Coopers Community

Hobgobbler

Lab Cat

As the weather is cooling and my palate wearying of pales, I'm going to be trying more beers like this.

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/hop-gobbler.html

I like this for the dual addition of choc malt and crystal grain. I'm tempted to up the crystal to 200g, what effect will this have?

I'm new to steeping grains, but my current and next brew will have these additions. Why does this recipe just hot steep - and not soak the grain in cold water overnight, like other cooper recipes?

Is there a different approach required for different beer styles? I think there are other bitter-style beers where they do state soaking first. Any enlightenment welcomed.

7 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

Why does this recipe just hot steep - and not soak the grain in cold water overnight, like other cooper recipes?

Probably just because it's an older recipe, the overnight cold steeping seemed to come in later.

I made this beer for my third batch and it was great. Brew it as is first, then if you want more flavour from the crystal, make a note of that for when you do something in the same ballpark again. It was a nicely balanced beer as is...i remember my wife loved it and my Mum's partner couldn't believe I had made it. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 4

The purpose of steeping speciality grains (Crystal & Choc Malt) is to leach the sugars from the grain into the wort. 

I am guessing a hot steep would make this happen quicker (30 minutes) as opposed to a cold water soak (overnight)? Empirically equating it to dissolving a spoonful of sugar in a cup of tea and I personally like to get the brew going so I go the hot steep.

Try both methods and see what results you get and let us know?

BTW went 23l not 25l.

Cheers

Edited by YeastyBoy
litres

1 hour ago, YeastyBoy said:

The purpose of steeping speciality grains (Crystal & Choc Malt) is to leach the sugars from the grain into the wort. 

I am guessing a hot steep would make this happen quicker (30 minutes) as opposed to a cold water soak (overnight)? Empirically equating it to dissolving a spoonful of sugar in a cup of tea and I personally like to get the brew going so I go the hot steep.

I did do a hot steep with my current brew, a nut brown ale. But the grains were only 50g or so of choc malt in a kit converter, so not expecting this to make a huge impact on the brew overall.

• Like 1

Cold steeping overnight is more about extracting less harshness or astringent like flavours. It probably has more effect with darker roasted grains than something like crystal malt though. 

I haven't done it ever, whenever I brew dark beers all the grains are mashed together, but I haven't experienced any harshness or whatever from it. These beers are usually aged for a while but even out of the fermenter they don't have any harsh flavours. 

I didn't experience it when doing hot steeps for kits or extract brewing but I don't remember doing any dark grains back then, it was all light or medium crystal, carapils, caramalt etc. 

2 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

Care to share the recipe, was this with a kit beer?

Yeap my recipe is as follows;

Coopers ESB extract 1.7kg

1kg Dried LME & 250g Dext

Crystal Malt 250g & Choc Malt 150g steeped together 30 min with 1.5l water (66 - 71 C)

EKG 50g boil 15g at 15min, 15g 10 min & 20g at 5min (credit to SteveL) or Dry Hop 50g at day 4.

Make up 23L, pitch S04 & ferment 18 - 21c.

OG was 1044 & sitting around 1014 at present which I reckon is about there. Roughly an ABV 4.5%.

Didn't know it was called a Hobglobber until I saw the ingredients list in your post. I just called it a pimped ESB.

Shame we cannot exchange a bottle for the taste test!!

Cheers

Edited by YeastyBoy
I must learn to spell x 100 times

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers

Put this down last week. Slightly less grains and no dry hop. Used M42 yeast. Sample tastes like an old ale, so this could be a good one.

My gravities are exactly the same, but I didn't add Dex. can't see mine going below 1014 either.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

Cheers

Put this down last week. Slightly less grains and no dry hop. Used M42 yeast. Sample tastes like an old ale, so this could be a good one.

My gravities are exactly the same, but I didn't add Dex. can't see mine going below 1014 either.

Really pleased with the result. So much so put another one down this weekend with a few more tweaks.

The slippery slid into AG?

Nah I like convenience of the extract, can chuck it together in an hour including steeping grains & bittering hops etc.

Cheers