Coopers Community

how to convert coopers recipe to AG please

Hi all,

just got my BIAB kit this weekend YIPEE and put down a pale ale.

and would like to know how to covert this extract recipe below to all grain

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/capital-pils.html

Capital Pils
Beer Style                Lager
Flavour Proèle         Malty, Hoppy, Floral, Fruity
Alcohol Content      8.3
Colour (EBC)            11
Bitterness (IBU)       60
Volume                    23L
Difèculty                  Intermediate
INGREDIENTS
2 x 1.7kg Thomas Cooper 86 Days Pilsner
2 x 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt
1 x 500g Coopers Dextrose
2 x 25g Hallertau Mittlefrueh Hop Pellets
2 x 50g Hallertau Mittlefrueh Hop Pellets
2 x 11.5g Safager W-34/70 Dry Yeast
1 x 250g Coopers Carbonation Drops

just finished a keg of this stuff last night and I WANT MORE.

be good if i could go the All Grain route if possible.

Thanks in advance for any info guys.

Cheers Al.

Not knowing the exact makeup of the kit makes it harder to convert, as does the unknown efficiency of the brewing equipment, and how those listed ingredients are used i.e. the hops (boiled, steeped? How long?).

For a 20 odd litre batch to 8ish% ABV I would need to use at least 8kg of grain on my system, but that's using all malt. Obviously the 500g dextrose would add about 1% so the grain weight would be lowered. 

On 4/29/2019 at 10:41 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Not knowing the exact makeup of the kit makes it harder to convert, as does the unknown efficiency of the brewing equipment, and how those listed ingredients are used i.e. the hops (boiled, steeped? How long?).

For a 20 odd litre batch to 8ish% ABV I would need to use at least 8kg of grain on my system, but that's using all malt. Obviously the 500g dextrose would add about 1% so the grain weight would be lowered. 

Hi Otto,

its a 40lt urn and i just followed the recipe in the link below

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/capital-pils.html

Cheers Al.

On 5/5/2019 at 4:18 PM, AlanT58 said:

Hi Porsche

Its a 40 lt urn

Ah, don't think you're going to be able to hit that abv level without sparging or using a bit of dextrose / malt extract to hit the OG. The recipe I originally posted needs 42.5 litres of mash volume for a normal no sparge full volume BIAB.

You could mash 7kg Pils malt in 34.25l water (around 33l room temp). That will take up around 39l volume and yield roughly 30l wort at a conservative estimate of 1.052 SG (I'd mash for 90 mins).

If you boil for 60 mins at an estimated 3l/h boil off, that will give you roughly 26l of 1.058 wort. 

Once you transfer to the fermenter and leave most of the trub behind you will likely have around 23l of 1.058 wort to ferment. I'd use a hop spider or hop bags in the boil as you need a lot of Hallertauer to get the bitterness because of its low AA%.

If you then add 1kg LDM into the fermenter you will add 16 SG points in 23l, so this would get you to an OG of around 1.074 at a conservative estimate. With enough lager yeast doing their job that should get you in the ballpark ABV-wise as well.

I've updated the recipe attached, note that hop quantities change due to the lower gravity boil. 

Cheers, 

John 

Recipe: capital_pils.xlsx

Edited by porschemad911

There is dextrose in the original kit based recipe. 

Another method I've used with good effect is a reiterated mash. Mash half the grains, remove them then mash the other half in the wort created by the first mash. It is obviously more time consuming though so it's only something I do occasionally when I can dedicate an entire day to brewing it. 

30 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

There is dextrose in the original kit based recipe. 

Another method I've used with good effect is a reiterated mash. Mash half the grains, remove them then mash the other half in the wort created by the first mash. It is obviously more time consuming though so it's only something I do occasionally when I can dedicate an entire day to brewing it. 

What do you use to do the maths on that Kelsey? 

I just create the recipe as a normal BIAB recipe but on brew day use a couple of litres of extra strike water and obviously split the mash. Because I only do this with big grain bills, I do drop the efficiency down about 7-8%. I only do it with 21 litre batches because there wouldn't be room in the urn to do it with my 25 litre ones.

Last one I did had just over 9kg of grain in it, and wound up at an OG of 1.0855 in 21 litres, which was 1 point under the predicted OG. I think the pre boil was 1.069 or so but I would have to check Beersmith for that, and the mash and overall efficiencies. From memory overall it was about 6-7% lower than my usual 4-5kg recipes, around 5% higher than it has been when I've just mashed the whole grain bill at once. Even though it takes more time, it's a hell of a lot easier to manage the grain weight. 

23 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I just create the recipe as a normal BIAB recipe but on brew day use a couple of litres of extra strike water and obviously split the mash. Because I only do this with big grain bills, I do drop the efficiency down about 7-8%. 

Ah ok I thought you might have had something mathematical I could pinch... Going to add a tab to my spreadsheet to calculate this. 

Cheers, 

John