Coopers Community

exceeding volume

How much does adding extra water affect a brew? I usually fill to the 24ltr mark even though most brews call for 23l, and some 20l, I imagine it would affect it a bit, but to what extent would say an extra one or two litres of water make over the fermentation stage?

1 hour ago, worry wort said:

How much does adding extra water affect a brew? I usually fill to the 24ltr mark even though most brews call for 23l, and some 20l, I imagine it would affect it a bit, but to what extent would say an extra one or two litres of water make over the fermentation stage?

A litre you would probably not even notice a difference.  Four litres would start to make a difference.

If you are making them for you and you like them like that, who cares.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, worry wort said:

How much does adding extra water affect a brew?

I brewed a Coopers Pale Ale extract (pimped) so plenty of extra fermentable stuff and accidently filled to 26 litres. Fermented much the same and tasted the same.

Bonus getting a few extra long necks too. So reckon you will not notice a litre extra.

Cheers

Edited by YeastyBoy

• 2 weeks later...

It will affect the beer by around 2 to 3 points of Original Gravity per litre.

Eg: 20L for OG 1.040. Add 3 litres of water, you are now approx 1.032.

Your final ABV will be affected considerably. Plus it will end up a thinner tasting beer.

Cheers

I did the Coopers Deuce Lager @ 25ltrs as per recipe and it was to thin for my taste, might try it again later with 22ltrs.

I am not worried about ABV in any of my brews, just taste.