Coopers Community

Different Yeasts

BlueBru

I have always just used the supplied yeast with the Coopers kits, and have been following this forum for a while now where different yeasts are regularly mentioned. So, I was wondering what effect different yeasts have on the finished product. Flavour, consumption of malts and sugars, speed of fermentation? 

If you were to do a K &K with a US 05 for example, what changes would you notice? 

Yeah basically everything you said it will change compared to the kit yeast. Yeasts are suited to styles whereas the kit yeast is a good overall yeast. 

US05 for example is great in pale ales and IPAs as it ferments fairly clean tasting and allows the hops to take centre stage.

S04 as another example is good in English style beers and stouts as it allows the malt flavors to take centre stage

As a word of warning if you dont have temperature control or cant keep the temperature constant id be wary of paying the extra for yeast that suits the style. The kit yeasts are very forgiving yeasts at various temperatures. Most of the other yeasts are less so.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah basically everything you said it will change compared to the kit yeast. Yeasts are suited to styles whereas the kit yeast is a good overall yeast. 

So Greeny what do you think would happen if I used exactly the same Coopers Lager OS Kit plus a few kgs of LDME - brewed 'warm' Sep 19 - last year pic and then yesterday pic - which definitely has improved over 7 months...  looks fine -- but to me does not have the real smooth lager taste... more aley if that is possible....still very drinkable... but Aley.  Well I did have some dirty old Dex in there as well.

If I used the same rainwater/springwater + same ingredients (just malt no dex)...  but now with cool temp control... i.e. instead say I ferment it at 12 deg C with SafLager S23 - with a diacetyl rest - and finished it in the bottle at 18 deg C for 2 weeks - then lagered it in the fridge for 3 months at say < 10...  What differences am I going to experience?

image.png.6e835e7b21c953154d22376d0825a74c.png

Also if I have a proper lager yeast in the bottle secondary ferment... am I better off not warming that up to 18 deg C?

Hey BB

Temp control with lager yeast will equal a cleaner and crisper result. Especially if i may say with S23. S23 id do at 10c as well as in my experience it gave fruity ale like flavours at 12c

No probs with bottle conditioning with lager yeast either. Even in tassie they will carb up fine in ambient. Ale yeasts you may have some problems.

Also everyone gives dex a bad name but it does have a place in my brewery particularly in belgian beers. Moderation is the key.