Coopers Community

TOUCAN STOUT

2 hours ago, Gazzala said:

My local Dan's didn't have the Dark Ale tin - or the BE3. Only Lager, Pale Ale and BE2. So I got a Pale Ale and a BE2. Now to find a simple, bomb-proof receipe for Pale Ale + BE2.

@Bearded Burbler Did you use both kit yeasts in your Toucan?

Aaaaah Gazz - mate - you ask all the hard questions...  you noticed I had said nothing about yeast 😝 and I have failed as a good brewer in no record re what my yeast pitch was... from memory I just used one sachet of the yeast that came with the brew... like the Dark Ale packet and hung on to the other.... seems to be different views on this... e.g. the high OG therefore one should pitch both... do starters etc etc... I think that some of this game is 'a little forgiving'.... I pitched warm - early 20s from memory - and then ran at 18 deg C and everything was fine and dandy.  Cannot hurt to pitch both by any means.

I think Temp Control is very helpful to make a good brew... and this one just turned out great... 

3 hours ago, Gazzala said:

My local Dan's didn't have the Dark Ale tin - or the BE3. 

I've had similar problems with out of stocks at Dan's occasionally. Is ordering click & collect online a possibility for you? It'll guarantee you get the special price but it might mean you have to wait for stock to arrive.

56 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Aaaaah Gazz - mate - you ask all the hard questions...  you noticed I had said nothing about yeast 😝 and I have failed as a good brewer in no record re what my yeast pitch was... from memory I just used one sachet of the yeast that came with the brew... like the Dark Ale packet and hung on to the other.... seems to be different views on this... e.g. the high OG therefore one should pitch both... do starters etc etc... I think that some of this game is 'a little forgiving'.... I pitched warm - early 20s from memory - and then ran at 18 deg C and everything was fine and dandy.  Cannot hurt to pitch both by any means.

I think Temp Control is very helpful to make a good brew... and this one just turned out great... 

😁👍

I’m the same actually - no notes and my memory is shite!

I’m thinking of creating a database to store my brew info in... I’ve tried a few apps but none are really what I’m after so will create my own I think...

Totally agree on the temp control- I’ve noticed a huge difference since setting up my brew fridge.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Pitch both yeasts. High OG beers need it. 

Gazz - I would go with Kelsey's advice on this...

I got away with one smack-pack but I reckon to sure up getting a good result... go the two...  I think Paddy would agree with us... to be sure to be sure 🤨

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Hey there Steve.... I did a Toucan Coops Dark Ale + Coops OS Lager not that long ago...  so the two tins plus kilo of light dried malt extract for good measure in 23L  ; )

....came out beautifully!

Just a thought for another possibility... Lovely creamy brew.

Sounds good, bit of a beast abv wise tho!

13 hours ago, SG114 said:

Sounds good, bit of a beast abv wise tho!

Ah dear... yes am a bit of a sucker for a bit more A in the V... so just drop the LDME and you are back down in reasonable ABV country 😜

Noting that Coopers BES is 6.3% ABV ; )

Edited by Bearded Burbler

On 6/1/2019 at 10:06 AM, MUZZY said:

Hi Steve.
I just stick to the recipe and it makes a beautiful beer IMO.
1.7kg Dark Ale + 1kg BE3 + the kit yeast. 

I made this but only to 19 ltrs for a bit of extra strength and fermented with Cooper's commercial ale yeast from a 6 pack of pale. Bloody beautiful drop. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2019 at 10:36 AM, MUZZY said:

Hi Steve.
I just stick to the recipe and it makes a beautiful beer IMO.
1.7kg Dark Ale + 1kg BE3 + the kit yeast. 

I totally agree, I reckon it's nicer than the commercial version.  Not as well made obviously but I much prefer the flavour.  Bit sweeter and more chocolatey!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't recall any mention of a toucan using the Irish stout.

I've done it and find it a bit too sweet, (56 weeks old, harvested Coopers yeast, kg dex).

For the classic OS stout/dark ale kg dex, 80 week old done with harvested coopers yeast and 49 week old done with packet yeast, I don't really have a preference.

I think 52 weeks is better than 26, I'm thinking over 52 doesn't isn't better but it keeps OK.

I've got some from sept 2018 that I probably won't get to until next autumn, I expect they'll be OK.  I accept the high alcohol content gives a longer shelf life idea.

Edited by Marvin

On 6/1/2019 at 3:00 PM, Gazzala said:

My local Dan's didn't have the Dark Ale tin - or the BE3. Only Lager, Pale Ale and BE2. So I got a Pale Ale and a BE2. Now to find a simple, bomb-proof receipe for Pale Ale + BE2.

@Bearded Burbler Did you use both kit yeasts in your Toucan?

I did a quick pale ale recently.

Boiled the 1kg of BE2 and 500g DME in 14 ltrs of water.

7g Galaxy at 10 mins

15g Galaxy at 5 mins

25g Galaxy at FO/whirlpool.

Chilled down added to FV with tin of APA, topped up to 21 ltrs. Cooper's commercial ale yeast at 18 degrees. Dry hopped with 70g Galaxy. 

Bloody beautiful beer.

Edited by karlos_1984
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

If you can boil 14 litres then you could start doing some partial mash beers with a kit or extract.

Yeah it takes a while for the stove to get it up to the boil but it's doable. I've played with steeping grains before in a smaller pot, have made a couple of galaxy based extract beers with some oats to make a sort of lower abv NEIPA which I really liked. I'm gonna have a crack at a mini biab once winter is over and I move away from the darker beers I've been making for winter.

15 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

7g Galaxy at 10 mins

15g Galaxy at 5 mins

25g Galaxy at FO/whirlpool.

Chilled down added to FV with tin of APA, topped up to 21 ltrs. Cooper's commercial ale yeast at 18 degrees. Dry hopped with 70g Galaxy. 

Bloody beautiful beer.

Nice one Karlos - I’ll note the recipe down.

I had to use my brew fridge to chill the wort down over a few hours to get it to pitching temp. I also sanitised a couple of plastic containers (IKEA 2lts ones with clip on lids work well) and froze water in them before the brew day and dumped the ice blocks into the pot after whirlpool to help bring temp down. I did this because I always planned to top up to 21 ltrs anyway so the melted ice just made up some of the top up volume.

Bit unorthodox, but it works for me. Can't justify the wastage of water and cost of buying an immersion chiller at this stage of my brewing.

Edited by karlos_1984
  • Like 1