Coopers Community

Chocolate Stout

Alright legends, I’m here again to bleed you of the wealth of knowledge you possess!!

wanna do a chocolate stout in prep for the shitty south coast winter that’s not too far away.

in the larder I’ve a tin of Coopers Stout, 300g Cacao Nibs, LDM, 500g crystal malt grain and 1kg crushed oats and heaps of hops!

thinking of roasting the crystal malt for 45 @ 150 degrees, throwing it into 7L water and steeping @ 64 degrees for 90 mins..the question is when do i add the cacao? During the mash or after or straight into the fermenter with the partial mash!?

got willamette, chinook, northern brewer, summit, Ella and perle hops!

any advice as always is beyond appreciated!

cheers and beers legends 

I have heard that some people add it into the boil. I have made a chocolate stout twice and have added the nibs about 5 days before kegging. I add them straight from the packet but some people soak them in some sort of alcohol before adding them into their fermenters. 

BB

• Thanks 1

What's the reasoning behind roasting the crystal malt? You won't need to steep it for 90 minutes either, what you are doing is not a mash as there are no base malts. 30-40 minutes would suffice, and I'd be using about 3-4 litres of water rather than 7. Temperature isn't important either, mid-high 60s will work but it doesn't have to be maintained at a specific temp the whole time. I used to just heat the water in a pot/saucepan to 70, add the grains and leave it for half an hour (lid on). It likely dropped a few degrees over that time but it didn't matter.

Personally I'd leave the hops out of it, it's a malt driven style. To me they'd be better used in a beer where they will be noticed more.

I don't have any experience with cacao nibs. I get chocolatey flavours in my porters and stouts from the grain makeup. It's more pronounced in the porters, and more of a hint in the stouts. 

• Thanks 1