1kg of sugar though will be the worse of two evils in my opinion.

Your other option is dry enzyme but that will make it go lower than 1006. Will tast more like an extra dry or a carlton dry

The best I can do is go to 1.7kg of LDME and reduce the sugar to 0.5kg. That will get me to 4.5% kegged and a estimated FG of 1.008, which is still within style.

As you have said, not much else I can do with the limitations of extract.

Cheers 🙂

Alright guys, for those who care.

This is the final recipe I have come up with and will be rolling with:

image.thumb.png.09fcae91330868670cd007b7647517bb.png

Hoping to get it down by the weekend and will keep you all updated with the progress. The old mans bday is Nov 3rd so no doubt that is when the first beer will be poured.

Thanks for everyone's help, much appreciated!

• Like 3

I'm behind ya Mitch but don't be touting things like this... LOL! 

TheVeryBest.PNG

I don't mind a "Crowny" or two though when I'm out & about.

I won't lie, I am interested in how this turns out as I think there are a few tricks & unknowns about reproducing the beer exactly. People only ever speak of getting relatively close from what I've read over the years from those that have tried.

Best of luck,

Lusty.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Ahh the old stove top boil. Brings back some memories. Till the missus ordered me to get an urn and get into the garage. All worked out well 😆

Yep nothing better then the old stove top boil 😉

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

I'm behind ya Mitch but don't be touting things like this... LOL! 

TheVeryBest.PNG

I don't mind a "Crowny" or two though when I'm out & about.

I won't lie, I am interested in how this turns out as I think there are a few tricks & unknowns about reproducing the beer exactly. People only ever speak of getting relatively close from what I've read over the years from those that have tried.

Best of luck,

Lusty.

Good to hear someone is interested. I'll leave Dad up to the tasting although he seems to just say "mmm that's alright" to everything I give him hahahaha. 

Well she is in the fridge coming down to pitching temp. OG is spot on at 1.044.

20190918_221405.jpg

• Like 4

I think this is pretty awesome. I have wanted to brew a beer like this for awhile but never had the proper motivation. I hope it comes out right, from the advice given it sounds like it will be spot on.

If your Dad likes this beer, that is all that matters.

Good brewing Mate

Norris

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Norris! said:

I think this is pretty awesome. I have wanted to brew a beer like this for awhile but never had the proper motivation. I hope it comes out right, from the advice given it sounds like it will be spot on.

If your Dad likes this beer, that is all that matters.

Good brewing Mate

Norris

Cheers mate! Hoping he likes it, was a good fun experiment either way. 

This was the fermenter this morning, krausen has formed and is fermenting away nicely at 12C.

Mitch.

20190920_073931.jpg

• Like 4

Update... 

Brews fermenting away nicely with lots of yeast activity flying around in the FV and a nice thick krausen. 

SG is currently sitting at about 1.021. Have kept the sample in the FV fridge with the FV to monitor approximate SG. 

Once it hits around 1.015 I'll bump the temp on the inkbird to 18C and let it naturally rise over a few days to finish it off and do a diacetyl rest. 

One thing I did forget about..... The wonderful smell of lager yeasts 🤮 yuuuuck. 

Mitch. 

20190923_220809.jpg

• Like 3

Update time....

So I raised the inkbird on Wednesday night and disconnected the heat belt to allow the temp to raise naturally. Was up to 16.5C when I got home from work yesterday so I plugged the heatbelt back in the get it up to 18C. SG was reading 1.010 last night when I checked it.

Had a little sample taste a few nights ago while it was still fermenting at 12C and I must say (although I am not a big fan of VB), it is tasting pretty decent and I think not too far off. Clean flavour, still a little sweet obviously but I think it will be a nice beer. Still very cloudy but that is expected considering it's still fermenting.

I will leave at 18C for 3-4 days to allow fermentation to finish and the yeast to clean up any Diacetyl before crashing to 1C and adding Isinglass. I will leave it cold crashing in the FV for approx 2 weeks before it will go into the keg for lagering till November.

Mitch.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Update time!

Well, it was the old mans Birthday yesterday so gave him a schooner to try and also tried one myself. As they were the first pours they were a little cloudy but not too bad actually. Still quite clear. I think there is some level of chill haze but will know certainly once we have a few more glasses to clear out anymore sediment that has dropped to the bottom of the keg.

He was very impressed. The schooner certainly didn't last long 😛

I didn't grab any pics so will have to update later on that. He still had a case of VB in the fridge so I've told him to finish that first and let this one lager a bit longer - the longer the better.

Visually the beer was (as expected) lighter then VB in colour however taste wise I think we are as close as we can get using extract. It's definitely a summer smashable beer and was nice and crisp. I'm a happy man! Will grab some pics once he starts drinking the keg 🙂

Cheers to everyone that helped out!

Edited by MitchellScott
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...

Just poured myself one of these to try after a good offering period. Dad has been getting through the keg and seems the be enjoying it. 

Here’s what it looks like now 🙂 The bench makes it look a yellowy greeny colour but it was dark outside so it was the best I could do lol.

4CFA1E40-772D-4CF8-9AB5-863C8E19E9A4.jpeg

Edited by MitchellScott
  • Like 2

Congrats on the beer Mitch!

If you end up making another batch for your Dad (see how I got you out of admitting you like VB!) you could add a little medium crystal steep to tweak the EBC a little darker. 😉

OK, that's enough about VB.... 😶

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

3 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Congrats on the beer Mitch!

If you end up making another batch for your Dad (see how I got you out of admitting you like VB!) you could add a little medium crystal steep to tweak the EBC a little darker. 😉

OK, that's enough about VB.... 😶

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I'll drink anything... But certainly won't go out and buy a case of VB 😛 A nice lager is brilliant on a hot Summer's day. But since moving to home brew I'm loving my Ales, and the fact they are quicker to brew is a bonus 🙂

I've just ordered myself a nice BrewZilla so am making the move to AG. I'd be keen to try it again with AG and compare the difference.

Cheers!!

• Like 4