Coopers Community

TOUCAN STOUT

Hey Guys,

With the cooler weather approaching ( in Adelaide anyway ) I am getting happily involved in a Toucan Stout I brewed about 6 months ago, truly a great taste & very satisfying.

Obviously the longer you store it the better it is, it has given me incentive to keep up the stocks for future drinking pleasures 😜

What's your favourite winter style brew ? I am experimenting with a couple of English Porter styles.

Cheers.

20190428_155403_0074.jpg

I'll drink all the styles I like in winter, but I like the dark ales, porters and stouts more when it's colder. I have a nice big 8.5% stout that'll be going on tap in about a month when the weather starts cooling down more. Then I'll probably brew a porter around September/October so it can age for winter next year. Don't like them much in the warmer weather though. 

I have a dark ale which was done with 1kg of Coopers dark dry malt and a coopers Irish stout ... I also live in SEQld so will drink them on the colder days and put down a couple of similar brews to age for next year ... I do them in Coopers tallies and they are just so smooth and tasty after nearly a year aging ... really don't see the need to pimp them too much as the hops will have dissipated by the time I drink them ... 

I've never seen the point of late hopping up stouts and the like. It's a malt driven style, hops are really only there for bitterness. More late hops doesn't improve every beer style any more than adding crystal malt does. 

Obviously you can do whatever you want with your own beers but there are ingredients and processes that suit some beers better than others. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Colder weather means Coopers Dark Ale for me. Stout is just that little bit too bitter for my taste. Not only does Dark Ale taste good but it's also a brew I've had my best results with. I'm still K&K brewing but when they turn out as well is it does I hardly see the point of changing. That's not to say I won't go down the rabbit hole in the future.

• Like 1

I like to brew hoppy pilsners, marzen and random experimental lagers. 

I like to drink the stout, porter, black saison, brown ale, English IPA etc I've brewed in warmer weather. And the high gravity lagers brewed the winter before. 

As a side, you know in terms of hoppy beers not keeping, my English IPA is a bit of an anomoly. It's been in the bottle nearly 6 months now and when I tried one on the weekend it still smells like sticking your nose in a bag of EKG pellets. I guess I did put 225g into an 11l batch, but it's still doing pretty well to stick around. I've got to do another version of this, but all grain to dry it out a little more than this partial mash version. Maybe the CCA yeast might be the ticket... re-pitch slurry from a smaller beer. 

Cheers, 

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazzala said:

Cheers - another one to add to my list of future brews - that list is getting long! 😁

Another bonus is that Dark Ale is part of the Original Series i.e. readily available at numerous retailers as well as online and it's low priced.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2019 at 12:00 AM, MUZZY said:

Colder weather means Coopers Dark Ale for me. Stout is just that little bit too bitter for my taste. Not only does Dark Ale taste good but it's also a brew I've had my best results with. I'm still K&K brewing but when they turn out as well is it does I hardly see the point of changing. That's not to say I won't go down the rabbit hole in the future.

I’m with you on this one. Having tried(and enjoyed) all sorts,I keep coming back to good old Dark Ale. It is easy,reliable, delicious and with a rich,creamy head that clings beautifully.  I always have at least one in the fridge,and more often than not it will be the one I reach for.  I use 1kg Ldme instead of BE,and sometimes a little extra hops,briefly steeped. But as you say,it doesn’t really need it. It is a great kit for novices as well,being easy and (almost) bomb proof. Get the hygiene and temperature right and you can’t make bad beer from it. Cheers!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gazzala said:

Cheers - another one to add to my list of future brews - that list is getting long! 😁

FYI - I popped into Dan Murphy's tonight. They've got a member offer going at the moment - 1.7kg Dark Ale & BE3 for $17. Bargain!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What does a Dans card actually do. I’ve been swiping mine since 2013 but I’ve never had any money off or benefits. I asked old mate at the till once what benefits i got from it and he looked at me if I was a sex pest 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

43 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

What does a Dans card actually do. I’ve been swiping mine since 2013 but I’ve never had any money off or benefits. I asked old mate at the till once what benefits i got from it and he looked at me if I was a sex pest 

I can sort of visualize the perplexed look on the young sales assistant's face you describe, but do find it interesting the interpretation of said look you leapt to. 🤣

😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

I've often asked myself the same question. The only REAL benefit I can see is the member offers they have e.g. the Dark Ale deal I mentioned above. Those offers aren't available without membership.
I'm pretty sure the membership is just Woolies way of tracking your buying habits so they can target you with specific advertising. There's not much point in them sending you cognac specials if you only drink beer.

21 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I'm pretty sure the membership is just Woolies way of tracking your buying habits so they can target you with specific advertising. There's not much point in them sending you cognac specials if you only drink beer.

They keep emailing specials on $50 bottles of wine when I never pay more than $5 for my wife. 😎

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cerveja said:

They keep emailing specials on $50 bottles of wine when I never pay more than $5 for my wife. 😎

I unsubscribed from their emails for that very reason. One time they told me about a bottle of scotch they had on special for $999. WTF?

• Haha 2

Hey troops,

I brewed a basic keg filler pale ale a couple of weeks ago for $18 thanks to the Dan's offer.

Re the dark ale, do you guys use kit yeast when doing it with BE3/kilo malt?

Cheers

Steve

14 hours ago, SG114 said:

Re the dark ale

Hey there Steve.... I did a Toucan Coops Dark Ale + Coops OS Lager not that long ago...  so the two tins plus kilo of light dried malt extract for good measure in 23L  ; )

....came out beautifully!

Just a thought for another possibility... Lovely creamy brew.